Participation in the group.

Old June 21st 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
John Bassett

Default Participation in the group.

It's odd to call other posters bullies. We're just little words on a
pc screen, just emails. Only one glassworker I know has ever posted
to this group. I'm just another old turkey, doing glass by myself and
knowing only a few others who do it. Once in a great while I may have
an idea. Once in a while I feel like responding to a post - like
now. I have sometimes got useful information from other posters.
Would the group be better if we actually knew each other? Probably.
Would the group be better if we had more to say? Certainly. But it's
a connection to others doing what I do. I'm glad you're all out
there. I'm glad the group exists.

I would like to see more links to other folks' sites and more images
of work.

John Bassett
Old June 21st 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

On Jun 21, 5:07*am, John Bassett wrote:
It's odd to call other posters bullies. We're just little words on a
pc screen, just emails. *Only one glassworker I know has ever posted
to this group. *I'm just another old turkey, doing glass by myself and
knowing only a few others who do it. Once in a great while I may have
an idea. *Once in a while I feel like responding to a post - like
now. *I have sometimes got useful information from other posters.
Would the group be better if we actually knew each other? *Probably.
Would the group be better if we had more to say? *Certainly. *But it's
a connection to others doing what I do. *I'm glad you're all out
there. *I'm glad the group exists.

I would like to see more links to other folks' sites and more images
of work.

John Bassett

Just about everyone who posts here is a glassworker of some sort be it
cold, warm or hot glass. I think you've been around this group long
enough to know that participation comes and goes. Sometimes the group
is extremely active and other times it's sound to sleep. Anyway, post
a website if you have one. Here's mine:
http://www.neoglassic.com
http://www.earth2glass.weebly.com

Andy
Old June 21st 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

www.glassdogs.com

Old June 21st 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Peer &Tina Nielsen

skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

you know you are right. But there is some truth in the string that i was
refering to. I have tried to be in the very capable hands of these bullies.
I have been making hot glass for 20 years and i have been following this
group for a few years. There is a lot of good questions here. Some are
interesting for me some are not. I do feel that i could contribute but why
bother when this group allready have some noble people who knows it all and
if i say the wrong thing they will all be on top of me
peer

Old June 21st 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
javahut

"Peer &Tina Nielsen" wrote in message
. ..

skrev i en meddelelse
[...]

Peer wrote in a moment of deja vu .... "if i say the wrong thing they will
all be on top of me"

You mean like now? I haven't seen anybody get all "on top of" anyone
without them being an antogonist.
Are you an antagonist? If you are, you are a very subtle one, but why not
post whatever it is you have to say? 20 years of glass blowing certainly
give you the knowledge to tell one of these know-it-alls to stuff it!! Or
don't you do that?

Look, if it bothers you that some people on here won't stand for another to
blow smoke about something, then ignore it, who cares?
But if you feel you have a question, or an answer, hell, write it, you have
as much right to do so as anyone else, and this is the internet ,after all,
the bullies won't come knocking on your door and dispute what you said to
your face.

Say what you have to say, but my own suggestion , "let sleeping dogs lie"
to hell with that bully thread, if it were important don't you think it
would still be running? Sure there is some animosity here, but there is in
real life too, I don't particularly like my neighbor putting her yapping dog
out my back window at 6:30 am everyday, but I haven't killed it......yet.

Old June 21st 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

skrev i en ...

a website if you have one. Here's mine:http://www.neoglassic.comhttp://www....ass.weebly.com

Andy

you know you are right. But there is some truth in the string that i was
refering to. I have tried to be in the very capable hands of these bullies.
I have been making hot glass for 20 years and i have been following this
group for a few years. There is a lot of good questions here. Some are
interesting for me some are not. I do feel that i could contribute but why
bother when this group allready have some noble people who knows it all and
if i say the wrong thing they will all be on top of me
peer

Here's what you do on newsgroups.

1) Read
2) Reply if you want to.
3) Post if you feel you have something to contribute or if you have a
question.
4) Take everything with a grain of salt.
5) Ignore when you want to.

It's the internet and it's everywhere. And no...no one knows it all.
If you want to go head to head with someone then by all means feel
free to do so...it's the internet and the rest of us most likely
really care. Bickering threads only last a couple of days at the most
and they become history.

Enjoy the group!!
Old June 25th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

"Javahut" wrote in
:

skrev i en meddelelse

[...]

My view is that everyone has differnet experience, learns different
techniques, develops their own ways to work around difficulaties, and so
on. Which means that everyone has a slightly different viewpoint.

OFten, things are misinterpreted as being critical, when they weren't
meant to be so - all we have is typed words, with no input from vocal
inflection, body language, or anything else, so misinterpretation is all
too easy.

