Eyes and noses on baby quilt

Old September 28th 12, 02:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default Eyes and noses on baby quilt

Neither Outlook Explorer nor Firefox seem to work today, so I can't
see the pattern. But for teddy bears, I often cut little circles (the
size of small buttons) out of black cotton velveteen, then satin
stitch around. 2 stitches of white thread on each eye, angled in the
same direction, add a bit of sparkle. The rest of the face can be
embroidered. Or just buy some fabric paint designed for doll eyes.
(What's the name of that shop around the corner from Nörreport
Station? Sort of across the street from the veggie market? They used
to have it, back when I lived there.)
Roberta in D

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 06:49:29 +0200, Hanne in DK
wrote:

I'm thinking of making a baby quilt sort of like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

but that entire book is using buttons for nose and mouth, even for the
baby quilt. No way! So help me out: a safe, durable way to make eyes and
noses on a baby quilt that will likely be washed a lot.

Thanks!
Hanne in DK

Old September 28th 12, 02:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Good hint about the light reflecting.

Not sure what velveteen is? Velvet-like cotton?

The shop is either Stoff2000 (fabric stores) or Panduro (hobby store) :-)

Hanne in DK

Old September 28th 12, 02:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

It looks like a blanket stitch?

The other colours are just pastels. Brown is a cool colour, if mixed
with turquoise, and orange and bright green :-)

Hanne in DK

Den 28-09-2012 14:26, Polly Esther skrev:
You are absolutely right, Hanne. Today's mother's notion of baby room
decor bores me to tears. The last one I saw was brown and olive drab.
What are they thinking? Meanwhile, back to the eyes, I ran a gathering
thread to turn under the edges Firmly, pressed with a coin inside to get
a fairly neat rim and sneaked the coin out. You can better see the
stitch I used on the close-up of Peeper's orange head. It is a good
thing I did such baby-proof stitching. That quilt has a busy life. Just
as I had hoped. Polly

"Hanne in DK" wrote in message
Den 28-09-2012 13:15, Polly Esther skrev:
Let's see if this gets you to my 'Peepers' quilt:
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...56043956KDBwTX

if that doesn't work to suit us, try going to where Jenx showed the WH I
just finished and look for it there. Honestly, I had such fun with
those eyes. The Peepers quilt has been Seriously loved and laundered
and still has all its eyes. Polly

Awesome! Are they appliqué? Both the white and the black?

I'm thinking more and more that the quilt will be bright (as opposed
to all blue), that is much more my style for baby quilts, and I'm
doing other sewing for his room to the colour choices of the mother,
so for the quilt only I decide!

Hanne in DK

Old September 28th 12, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 06:49:29 +0200, Hanne in DK wrote:

I'm thinking of making a baby quilt sort of like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...NtO4-WUnTLse2-

tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

but that entire book is using buttons for nose and mouth, even for the
baby quilt. No way! So help me out: a safe, durable way to make eyes and
noses on a baby quilt that will likely be washed a lot.

Thanks!
Hanne in DK

That is naught but a dozen faces so machine or hand embroidery would work.
Appliqué would work.
Or you could combine the two and couch yarn circles down and then proceed
as for dorset buttons, thus giving the look of very old fashioned buttons
with the security of them not only being more securely fastened down, but
guaranteed to fall apart should the wee one manage to chew them off
(which would be unlikely IMO).

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 29th 12, 10:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Panduro! Although it wasn't always called that. But there was another
one, down on the corner past the Stoff2000 -my brain is a blank. If
you were a kindergarten or a club of some kind, they would issue you a
10% discount card. they had all kinds of hobby and craft supplies. I'd
be sad to hear it had disappeared.

I guess what I'm using for eyes is more like a brushed cotton twill.
Very sturdy fabric, doesn't ravel, but has a soft matte texture
instead of a genuine velveteen pile. I just do the satin stitch on the
machine. The fabric makes good bear noses too -for those, I cut a
rounded triangle shape and gather like a yoyo, stuff a little bit, and
sew on firmly by hand.
Roberta in D, with fond memories of DK

Old September 29th 12, 10:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

Panduro merged with another chain some years ago, the shop is still on
the corner. Don't know that they'll do discounts though :-(

I think I have some heavy black brushed cotton (from what I don't know,
but now I know why!)

Thank you all, I am much less concerned about the eye/nose issue now!
Still, what was the author thinking...

Hanne in dK

Old September 30th 12, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

Zigzag randomly -as many layers as you'd like -just don't go baby fingernail
catching width

After reading the rest of the responses: how about doing different color
eyes for those that will be open, asleep, half-awake, winking, etc

and for the pupil: looking straight ahead, left, right, one open - one
closed

Whatever you decide have FUN and pics would be appreciated.

Like the idea of different color bears.

HTH
Butterfly (off to close my Hazel eyes for the night)

baby quilt Musicmaker Quilting 12 November 1st 06 02:41 AM
Square Baby Quilt (the quilt, not the baby) Joan8904 Quilting 5 September 17th 04 04:19 PM
another baby quilt Coleen Quilting 0 August 16th 04 03:37 AM
Baby quilt gundoc Needlework 4 April 26th 04 11:34 PM
the baby quilt Diana In Dallas Quilting 3 November 2nd 03 08:10 PM