Credit card fraud.

Old September 11th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

Default Credit card fraud.

Just had a nasty scare - some B*****d has been playing fast and loose with
my credit card! Just been talking to Cahoot fraud department, who read me
out a whole list of "purchases" - loads of them with an internet perfume
company.

Nice (understandable for a change) Indian chap. When he came up with an
entry for "Passion Perfume" I said "For God`s sake - I`m 73!" He chuckled
and said "You`re still allowed perfume, Madam!"

Anyway, I think that most if not all was safely blocked - I haven`t noticed
anything untoward on my account, anyway. Phew - just shows you, doesn`t it.
Well done Cahoot, for spotting it! I only found out when trying to place a
Tesco order online and they rejected my card!

I don`t often use my main card - I keep a separate one with a very small
balance for internet payments to people I don`t know.

Anyway - be careful out there!

Pat

Old September 11th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Becky A

Jangchub wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:29:19 +0100, "Pat P"
wrote:

[...]

That's why I use Paypal. Not everyone accepts it so it's their loss.

Victoria

EEEK! That's exactly why I DON'T use PayPal other than when I
absolutely have to. There are ZERO protections if PayPal suddenly
decides to screw you over. They aren't a bank and as such do not have
to behave as one. If they decide to do a freeze and seize on your
account...well, tough ****.

That said, I've been a PayPal member for eight years now. They're a
necessary evil, but I'd NEVER hold up my usage of their services as an
example of 'safe' buying.

I know I don't have to tell you this Vic, but please be careful!
Becky A.
Old September 11th 08, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Becky A

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:30:55 +0200, Becky A
opined:
EEEK! That's exactly why I DON'T use PayPal other than when I
absolutely have to. There are ZERO protections if PayPal suddenly
decides to screw you over. They aren't a bank and as such do not have
to behave as one. If they decide to do a freeze and seize on your
account...well, tough ****.

That said, I've been a PayPal member for eight years now. They're a
necessary evil, but I'd NEVER hold up my usage of their services as an
example of 'safe' buying.

I know I don't have to tell you this Vic, but please be careful!
Becky A.

I have never had anything but smooth transactions with Pay Pal. More
and more places are using it and I believe if you are straight, they
are straight.

I personally know a victim of the freeze and seize. Everything was
above board with her account, but PayPal freaked out when she updated
her account to reflect her married name (following PayPals instructions
to the letter) and is still out $700 for her trouble. They've refused
to talk to her, her lawyer, or anyone else about it.

Myself? No issues at all. However...it's been four years since I last
used my maiden name and I have no plans to tell PayPal about it either.

Becky A.

Old September 12th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:

I don`t often use my main card - I keep a separate one with a very small
balance for internet payments to people I don`t know.

What a great idea - I think I'll call to lower the limit on a card I
use only once a year. Then I'll use it only for online stuff.

Call me crazy, but my morning routine includes not just making coffee
- I call the automated service of my everyday cr. cd. co. and learn
the balance and recent transactions. I don't believe in waiting for
the billing to be done. If anything fraudulent going on, I'm going to
catch it as fast as I can. It takes about one minute.

Old September 12th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:30:55 +0200, Becky A wrote:

EEEK! That's exactly why I DON'T use PayPal other than when I
absolutely have to. There are ZERO protections if PayPal suddenly
decides to screw you over. They aren't a bank and as such do not have
to behave as one. If they decide to do a freeze and seize on your
account...well, tough ****.

That said, I've been a PayPal member for eight years now. They're a
necessary evil, but I'd NEVER hold up my usage of their services as an
example of 'safe' buying.

I know I don't have to tell you this Vic, but please be careful!
Becky A.

It is far more likely someone can write down all the credit card
information when you pay at a restaurant,including the three digit
security code on the back. I'm protected by insurance through my
homeowners insurance policy against fraud up to many thousands of
dollars and it is reasonable.

I usually use PayPal for eBay only. I'm up on all the latest bs going
on.

Victoria

That`s easily dealt with - don`t allow them to take your card at the
restaurant. Insist that everything is dealt with right in front of you -
even if you have to get up and go to where the machine is if they can`t
bring it to the table.

