toddler poncho

Old November 11th 03, 02:50 AM
SuperEeyore

Default toddler poncho

So about a month or so ago I saw a really cute poncho at Baby Gap for a
toddler. It was diamond shaped, where it comes to a V in the front and
back. And it had stripes in that V shape, maybe two to three inches wide.

I think it was hooded too. And fringe.

Was I smart enough to save the picture of it while it was on their website?
No... =oP

How tough do you think it would be to come up with a pattern for it?

Laurel

Old November 11th 03, 07:45 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
SuperEeyore wrote:
So about a month or so ago I saw a really cute poncho at Baby Gap for a
toddler. It was diamond shaped, where it comes to a V in the front and
back. And it had stripes in that V shape, maybe two to three inches wide.

I think it was hooded too. And fringe.

Was I smart enough to save the picture of it while it was on their website?
No... =oP

How tough do you think it would be to come up with a pattern for it?

Not so tough.
Just off the top of my head: I'd try doing the back in that kind of
knitting where you decrease in the middle so it miters itself and makes
the diamond shape. I think I'd cast on enough stitches to start so I could
extend the ends over the shoulders to from the fronts, and just decrease
at each end at the same time as decreasing in the middle. That should
make the fronts taper up, and then I'd attach velcro or tie strings
or just sew it up, leaving enough of an opening to go over the toddler's
head. A hood could be made by just knitting straight up until it's long
enough to meet over the top of the head, and then folding in half and
binding off.

I'd try it first in something that was easy to frog.

=Tamar
Old November 11th 03, 08:23 AM
Kirsten Procter

In article ,
SuperEeyore wrote:
So about a month or so ago I saw a really cute poncho at Baby Gap for a
toddler. It was diamond shaped, where it comes to a V in the front and
back. And it had stripes in that V shape, maybe two to three inches wide.

I think it was hooded too. And fringe.

I had one like that when I was small! I loved it. I went to a carnival in
it, and it was fantastic, I'd never been to a carnival before (or since,
now I come to think about it)

How tough do you think it would be to come up with a pattern for it?

Not at all; how old is your child?

Lionbrand have one sized fr 12-24 months
http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kts-1108AD.html

and here's one sized for 2-6
http://knitting.about.com/library/blponcho.htm

but there are plenty of other patterns out there if you don't like
either of those

--
Kirsten Procter ghoti
Current projects; full-length dress with matching jacket, child's jumper

Old November 11th 03, 01:03 PM
B Vaughan

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 18:50:16 -0800, "SuperEeyore"
wrote:

So about a month or so ago I saw a really cute poncho at Baby Gap for a
toddler. It was diamond shaped, where it comes to a V in the front and
back. And it had stripes in that V shape, maybe two to three inches wide.

I think it was hooded too. And fringe.

Was I smart enough to save the picture of it while it was on their website?
No... =oP

How tough do you think it would be to come up with a pattern for it?

Someone made such a poncho for my little girls (who are now grown
women.) It was really just two rectangles. It was crocheted, but it
could be just as easily knit. In any case, you start from the long end
of one of the rectangles. Cast on (or make a chain) of the required
length, which would be the length from the child's waist at the left
side and then up and over the right shoulder close to the neckline and
then down to the spine halfway between the waist and the shoulder.
Work it straight with stripes as desired. When it gets to the right
size, which would be the length from the child's neckline along the
shoulder and down the arm almost to the elbow, cast off (if you're
knitting). Make another identical rectangle. Then sew the short end of
one rectangle (call it rectangle 1) to the long end of the other (call
it rectangle 2), like a letter "L". Then sew the opposite short end of
rectangle 2 to the free long end of rectangle 1. You might want to cut
out two rectangles of paper (maybe grocery bags) to try it for size on
the toddler.

Barbara

poncho zeldapelda Machine Knit 0 June 17th 04 01:36 PM
Can anyone email me a pattern poncho age 3 Louise Sewing 10 October 11th 03 06:21 AM
Toddler sweater Patricia Yarn 8 September 15th 03 03:38 PM
Surprise Toddler Sweater JW Yarn 4 September 12th 03 07:55 PM