machine quilting not "real" quilting?

Old June 6th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise[_2_]

Default machine quilting not "real" quilting?

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 03:08:49 GMT, Irrational Number
wrote:

How do I respond to someone who says that
machine piecing and machine quilting is
not "real" quilting? He said today that
his grandma even hand beats the cotton to
do whatever... I asked if he chops his own
wood or if he buys a cord and he admitted
that he bought it. Then I asked if his
grandma spun her own thread and he admitted
that she uses store-bought thread.

Blah blah blah. I need a concise and good
rebuttal! He was not into hearing about
the history of quilting.

I'd probably be tempted to respond to him as if I was assuming that he
was the hand sewer himself, and ask him questions about how he did
such and such.

Louise in eastern Ontario

Old June 6th 07, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Pati Cook wrote:
And it's been done as long as there have been sewing machines. BG
That is well over a hundred years. Long enough to have stood the test
of time, in my opinion anyway.

Pati, in Phx

Obviously 'Granny' is very, very old - 150?

--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
Old June 6th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Rita...did you program it too with some of your own created stitches?....
I remember making a fan block for a swap and used the Pfaff 7550 stitches...
and always wanted to make a quilt for myself . Of course I haven't !...But
the block came out beautifully...I think I used a rayon thread...and have
always
wondered how that thread would wear/wash.

Yes...when i was doing volunteer work at the local museum there were
quilts there that were machine quilted and those quilts were 100 yrs old.
I remember just straight lined stitching ...not sure if they got fancier .
Mary Ann

"Rita" wrote in message
Even in his grandma's day, women loved the sewing machine to piece!!! As a
professional quilter, I've won many a competition with machine quilting.
There was even one MAJOR contest where they stated no machine quilting. I
just received my new Pfaff (about 14 years ago) and it did so many fancy
stitches, I made a crazy quilt and just for the fun of it, entered it. To
my surprise, it won 3rd place. It's on my site under small art quilts and
called a "1993 Crazy"

--
Rita
http://ritasquilts.com
"Irrational Number" wrote in message
link.net...
How do I respond to someone who says that
machine piecing and machine quilting is
not "real" quilting? He said today that
his grandma even hand beats the cotton to
do whatever... I asked if he chops his own
wood or if he buys a cord and he admitted
that he bought it. Then I asked if his
grandma spun her own thread and he admitted
that she uses store-bought thread.

Blah blah blah. I need a concise and good
rebuttal! He was not into hearing about
the history of quilting.

-- Anita --

Old June 6th 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Irrational Number wrote:
How do I respond to someone who says that
machine piecing and machine quilting is
not "real" quilting? He said today that
his grandma even hand beats the cotton to
do whatever... I asked if he chops his own
wood or if he buys a cord and he admitted
that he bought it. Then I asked if his
grandma spun her own thread and he admitted
that she uses store-bought thread.

Blah blah blah. I need a concise and good
rebuttal! He was not into hearing about
the history of quilting.

-- Anita --

Is it ok to drive a car, or should we all be using buggies?

Is it ok to use an electric drill/screwdriver, or must it be done by
hand only?

Does he use email, or only snail mail?

:-)

Hanne in London
Old June 6th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
link.net...
How do I respond to someone who says that
machine piecing and machine quilting is
not "real" quilting? He said today that
his grandma even hand beats the cotton to
do whatever... I asked if he chops his own
wood or if he buys a cord and he admitted
that he bought it. Then I asked if his
grandma spun her own thread and he admitted
that she uses store-bought thread.

Blah blah blah. I need a concise and good
rebuttal! He was not into hearing about
the history of quilting.

-- Anita --

Why bother arguing with someone who has already made up their mind and is
just looking to provoke?

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old June 6th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Sunny wrote:

Is this Neanderthal really somebody you have to talk to?

Heh! Actually, he's an okay guy, a colleague
from a different part of the company. I do like
the analogy Steve gave, which is, in woodworking,
if you use today's circular saws, is it still "real"
woodworking? I'll tell my colleague that today!

Thanks for all your responses. DH was just as
huffed up as I was.

-- Anita --
Old June 6th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I have a sister that I have a standard line for.
'you can think that but you'd still be wrong'.
Can you tell how well we get along? Sometimes
I think it and sometimes I say it. She is pretty
off base. Sometimes fussing with someone
isn't worth the effort.
Taria

Old June 6th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I notice he doesn't quilt himself, and it's his grandma who's still doing
things the hard way. However, there is no rebuttal, because fools don't
listen to reason.
Roberta in D

link.net...

Old June 6th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Yeah, what Polly says!!

--
Donna in NE La.
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Oh good grief. I don't think it's worth responding to at all. What that
guy needs is a shock collar. You just give him a jolt or two and he
becomes sensible or at least nicer. Of course you can bake cornbread on a
wood fire. Of course you can clean clothes by boiling them in a big black
pot out back. You can stop bleeding by covering the wound with a wad of
spider web. So?
I am a great grandma and I'll take every advantage I can buy or learn.
Well. Except for digital cameras. OTOH, if his granny wants to beat
cotton, cheer her on. If it makes her happy, we wouldn't want to deprive
her of that.
There. I feel much better. Polly

Old June 6th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

"That's nice, dear."

and one of the old South'ren favorites:
"Bless your heart."

VBG
R/Sandy -- who also likes the wide-eyed "Sure 'nuff?"

On 6/5/07 10:08 PM, in article
. net, "Irrational Number"