What really bugs me is that my son (who`s in the C.I.D.)worked on a
particularly complex credit card scam for several months - I`ll never hear
the end of it, LOL! At the end of it, the credit card company tried to get
him to go and work for them!

pAT

Old September 12th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P[_2_]

"val189" wrote in message
On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:

I don`t often use my main card - I keep a separate one with a very small
balance for internet payments to people I don`t know.

What a great idea - I think I'll call to lower the limit on a card I
use only once a year. Then I'll use it only for online stuff.

Call me crazy, but my morning routine includes not just making coffee
- I call the automated service of my everyday cr. cd. co. and learn
the balance and recent transactions. I don't believe in waiting for
the billing to be done. If anything fraudulent going on, I'm going to
catch it as fast as I can. It takes about one minute.

Hi Crazy!

I check mine online. Luckily nothing sinister showed up - Cahoot appears to
have managed to block every attempt as far as I can see, bless them. I
would have liked to have heard about the problem before it got to the stage
when Tesco refused my card online though!!!

Pat

Old September 12th 08, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen E.

val189 wrote:
On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:

I don`t often use my main card - I keep a separate one with a very small

balance for internet payments to people I don`t know.

What a great idea - I think I'll call to lower the limit on a card I
use only once a year. Then I'll use it only for online stuff.

My primary credit card allows me to create unique numbers that will work
only at the first place they're used. This is great for online use. Each
online seller I deal with gets a different number from me, and each of
those numbers can only be used at that seller's business. They never get
my actual credit card number.

Karen E.
Old September 12th 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Karen E." wrote in message
val189 wrote:
On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:

I don`t often use my main card - I keep a separate one with a very small

balance for internet payments to people I don`t know.

What a great idea - I think I'll call to lower the limit on a card I
use only once a year. Then I'll use it only for online stuff.

My primary credit card allows me to create unique numbers that will work
only at the first place they're used. This is great for online use. Each
online seller I deal with gets a different number from me, and each of
those numbers can only be used at that seller's business. They never get
my actual credit card number.

Karen E.

I use the virtual account numbers too. I have it set up for my Master Card
and my Discover Card. Besides being dated for only a short time, they carry
a very low monetary limit. If I want to buy something expensive using the
virtual card, I need to call the company in advance and ask them to raise
the limit temporarily.

Lucille

Old September 12th 08, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

On Sep 11, 4:48 pm, Jangchub wrote:
[...]

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

the card being taken from your sight e.g restaurants. Maybe we
should obliterate that 3 digit number and just rely on a good memory
or have it written elsewhere?

Not good idea?

Here's another thought : do you carry when you're traveling a complete
wallet inventory list - I do - I keep it in my travel kit in a plastic
sleeve.. If I lose wallet or it's stolen, I can fall back immed. on
this list, having account numbers and the lost-or-stolen numbers to
call. Friend was robbed at gunpoint of his wallet in a motel room
( used a ruse at 3 am to get him to open his door) and it got me
thinking. I update it about ev. 6 months. He had no idea what was in
that wallet as far as numbers etc. NOt a pleasant feeling.

Old September 12th 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008 23:10:44 -0400, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at
comcast..net wrote:

"Karen E." wrote in message
val189 wrote:
On Sep 11, 12:29 pm, "Pat P" wrote:

[...]

What is that and how do you do it? That sounds very interesting.

Victoria

"If the present and the future
were contingent on the past,
then the present and the future
would have existed in the past."

-Lama Tsongkhapa

http://gotbodhicitta-wangmo.blogspot.com/

Go to your credit card companies website and look for virtual account
numbers. I think most of them provide that service.

Business Card ,Credit Card, ID, or Cash HOLDER justjoansetc Marketplace 0 May 22nd 06 04:59 PM
Paducah--Credit Card Fraud (?) joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 21 May 5th 06 04:19 PM
Business Card ,Credit Card, ID, or Cash HOLDER [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 5th 06 03:34 AM
Credit Card Processing MoonFish Beads 4 January 13th 05 05:55 PM
Need credit card machine roxan Beads 1 August 5th 04 07:14 PM