The Rules

Old June 5th 05, 02:10 PM
Bell Jar

Default The Rules

ok, I don't know .. so please don't shoot me for asking.
I found a pattern, I would like to make this pattern w/ a few changes (not
just color, but design as well)
I would like to sell the finished product.
Can I with out violating any copy right laws?
I won't be giving the pattern out ... just selling a couple at a local art
show and I will be making changes, adding beads, using another type of yarn,
adding a border so that the edge isn't the same.

Old June 5th 05, 04:20 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:10:30 GMT, Bell Jar spun a fine yarn

ok, I don't know .. so please don't shoot me for asking.
I found a pattern, I would like to make this pattern w/ a few changes (not
just color, but design as well)
I would like to sell the finished product.
Can I with out violating any copy right laws?
I won't be giving the pattern out ... just selling a couple at a local art
show and I will be making changes, adding beads, using another type of yarn,
adding a border so that the edge isn't the same.

First, what does the designer's disclaimer say?
Second, if you change it MORE than 10 percent, it's pretty safe to say it's
'yours'...
HTH,
Noreen

http://noreensknitche.com/patterns
http://noreensknitche.weblogs.us/

++
either strip *tease* OR change n e t to c o m to email or reply to me.
Old June 5th 05, 04:26 PM
Bell Jar

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 13:10:30 GMT, Bell Jar spun a fine yarn

ok, I don't know .. so please don't shoot me for asking.
I found a pattern, I would like to make this pattern w/ a few changes
(not
just color, but design as well)
I would like to sell the finished product.
Can I with out violating any copy right laws?
I won't be giving the pattern out ... just selling a couple at a local
art
show and I will be making changes, adding beads, using another type of
yarn,
adding a border so that the edge isn't the same.

First, what does the designer's disclaimer say?
Second, if you change it MORE than 10 percent, it's pretty safe to say
it's
'yours'...
HTH,
Noreen

ok
I'm sure it's more than 10% ... mostly I just want to use the shape and
stitch. Even w/ that the shape insn't all that rare.

Old June 5th 05, 05:14 PM
Katherine

Bell Jar wrote:
ok, I don't know .. so please don't shoot me for asking.
I found a pattern, I would like to make this pattern w/ a few changes
(not just color, but design as well)
I would like to sell the finished product.
Can I with out violating any copy right laws?
I won't be giving the pattern out ... just selling a couple at a
local art show and I will be making changes, adding beads, using
another type of yarn, adding a border so that the edge isn't the same.

From what I understand, and from going to various craft fairs, you can knit
a pattern, and sell the finished product, as long as you give credit to the
designer/source.

HTH
Katherine

Old June 5th 05, 06:16 PM
Penny Gaines

Bell Jar wrote:

ok, I don't know .. so please don't shoot me for asking.
I found a pattern, I would like to make this pattern w/ a few changes (not
just color, but design as well)
I would like to sell the finished product.
Can I with out violating any copy right laws?
I won't be giving the pattern out ... just selling a couple at a local art
show and I will be making changes, adding beads, using another type of
yarn, adding a border so that the edge isn't the same.

Is the stitch a distinctive pattern? You might need to change that
as well.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old June 5th 05, 06:24 PM
Bell Jar

"Penny Gaines" wrote in message
Bell Jar wrote:

ok, I don't know .. so please don't shoot me for asking.
I found a pattern, I would like to make this pattern w/ a few changes
(not
just color, but design as well)
I would like to sell the finished product.
Can I with out violating any copy right laws?
I won't be giving the pattern out ... just selling a couple at a local
art
show and I will be making changes, adding beads, using another type of
yarn, adding a border so that the edge isn't the same.

Is the stitch a distinctive pattern? You might need to change that
as well.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

nope .. anyone that can crochet can do this one
hi Penny, I didn't know you posted here.
~Kat from MKF-L

Old June 6th 05, 11:15 PM
Penny Gaines

Bell Jar wrote:

[snip]
Is the stitch a distinctive pattern? You might need to change that
as well.

nope .. anyone that can crochet can do this one
hi Penny, I didn't know you posted here.
~Kat from MKF-L

I'm a relative newbie here - about six months, maybe a bit longer.
I'm a knitter, but I'm trying to learn crotchet. I'm not very far
along yet: I find knitting so much faster - I've been knitting since
I was 7yo - so I tend to knit in preference.

Of course, I ought to do with crotchet what I did with knitting as
a teenager: make a blanket out of squares.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

I broke the rules Millie Doll Houses 23 February 19th 04 02:30 AM
House Rules Dukkum Needlework 0 January 20th 04 04:55 PM