Simple way to bind a quilt?

Old August 22nd 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jim Moore

Default Simple way to bind a quilt?

Hello all:

I have just finished my 1st quilt. (almost). The only thing left is the
binding.
I have read several books on "How to bind a quilt" and really don't
understand any of them.
I used a walking foot to quilt with and it seemed to work fine. How ever I
am really stuck on how to hem it.
It's a very small quilt 18" x 14" to be used for a doll crib. The pattern is
from a book "Fat Quarter Small Quilts" by Darlene Zimmerman. I picked it up
at Joann's. The biggest problem I have is finsishing the ends of the
binding.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Moore (a 74 year old Hippie)
From Scotia, NY

My religion is simple..
My religion is kindness..

The Dalai Lama.

Old August 22nd 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/basic...structions.htm
http://www.carriagehousequiltshop.co...ategory_id=250
http://quilting.about.com/od/binding...ed_binding.htm

These links all show the same basic method and have clear
instructions and diagrams. This is only one method of many
methods of binding, but a good basic finish to learn first.
It might look complicated but if you do a practise piece you
will quickly see how it works.

((Personally I prefer to make a 1/2" binding instead of a
1/4", but the last quilt I finished had 1 1/2" binding done
using the same method, just a wider binding strip.))

One pointer - make sure you wrap the binding over to the
back of the quilt tight enough to have the quilt edge "fill"
the binding all the way to the binding fold. This makes
your binding look firm and flat, and will help prevent
uneven wear on fold points.

If this continued to confuse you try a wrap binding. Cut
your backing fabric a set measurement wider than your
finished top all the way around (say - 1") and - with the
quilt top facing up - fold the raw edge of the backing over
to meet the edge of the quilt, then fold the backing over
onto the quilt top and slip stitch in place. You will need
to trim some excess fabric at the corners to get a neat
mitre. With this method you don't have any ends to finish
because you are not using a binding strip.

I don't know what books you have been checking, but I have
always found the Rodale ones to be well written and
illustrated - this one covers finishing
http://tinyurl.com/eu9ff

So tell us - will this be the first of many quilts? Are you
hooked? How did you come to quilting? (others here may
also want to know about your chocolate and coffee
preferences)

Cheryl & the Cats
_ o _ o 0 0
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
~ ~ U
Enness Boofhead Donut
Starting to wake from hibernation!

"Jim Moore" wrote in message
et...
: Hello all:
:
: I have just finished my 1st quilt. (almost). The only
thing left is the
: binding.
: I have read several books on "How to bind a quilt" and
really don't
: understand any of them.
: I used a walking foot to quilt with and it seemed to work
fine. How ever I
: am really stuck on how to hem it.
: It's a very small quilt 18" x 14" to be used for a doll
crib. The pattern is
: from a book "Fat Quarter Small Quilts" by Darlene
Zimmerman. I picked it up
: at Joann's. The biggest problem I have is finsishing the
ends of the
: binding.
:
: Thanks in advance for your help.
:
: Jim Moore (a 74 year old Hippie)
: From Scotia, NY
:
:
: My religion is simple..
: My religion is kindness..
:
: The Dalai Lama.
:
:

Old August 22nd 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Eddie

Hi Jim Can't help you much I'm afraid. I always refer to my QCO (Quilt
Control Offficer) Sue when I have a question. ;-))

Newbie Eddie

"Jim Moore" wrote in message
et...
Hello all:

I have just finished my 1st quilt. (almost). The only thing left is the
binding.
I have read several books on "How to bind a quilt" and really don't
understand any of them.
I used a walking foot to quilt with and it seemed to work fine. How ever I
am really stuck on how to hem it.
It's a very small quilt 18" x 14" to be used for a doll crib. The pattern
is from a book "Fat Quarter Small Quilts" by Darlene Zimmerman. I picked
it up at Joann's. The biggest problem I have is finsishing the ends of the
binding.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Moore (a 74 year old Hippie)
From Scotia, NY

Old August 22nd 06, 11:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Hullo Jim - and congratulations on finishing your first quilt.

Easiest binding I think is the side then top/bottom method. I expect
one or more of the sites Cheryl gave you showed this method.

Measure your quilt across the centres to get the truest measurements.

I would use a quarter inch binding for a small quilt such as yours.

Cut strips 1 1/4" wide.

