Jewelers and the Patriot Act

Old October 19th 04, 05:25 AM
VManes

Default Jewelers and the Patriot Act

Fahcryinoutloud!!!!!! When will the madness stop???

Actually, it's real easy to comply. Put a coffee can, small basket,
whatever, by the door to your laundry room. Always empty your pockets
before entering the room to do the wash.

I'm still trying to figure out what goes in the "Patriot Act Log Book" I see
on the back counter at the Wal-Mart Customer Service desk.

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

"vj" wrote in message
okay - i'm not there yet.
i don't know if anyone here IS.
but . . .

Under Title III, Section 352 of the Patriot Act, any business buying
and selling $50,000 or more in precious gemstones, metals and/or
jewelry annually will be required to have an anti-money laundering
program in place!!!!!

there are a lot of 'catches'.

this month's Lapidary Journal has a several page article on it.

"it's not optional. it's not voluntary".

Note: a sidebar to the article says "Before you start ripping out
your hair trying to figure out how on earth to design an anti-money
laundering program, much less find the time to write it out, check out
www.jvclegal.org. They are putting together a compliance kit that will
contain templates, forms and guidance to doing the task."

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old October 19th 04, 06:07 AM
starlia

WTH!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. That really ****es me off more than my daily
spending limit on my ATM card when I know how much money has been in my bank
account. Not recently mind you but in the past when I had a very good
paying job and wasn't a poor staving artist.

Geez. One of DH's weapons cost at least that much money. Do I have to fill
out more paperwork now when he does those types of purchases?
Forcryingoutloud was a good remark.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "VManes"
:

]I'm still trying to figure out what goes in the "Patriot Act Log Book" I
see
]on the back counter at the Wal-Mart Customer Service desk.

all personal information for anyone purchasing over $3000 worth of
merchandise. i already asked.

Old October 19th 04, 06:48 AM
VManes

I'm having a hard time imagining spending $3000 in Wal-Mart, on anything!
Val
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.sdsmt.edu
The best little engineering school you
may not have heard of, but should have!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 1:02:29 -0400, vj wrote
(in message ):

I'm still trying to figure out what goes in the "Patriot Act Log Book" I
see
on the back counter at the Wal-Mart Customer Service desk.

all personal information for anyone purchasing over $3000 worth of
merchandise. i already asked.

Oh. My. God.

I'm trying to imagine the kind of person who would wear $3,000 worth
of jewelry from Wal-Mart. I suspect that they are more likely than
most people to appear on the Jerry Springer Show.

It's not the "$3,000 on Jewelry" part that has me slack jawed, it's
the "$3,000 on WAL-MART Jewelry" that is almost beyond belief.

Wow.

Kathy N-V

Old October 19th 04, 06:52 AM
starlia

Well so do I but dangitalltoheckandback. Why $3,000? Heck I dropped that
on a weekend in San Antonio once for the hotel bill. And then I had a great
week off the Georgia Islands where I rented a plane and pilot for hours at a
time. With those kinds of limitations my name will be all over the place if
I ever get money again.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

Old October 19th 04, 07:14 AM
VManes

I understand, $3000 total. I still can't see spending that much in a whack
at Wally World. Maybe if I only got into town once every 6 months....

Now 3K at Sam's Club I could do - a 42" plasma TV, higher end PC, a couple
leather couches. Oh, and a load of the Pumpkin Cheesecakes they just got
back in for the holidays.

Val

***************************

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "VManes"
:

]I'm having a hard time imagining spending $3000 in Wal-Mart, on anything!

agreed.
but it's the total of the bill - not $3000 on one item. even car
repairs or tires or ammunition or all of the above.
and it evidently does happen.

Old October 19th 04, 10:31 AM
Beadbimbo

LOL. I'm guessing you could get a LOT of jewelry at Walmart for $3000.
I'll have to look, next time. I don't think I've ever looked at their
jewelry, although I have gotten a watch battery there.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old October 19th 04, 11:27 AM
Su/Cutworks

Jerri wrote:

LOL. I'm guessing you could get a LOT of jewelry at Walmart for $3000.
I'll have to look, next time. I don't think I've ever looked at their
jewelry, although I have gotten a watch battery there.

All the implications of the Patriot Act aside, I am just having such a hard
time picturing someone wearing £3000 of Wally jewels.

Would their knuckles be dragging the ground before or after they dress up?

-Su

Old October 19th 04, 12:36 PM
Su/Cutworks

VJ wrote:

**SIGH**
they aren't. that's a $3000 total for ANYTHING/EVERYTHING bought in
one trip to Wal-Mart. Many other stores have the same rules.

I know, I understand that, but I'm trying to imagine someone being carefully
written down in the Patriot Act Log after they've been in buying for their
sweetie!

It's just an image that won't leave my mind's eye no matter how hard I poke
it!

-Su

Old October 19th 04, 05:10 PM
Kaytee

In article , "Beadbimbo"
writes:

you could get a LOT of jewelry at Walmart for $3000.
I'll have to look, next time. I don't think I've ever looked at their
jewelry, although I have gotten a watch battery there.

It looks like you'd expect for "WalMart jewelry"....
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com

Old October 19th 04, 05:33 PM
bluemaxx

ooohh, Val... I have a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cheescake that men used
to beg me to make for them. Want the receipe?

--
Linda
Visit my eBay Auctions - http://snipurl.com/twolegz

"VManes" wrote in message
snippetydoodah

Oh, and a load of the Pumpkin Cheesecakes they just got
: back in for the holidays.
:
: Val
:
: ***************************
:
: "vj" wrote in message
: ...
: vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "VManes"
: :
:
: ]I'm having a hard time imagining spending $3000 in Wal-Mart, on
anything!
:
: agreed.
: but it's the total of the bill - not $3000 on one item. even car
: repairs or tires or ammunition or all of the above.
: and it evidently does happen.
:
:
: --
: @vicki [SnuggleWench]
: (Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
: newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/new.html
: I pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the United States of
America,
: and to the republic which it established, one nation from many
peoples,
: promising liberty and justice for all.
: Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.
:
:

---