alcohol ink

Old October 25th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
ath

Default alcohol ink

I'd like to make alcohol ink as it's so expensive to buy. All the DIY "recipes"
I've seen require the use of 'rubbing alcohol'.... would that be surgical spirit
in the UK?

I've tried using surgical spirit but it doesn't seem to dissolve the dye
properly. Ideas anyone?

Anne H.

Old October 26th 07, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
hapidaze7

Hi, Anne. I'm not familiar with alcohol ink, but I wonder if this
link can help or spark some ideas in any way:

http://www.clt.astate.edu/elind/oldinkrecipes.htm

Happy creating! :-)

Daisy

On Oct 26, 7:03 am, "ath" wrote:
In article ,
says...

Old October 26th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
ath

Daisy ~ thanks, that's an interesting site but not quite what I'm looking for.
I'm trying to replicate something like those Adirondack Inks (by Tim Holtz)....
these inks can be used on glossy surfaces like metal etc. In the UK they're
about GBP10 for three tiny bottles.

I'd like to have a selection. As I've already got various dyes I thought I
could try to cut the costs by making my own! Not as straightforward as I'd
thought!

Anne H. in Epping UK

"hapidaze7" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, Anne. I'm not familiar with alcohol ink, but I wonder if this
link can help or spark some ideas in any way:

http://www.clt.astate.edu/elind/oldinkrecipes.htm

Happy creating! :-)

Daisy

On Oct 26, 7:03 am, "ath" wrote:
In article ,
says...

Old October 26th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
hapidaze7

Anne, guess that's quite expensive? If you find a solution, I'd love
to hear about it. Please post. :-)
Good luck.

Daisy

Old October 26th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
ath

"hapidaze7" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anne, guess that's quite expensive? If you find a solution, I'd love
to hear about it. Please post. :-)
Good luck.

Daisy

Yes they're pricey ..... that's the equivalent of about $20 for a pack of three
small bottles (0.5 fl oz each). And I want/need more colours than that!

I'll post again if I find the answer.

Anne H. in Epping UK