Cleaning Petit Point

Old January 10th 11, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Maureen Grace-Miller

Default Cleaning Petit Point

I'm working on a partially finished petit point piece that's travelled
with me through a couple of moves and 20 years of being pulled out and
put away again. It's DMC thread on 32 ct. silk mesh and in desperate
need of a cleaning. Does anybody know how to clean this? Does it have
to be dry-cleaned? Thanks in advance.

Maureen
Old January 11th 11, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monique in TX[_2_]

Maureen Grace-Miller wrote:
I'm working on a partially finished petit point piece that's travelled
with me through a couple of moves and 20 years of being pulled out and
put away again. It's DMC thread on 32 ct. silk mesh and in desperate
need of a cleaning. Does anybody know how to clean this? Does it have to
be dry-cleaned? Thanks in advance.

Maureen

A little Orvus (a mild soap for washing animals; available in huge jars
at farm stores and in tiny, expensive jars at needlework shops) in
lukewarm water ought to do the trick. If any of the colors run, rinse
in cool water until running stops. Roll in towel to dry. Block if the
mesh seems to want to stretch out of shape.

Monique in TX
Old January 11th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/11/11 11:55 AM, in article , "Monique in TX"
wrote:

Maureen Grace-Miller wrote:
I'm working on a partially finished petit point piece that's travelled
with me through a couple of moves and 20 years of being pulled out and
put away again. It's DMC thread on 32 ct. silk mesh and in desperate
need of a cleaning. Does anybody know how to clean this? Does it have to
be dry-cleaned? Thanks in advance.

Maureen

A little Orvus (a mild soap for washing animals; available in huge jars
at farm stores and in tiny, expensive jars at needlework shops) in
lukewarm water ought to do the trick. If any of the colors run, rinse
in cool water until running stops. Roll in towel to dry. Block if the
mesh seems to want to stretch out of shape.

Monique in TX

Going further - definitely DO NOT DRY Clean...frequently the DMC threads
will spot as a result of the drycleaning process. Seen some really creative
matting to cover these things up when I was working in the LNS/Framers.
Orvus, or even plain, simple dish soap with no additives - like old
fashioned Ivory will work. Just swish it around, can usually soak about
20-30 min, swish, rinse clean in clear cool water, and do as Monique has
said -rolling in the towel. You can hang it on a clip hanger (like for
skirts) when just damp, and then iron from the back thru a towel, face down
on a towel to finish. The mesh should be okay if you haven't pulled
it/twisted it during the cleaning.

Ellice in NoVA

Old January 12th 11, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Maureen Grace-Miller

wrote:

Maureen Grace-Miller wrote:

[...]

Wow, thanks you guys! I just went to our local tack shop and bought a
gallon. Can't wait to start washing withit.

Maureen