New pics

Old February 3rd 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default New pics

Hi all!

I posted some new pics to my album in rctnp. I stitched them a while
back but finally just got them framed.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old February 4th 17, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

I posted some new pics to my album in rctnp. I stitched them a while
back but finally just got them framed.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Sorry Joan, I don't know how to find your new pics...do you have a different link I should use? I did check out the link you supplied but it has pics back to 2014 and not the new pieces. I love seeing what other people are stitching so let me know where I can see your stuff!

By the way, the wedding cross stitch was really beautiful (mom looking at bride in mirror and seeing her young daughter). Awesome.
Old February 4th 17, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Friday, February 3, 2017 at 2:25:14 PM UTC-6, Joan Erickson wrote:
Hi all!

I posted some new pics to my album in rctnp. I stitched them a while
back but finally just got them framed.

--
Joan

Joan, I loved your award-winning violets!! I used to be huge into violets...had 50+ different varieties and my own grow lights at one point. In fact that's the reason my online name is "violet."

Also that hardanger is beyond gorgeous. Hardanger seems to be the one thing I can't do. No matter how careful I am I always end up snipping the wrong thread and ruining the entire piece.

I'm also impressed how you entered your pieces in for judging at fairs. I've always been afraid to do that because the back of my pieces are never quite perfect enough (IMHO). At least in my county fair, the judging standards seem ridiculously high.
Old February 7th 17, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/4/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:

I added one to my pics this morning to show last years collection of
socks and hats for Xmas lol

Wow, that's quite the collection, Sheena! The devil isn't going to be
able to get to you, not with *those* busy hands! Oh wait...he already
has! r,d,h! Now that they're all supplied with socks & hats, what's
for Christmas this year?

Seriously, I had been wishing you were a bit closer these last couple of
weeks. Mom started a Christmas stocking for her newest
great-great-grandson and has had a devil of a time with it. She redid
the name 3 times, then part of the main design 3 times and then she got
to the heel. Now, she has knit probably 100 stockings, so it's not that
she's a stranger to heel directions, but this stocking has some really
strange directions. I couldn't figure it out so I brought it to work to
ask a couple of knitters there. One said to rip it out and use
different directions, so that's what she did. Luckily it had the same
number of stitches as the original pattern. Then she got off track
again (keep in mind that she's nearly 96!), so I took it again and asked
a different knitter. She explained to me how to pick up stitches along
the sides (I'd never done that before). Well, I worked with it a bit
and, after a bit of fudging, I think I've finally got it back on track
for her. She'll be very happy when she's done with this one!!!

Old February 7th 17, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/4/2017 4:42 PM, wrote:

Joan, I loved your award-winning violets!! I used to be huge
into violets...had 50+ different varieties

I'm jealous! I have about 10 of them here at work. I don't know what's
going on, but lately every time I've rooted a leaf and then planted it,
it dies.

Also that hardanger is beyond gorgeous. snip I always end up
snipping the wrong thread and ruining the entire piece.

Thank you! I have done that (yet!), but then I haven't done many
hardanger pieces. I did that one again (in lavender) and made it into a
ring pillow for my DD's wedding, then had it framed afterwards for her.
It's the one next to the mother/daughter picture.

I'm also impressed how you entered your pieces in for judging at fairs.
I've always been afraid to do that because the back of my pieces are
never quite perfect enough (IMHO). At least in my county fair, the
judging standards seem ridiculously high.

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but there are really very few that enter in
our county fair. My only real competition is a coworker.

If our standards were high, there'd be even fewer pieces entered. LOL!
If it's framed, how do they see the back? And why are they judging the
back, anyway? It's not a juried contest, is it?

I'd say, go for it!!! You'll never know until you try.

And thanks for the accolades! They're *always* welcome!

Old February 7th 17, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 2/4/2017 10:52 AM, wrote:

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Sorry Joan, I don't know how to find your new pics...

I see you found them. Yeah, my Shutterfly account hasn't been used for
a while. I got that one when Webshots went kerplunk and was looking for
another platform that lets you have *lots* of pics. Shutterfly wasn't it.

By the way, the wedding cross stitch was really beautiful (mom looking
at bride in mirror and seeing her young daughter). Awesome.

Thanks! I fell in love with and bought that pattern about 5 or 10 years
before DD ever thought about getting married!

Old February 7th 17, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Tue, 7 Feb 2017 14:52:11 -0600, Joan Erickson
wrote:

On 2/4/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:

[...]

Good for her knitting at 96! I knit mostly because tv is not so
enticing, I need something else to do while I watch! I have already
started on this years socks for Xmas, they are in demand and expected.
My great-granddaughter asked me if I had a 'spare' pair for a friend
lol

I am due to have that thumb joint repair again on my right hand this
time again next month. However it is very successful though six
weeks in a cast is a BIG bore
Old February 14th 17, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 3:08:30 PM UTC-6, Joan Erickson wrote:

Shhhh! Don't tell anyone, but there are really very few that enter in
our county fair. My only real competition is a coworker.

If our standards were high, there'd be even fewer pieces entered. LOL!
If it's framed, how do they see the back? And why are they judging the
back, anyway? It's not a juried contest, is it?

I'd say, go for it!!! You'll never know until you try.

And thanks for the accolades! They're *always* welcome!

--
Joan

I don't even know how the contest is judged. I just remember looking at the requirements a few years back and they said the back had to be view-able....and it basically had to look as good as the front. As someone with disabled hands, I try to make the backs look decent but this is NOT something I worry about a whole lot.

However, I went to the fair last year and there were ZERO needlework entries, so I wonder if perhaps their high standards made it not worth it to contestants. I might check it out again and reconsider, though truthfully, winning the "grand prize" ribbon if I'm the only contestant seems rather weird.

I saw both the pink and the purple hardanger you did and am just taken with them. I think that heart has to be one of the most pleasing stitching designs I've ever seen. Your stitches were flawless...my attempts are hardanger looked nothing like what you did. Those should be family heirlooms for sure...you've done some really beautiful work with those. I hope your daughter cherishes your stitching!

Old February 18th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
D J

wrote:

On 2/4/2017 11:36 AM, wrote:

[...]

Six weeks in a cast would definitely drive me bonkers!!!

Some things you can do with one hand:
1. Post in the group.
2. Set up a cross stitch stand before the surgery.
3. Look through your patterns for your next project.
4. Shop for everything you will need for your new project.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Dawn

May BOM pics Carole Doyle Quilting 7 May 6th 06 07:11 PM
New Pics hesira Yarn 19 April 2nd 06 05:29 AM
More Pics Louise Quilting 15 January 18th 04 06:13 PM
pics up CNYstitcher Quilting 4 December 26th 03 10:24 PM
new pics up Medium Gnome Quilting 0 August 21st 03 11:30 PM