Any good knights with knowledge of knots?

Old June 9th 05, 04:23 AM
Rodney

Default Any good knights with knowledge of knots?

Here are more knots on stamps.
In Philately these are referred to as "labels"
because they serve no genuine postal use.

Is it the same with these knots?
are they nonsense, or knots?

PS I can recognise the sheep shank

http://cjoint.com/data/gjfpivztCP.htm

Old June 9th 05, 09:49 PM
ben

"Rodney" wrote in message ...

these are referred to as "labels"

IMHO
they serve no genuine use as knots
they are "labels", or nonsense?

PS I can recognise the reef knot
Old June 10th 05, 02:29 AM
Rodney

Thanks Ben,
are you asking a supplementary question here?

perhaps to expand, these "labels" (not stamps) are produced
without any quality control, and hence often have amazing
blunders, eg Batsman in English cricket, facing up with the back
of his bat facing the bowler.

I was wondering if these knots were genuine or just an artist's fantasy.

Old June 10th 05, 06:59 PM
ben

"Rodney" wrote in message ...

I was wondering if these knots were genuine or just an artist's fantasy.

hi Rodney,

thanks for explaining

the first loop suggests to be "two half hitches",
but it is only one half hitch,
and that is not usefull in (allmost) any situation
(round turn and) two half hitches look like this:
http://home.datacomm.ch/h-w/knoten/roringstek.gif
so: "blunder"

the 1ri stamp might actually be a bend, but I have no clue which one
makes "no sense"

the 30dh stamp shows a rope in a figure of eight like shape
but the figure eight knot is very different:
http://www.iland.net/%7Ejbritton/figure8.htm
an "artist's fantasy"

only the last stamp shows a rope structure like the first and third one he
http://www.realknots.com/knots/reefk.htm#Xplatteknoop
a "label"

knotting wrong,

Ben
Old June 10th 05, 11:24 PM
Rodney

G'day Ben,
thanks, I'll archive your post.
I'll also post the 14 Sharjah knot stamps soon.
Best Regards,
Rodney

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old June 11th 05, 01:12 PM
Brian G.

Rodney wrote:
Here are more knots on stamps.

I found pictures of the Knot Stamps from Sweden he
http://www.wnsstamps.ch/en/search?wn...umberAscending
..

Interestingly, the Bowline is the "Left-Hand Bowline". Ref: ABOK #1034
1/2

I also found a larger picture of the Zambian stamp mentioned in another
thread: http://www.wnsstamps.ch/stamps/ZM078.02/en.html .

It appears to me that a scout is shown "laying up" a rope.

Cheers - Brian.

Old June 11th 05, 10:57 PM
Rodney

Thanks BG,
I have somewhere in the vicinity of 60,000 stamps
never laid eyes on either of those 4
well done.
Best Regards
Rodney