If you had an LNS...

Old September 11th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
monique

Default If you had an LNS...

wrote:
if you
could design a stitchery shop or department, what would you insist it
offer, in the way of merchandise, classes, etc.?

I would dearly like a shop that actually acknowledges you when you come
in, doesn't treat browsing as an imposition, doesn't talke down to you,
and doesn't act as if waiting on you is a chore.

Monique in TX
Old September 11th 08, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Barbara[_4_]

wrote:
I was asked the other day what I would like to see in the stitching
section of a local, independent craft shop. I know what I'd like to
see, and I wondered what others would find most important. So, if you
could design a stitchery shop or department, what would you insist it
offer, in the way of merchandise, classes, etc.?

Thanks,
Louisa

I would just love a store in the area. We have nothing Our local walmart
, it carries nothing. It seems that they do not think fabrics and cross
stitch items were not very important. But they sell sewing machines....
The internet is my friend. Also when my daughters come to visit they
bring me what I need. I put in a large order sheet. One lives in Raleigh
,NC.Other lives in Fredericks burg, VA .Elizabeth City ,NC is very limited.
It seems living in a small area,you do not get big stores or even change
stores.(No Michaels,A.C Moore,Hancock,Jo-Anne fabrics. Have to travel to
VA for everything.
Things I would like in a local craft store. Class,(knitting,Quilting
,even basic sewing,etc)
large working area.Were people could help each other with a craft.
Shared craft book library.
I have craft books I no longer use and would love to share them with
others.(But our library sells books ,that you give them).
Thank you very much
Barbara
Old September 11th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

One other thought - heretical though it may be - I think any kind of
craft shop needs to have a "cheap" corner - basic aida, lower grade
basic canvas, inexpensive kits - so people who are intrigued but
unwilling to spend the money have something to pick up and try. And I
think anyone who is trying to start a store in these times will
*really* need to have such a section or they will price themselves
right out of business.

Linda
Old September 11th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Sep 11, 10:49*am, lewmew wrote:
One other thought - heretical though it may be - I think any kind of
craft shop needs to have a "cheap" corner - basic aida, lower grade
basic canvas, inexpensive kits - so people who are intrigued but
unwilling to spend the money have something to pick up and try.

Great thought, Linda (and also your handy computer idea)! Rather than
a "cheap" corner, how 'bout a "Try it before you buy it" corner?
It goes along with Barbara's idea, too, "I have craft books I no
longer use and would love to share them with others." And Anne's
doodle day.

Now, where is this shop going to be located? Somewhere in North
Dakota, I hope?
Joan
Old September 11th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Kathie Williams

wrote in message
I was asked the other day what I would like to see in the stitching
section of a local, independent craft shop. I know what I'd like to
see, and I wondered what others would find most important. So, if you
could design a stitchery shop or department, what would you insist it
offer, in the way of merchandise, classes, etc.?

Thanks,
Louisa

The ability to maintain a "wish list" for regulars - for family and friends
who need inspiration for special days. I would be sure to have framing
available - and I love the idea of having a referral list for finishers.

The hardest thing for a shopowner to keep sight of - is that there will
always be beginners and while we might depend upon the established, more
advanced to stay around, we cannot slight those wishing to get started. I
would also have a suggestion box and would be sure that I did not try to
accommodate too many different skills when getting started. Trying to cover
too many bases can lead to not having a complete selection for any.

Missing my just closed shop~ sigh

Kathie in VA

Old September 11th 08, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
val189

On Sep 11, 10:00 am, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:

On Sep 10, 10:15 pm, "Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net
wrote:
wrote in message

I was asked the other day what I would like to see in the stitching
section of a local, independent craft shop. I know what I'd like to
see, and I wondered what others would find most important. So, if you
could design a stitchery shop or department, what would you insist it
offer, in the way of merchandise, classes, etc.?

Thanks,
Louisa

I would love a shop that offers a lot of different items. It would be
okay
if they only showed samples to save space and took orders. I'm stuck
with
only Michaels within reasonable driving distance so I would welcome
almost
anything.

Lucille

Aren't you in Florida? I can rec a great shop in Ft. Lauderdale - I
did my business wiht them by phone, credit card, and they mailed me
just what I needed. I can ferret out the name and number if you want.
Val - who doesn't even hv a Michaels nearby.

Fort Lauderdale is pretty far from me. I'm in Port St. Lucie on the
Treasure Coast.

Up until recently we had a lovely shop in Stuart, approximately a 1/2 hour
car ride and I got spoiled.

Lucille

Well, would you still like me to find the info? The woman in the shop
was so patient and decent over the phone. I almost wish I needed her
again. I am sure I have their business card somewhere. I looked at
the DMC site, picked out my color, and she gave me eyeball advice over
the phone and shipped it pronto.

There was a wonderful place in the late seventies in Delray called the
Apple Shop - had hundreds on completed kits tacked onto the ceiling,
( I used to wonder how many manhours were represented there), vast
amounts of knitting yarn, you name it. Unfortunately, they folded
long ago.

Old September 12th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Sep 11, 9:42*am, monique wrote:

Monique!!!!!!!!! Where have you been girl? Nice to see you around
here again!

Joan