Eyes and noses on baby quilt

Old September 28th 12, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Default Eyes and noses on baby quilt

I'm thinking of making a baby quilt sort of like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

but that entire book is using buttons for nose and mouth, even for the
baby quilt. No way! So help me out: a safe, durable way to make eyes and
noses on a baby quilt that will likely be washed a lot.

Thanks!
Hanne in DK
Old September 28th 12, 05:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Hanne in DK wrote:
I'm thinking of making a baby quilt sort of like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

but that entire book is using buttons for nose and mouth, even for the
baby quilt. No way! So help me out: a safe, durable way to make eyes and
noses on a baby quilt that will likely be washed a lot.

Thanks!
Hanne in DK

Tiny yo-yos or needleturned appliqued dots?

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old September 28th 12, 06:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Eyes:
1:Use your zigzag stitch if you have one for them
2: use embroidery thread and put a dot of Fray Check on the knot before you
'pop it in'. It's suppose to keep it from unknotting.
3: Use different line stitches for closed/opened eyes and add 'lashes' You
could have a lot of fun with this one

nose/mouth
1: same as 1 above
2: same as 2 above
3: applique circles
4: sew on yo-yos

You could add a 'mouth' under the nose area and do quite a few different
expressions. Depends on how much time and creativity you want to spend on
it.

HTH
Butterfly

Old September 28th 12, 07:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Have you ever used the kind of 'button forms' that you cover with your
own fabric to match a garment you are making? - or you could use an
actual button roughly the size you want.

You could adapt that procedure for what you need he cut a circle of
fabric a bit larger than the 'button'. Run a gathering thread around
the edge; place it over the 'button' and pull the gathering tight;
adjust the top side if it looks uneven; press the combination of button
and fabric.
Carefully remove the button - the pressing should mean that you still
have the neat shape. Put a tiny bit of batting where the 'button' was
and pull the gathering thread tight again - holding the centre so that
the edge doesn't disappear.
This is all pretty much like yo-yos (as have been suggested), but you
are putting in a little bit of 'stuffing'.

I love Butterfly's idea of playing with expressions, if you have time!
..
In message , Hanne in DK
writes
I'm thinking of making a baby quilt sort of like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...-tMTjNZETYmyPJ
y0liipFm0?feat=directlink

but that entire book is using buttons for nose and mouth, even for the
baby quilt. No way! So help me out: a safe, durable way to make eyes
and noses on a baby quilt that will likely be washed a lot.

Thanks!
Hanne in DK

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old September 28th 12, 09:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 28-09-2012 07:07, Butterfly-Wings skrev:
Eyes:
1:Use your zigzag stitch if you have one for them

Do you mean zigzag "randomly" until a round-ish eye appear? Or just
outline?

2: use embroidery thread and put a dot of Fray Check on the knot before you
'pop it in'. It's suppose to keep it from unknotting.
3: Use different line stitches for closed/opened eyes and add 'lashes' You
could have a lot of fun with this one

I might go for this one - I guess a sampler of eyes would be appropriate.

nose/mouth
1: same as 1 above
2: same as 2 above
3: applique circles
4: sew on yo-yos

You could add a 'mouth' under the nose area and do quite a few different
expressions. Depends on how much time and creativity you want to spend on
it.

HTH
Butterfly

I have some time (yet), and am willing to spend a lot of creativity -
just want to make sure that everything will hold up.

Hanne in DK
Old September 28th 12, 10:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells[_3_]

What a lovely quilt - except for the buttons and babies!

I use freezer paper cut to the right size. Iron onto reverse of fabric
and cut about 1/4"+ bigger. Gather round the edges, pull up gently round
the template and then smooth with fingers and press. I usually leave the
paper in until I have almost sewn all the way round and then slip it out
with a pair of tweezers, or if I forget (!) make a tiny slit in the back
and pull it out that way.

You can invest in special little iron-proof circles, but I'm too miserly
to do that! You can reuse the freezer paper ones a couple of times. I
think some people use washers too, but of course these have to be
removed before sewing in position. I do like the firmer edge you get by
not removing the template until the end of stitching down.

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old September 28th 12, 10:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Thanks, I like this. I might combine with one or two winking or sleeping
bears :-)

I like the quilt, as it is fairly simple in expression, but not too
basic. I always imagined that for this family I'd go all out will a full
blown Noah's ark, but when I saw this one, I just loved it. It will
either be all blues, or a bunch of different bright coloured bears with
unifying background. I actually have enough blue batiks, and I might
even have the same kind of teddy bear fabric used for the border!

Hanne in DK

Old September 28th 12, 12:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Let's see if this gets you to my 'Peepers' quilt:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56043956KDBwTX

if that doesn't work to suit us, try going to where Jenx showed the WH I
just finished and look for it there. Honestly, I had such fun with those
eyes. The Peepers quilt has been Seriously loved and laundered and still
has all its eyes. Polly

Old September 28th 12, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Den 28-09-2012 13:15, Polly Esther skrev:
Let's see if this gets you to my 'Peepers' quilt:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56043956KDBwTX

if that doesn't work to suit us, try going to where Jenx showed the WH I
just finished and look for it there. Honestly, I had such fun with
those eyes. The Peepers quilt has been Seriously loved and laundered
and still has all its eyes. Polly

Awesome! Are they appliqué? Both the white and the black?

I'm thinking more and more that the quilt will be bright (as opposed to
all blue), that is much more my style for baby quilts, and I'm doing
other sewing for his room to the colour choices of the mother, so for
the quilt only I decide!

Hanne in DK
Old September 28th 12, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You are absolutely right, Hanne. Today's mother's notion of baby room decor
bores me to tears. The last one I saw was brown and olive drab. What are
they thinking? Meanwhile, back to the eyes, I ran a gathering thread to
turn under the edges Firmly, pressed with a coin inside to get a fairly neat
rim and sneaked the coin out. You can better see the stitch I used on the
close-up of Peeper's orange head. It is a good thing I did such baby-proof
stitching. That quilt has a busy life. Just as I had hoped. Polly

baby quilt Musicmaker Quilting 12 November 1st 06 02:41 AM
Square Baby Quilt (the quilt, not the baby) Joan8904 Quilting 5 September 17th 04 04:19 PM
another baby quilt Coleen Quilting 0 August 16th 04 03:37 AM
Baby quilt gundoc Needlework 4 April 26th 04 11:34 PM
the baby quilt Diana In Dallas Quilting 3 November 2nd 03 08:10 PM