Once you have squared and trimmed your quilt, it might be a good idea to
set your machine to zig-zag (if it does that), and sew a line of zig-zag
round the edge of the quilt, at slightly less than a quarter of an inch.
This will make it nice and firm and stable for you.

Make your first two strips' length equal to your top-bottom length and
cut them exactly. Put right sides together and pin the ends, then the
centre and you may need another in between them. You might have to do
some squeezing or stretching! Sew with a quarter inch seam. Fold the
remainder of the strip to the back, turn the raw edge under, and slip
stitch that piece to the back - trying to avoid letting your stitches
come through to the top (sorry, I always do this bit by hand). Do the
other side the same.

Now measure across your quilt, including the side binding (just in case
there's a tiny difference between the finished and unfinished
measurement).

To this length add half an inch and cut your strips to that length.

Turn under a quarter of an inch at both ends (doing this before you sew
makes things a lot easier). Then proceed just as the sides. When you
have finished, you just have to slip stitch the two folded-in ends
together, front to back.

Hope that's a help!
..

In message , Jim Moore
writes
Hello all:

I have just finished my 1st quilt. (almost). The only thing left is the
binding.
I have read several books on "How to bind a quilt" and really don't
understand any of them.
I used a walking foot to quilt with and it seemed to work fine. How ever I
am really stuck on how to hem it.
It's a very small quilt 18" x 14" to be used for a doll crib. The pattern is
from a book "Fat Quarter Small Quilts" by Darlene Zimmerman. I picked it up
at Joann's. The biggest problem I have is finsishing the ends of the
binding.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim Moore (a 74 year old Hippie)
From Scotia, NY

My religion is simple..
My religion is kindness..

The Dalai Lama.

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 22nd 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

You might enjoy a copy of Fons and Porters 'Quilters Complete Guide'. This
book explains binding (and lots of other things) with pictures and
understandable instructions for beginners. I just checked and there's a
copy over at Abebooks.com for $7 plus $4 shipping. Buying used books suits
my tightwad little heart just fine, leaves me more money to pay for the
fabrics that insist on following me home. Polly

Old August 22nd 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 18:00:01 +1000, "Cats"
wrote:

http://www.quiltuniversity.com/basic...structions.htm
http://www.carriagehousequiltshop.co...ategory_id=250
http://quilting.about.com/od/binding...ed_binding.htm

I wish I'd had these links before I put the binding on the
crib quilt. I could have saved myself a lot of
aggravation! The second link is especially helpful. Thanks
for posting these.

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 23rd 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

goodness me, girl.
dont you know by now everything you ever wanted to know about sex and were
afraid to, oops, i mean s.e.x., oops i mean quilting and were afraid to ask
is known by someone here or they can point you in the right direction. all
you gotta do is ask and all will be revealed.

jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

Old August 23rd 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:12:12 +1200, "nzlstar*"
wrote:

goodness me, girl.
dont you know by now everything you ever wanted to know about sex and were
afraid to, oops, i mean s.e.x., oops i mean quilting and were afraid to ask
is known by someone here or they can point you in the right direction. all
you gotta do is ask and all will be revealed.

LOL Jeanne! You'd think, wouldn't you? I mean, I should
know by now what a great resource this group is. Must be my
stubborn, er, I mean, independent nature. :-)

Old August 23rd 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

um, gee, i thot one of the best things bout quilters was their sharing
nature.
independence when quilting is for when you make those all important
executive design decisions (to cover up any oops and no time to unpick,
ewwwwww, lol).
stubborn? you? never...i never heard such a silly thing in my life.
)
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Nancy in NS" wrote...

Old August 23rd 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

when/where do we all get to see pix of your first one?
as everyone else sorted out the links to all the binding info you need...
what is your next quilt going to be?
cheers,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Jim Moore" wrote...
Hello all:

I have just finished my 1st quilt. (almost). The only thing left is the
binding.
I have read several books on "How to bind a quilt" and really don't
understand any of them.
I used a walking foot to quilt with and it seemed to work fine. How ever I
am really stuck on how to hem it.

It's a very small quilt 18" x 14" to be used for a doll crib. The pattern
is from a book "Fat Quarter Small Quilts" by Darlene Zimmerman. I picked
it up at Joann's. The biggest problem I have is finsishing the ends of the
binding.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jim Moore (a 74 year old Hippie)
From Scotia, NY