So, before rushing to assume someone is being a "bully", first stop and
ask them for clarification, becasue it might just tbe a matter of
misunderstanding.

If the person continues to act like a jerk, plonk them - that';s what
killfiles are for, in newsreaders: shutting out obnoxious, rude, nasty
people who've nothing better to do than behave like curs. Definitely
*don't* feel like they have some sort of final say over who can or can't
post.

I'm new to this particualr group, but have been in groups since 1992, and
i've seen all sorts of jerks, including a couple of people who would put
someone else's name as their own so as to try to discredit the person, or
send threats, and so on. They'll stomp on someone exactly as much as one
allows onself to be stomped on...

Look, if it bothers you that some people on here won't stand for
another to blow smoke about something, then ignore it, who cares?
But if you feel you have a question, or an answer, hell, write it, you
have as much right to do so as anyone else, and this is the internet
,after all, the bullies won't come knocking on your door and dispute
what you said to your face.

Exactly! Well said

Say what you have to say, but my own suggestion , "let sleeping dogs
lie" to hell with that bully thread, if it were important don't you
think it would still be running? Sure there is some animosity here,
but there is in real life too, I don't particularly like my neighbor
putting her yapping dog out my back window at 6:30 am everyday, but I
haven't killed it......yet.

Yup - no matter where you go or what you do, or what field of endeavor
you're working in, there will *always* be someone who has some perverse
need to put other poeple down, so as to try to make themselves look grand
- IMO, all they succeed in doing in making themselves look foolish, but
unfortunately, a lot or people take the put-downs to heart. But the fact
is that, *if* someone is just plain nasty/overbearing, it's not "because
of" what someone else did or said, it's only because such people are just
nasty/overbearing no matter *what*, and will often "bite teh hand that
feeds them" so to speak, meaning, be nasty/overbearing even to peole who
are trying to be civil or even nice to them. I've certainly expereinced
*that* sort of numbskull over the past five decades - some people are
abusive (verbally or even physically) no matter what anyone else does,
good or bad, and if anything, the nicer you try to be, the worse some
people will treat you - and often, the worse one treats such people, the
moer they'll suck up to one.

Some people are jsut mean, is all. Mean poeple usually have a dark,
stormy, dismal internal landscape, devoid of ligh tor joy or lvoe, and
their meanness is merely a reflection of their own inner miasma, and is
not "caused by" what someone else does or says.

Best thing is to ignore them or, better yet, plonk them.

Old June 25th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

" wrote in news:ee1bbef6-c679-
:

[...]

I liked the unusual "All Paths Lead to Home" lite. On edoesn't typically
think of a night-time scene for a window, but it's an interesting idea,
especially givent hat it is part of the outdoor setting. I also liked how
you did the grapes - one almost always sees grapes doen in purples/blues,
but the theme of white grapes has a nice "fresh" feel to it, and also lets
more light into the space.

- Kris ( No website - yet! )
Old June 25th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

" Moonraker" wrote in news:bWb7k.11302$Xe.4903
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

"John Bassett" wrote in message news:3deb927e-
I would like to see more links to other folks' sites and more images
of work.

John Bassett

www.glassdogs.com

Now that's different and interesting - I'd never have thought of that, but
it's cool fro folks who are really involved with dogs.

I bet that the Greyhous Rescue groups would be interested in your work,
too. My cousin used to be very involved with greyhound rescue in South
Carolina. I don't know whether they give awards of any sort, but it might
be an idea to contact some of them, send them a brochure and business card,
or something similar.

The show trophies are also a very nice change from the usual things.

I'm not a dog person, but I used to raise an dshow American Singer
canaries, and I bet that work like yours (adapted to us "bird-brains" of
course LOL!) would be a welcome change from most of the typical raffle
items and trophies/awards.

Old June 28th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Moonraker[_2_]

"Kris Krieger" wrote in message
m...
" Moonraker" wrote in news:bWb7k.11302$Xe.4903

I bet that the Greyhous Rescue groups would be interested in your work,
too.

Actually, you are right on target. One of my good friends is the national
chair of Grayhound rescue, and she has samples of the memorials. They will
be on her site soon.

New to your group Bricore Yarn 29 March 17th 07 03:29 AM
is this the right group? [email protected] Quilting 4 January 10th 07 10:20 PM
New to Group Saralan Pottery 1 December 26th 06 07:24 PM
Your pick group (and any other group I moderate), Pami, Dannielle-double aster.... Terbear Quilting 0 December 2nd 06 12:17 AM
New to group. Funkytowngirl S Yarn 6 November 29th 05 03:21 PM