Book review "Quilting Possibilities- Freehand Filler Patterns"

Old April 16th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Default Book review "Quilting Possibilities- Freehand Filler Patterns"

This book, by Sue Patten, has an amazing amount of information, ideas
and patterns for machine (or hand!) quilting. It's not a "pattern
book" per se, but more of an idea and inspiration book with LOTS of
pictures. I *LOVE* it! Highly recommended for anybody who wants to
get past being a quilt top maker into being a true quilter- like me,
for example. VBG

The almost cheapest copy I found (shipping costs made it the cheapest)
is at-

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4962579

You're welcome!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old April 16th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I agree. It is one of the best I have seen. It was interesting to see
the designs, as she is a long arm quilter; but her ideas are definitely
transferable and the book is aimed at 'the majority' who do not have
long arm machines.
..
In message . com,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old April 16th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I didn't get it at a discount, I bought it at the Chicago quilt show this
weekend. I agree, it's a really good book. I also bought some really neat
stencils to use with the quilt pouncer...the one that looks like an eraser.
I don't even know how to describe them. Ok, here's the website...they
describe them quite well!
http://www.fulllinestencil.com/upcloserope.htm Check it out! They would
be very easy to mark as you machine quilt. So you aren't really freehanding
it, but you don't have to mark your whole quilt at once. I think I'm really
going to like using them to get more machine quilting experience. Less
panic than trying to figure out a free hand pattern on the fly!
--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
ups.com...

Old April 16th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Gosh, that stencil looks good; and I am beginning to be 'driven' towards
a 'pounce' gadget. Does the powder brush off?
Any tips on what type of pounce 'thingy' would be best for a
'not-very-gadget-inclined' person?
..
In message _QPUh.59065$oV.43806@attbi_s21, KJ
writes

Old April 16th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Hey Kathyl, WOuld you report back on those stecils after you use them?
They look pretty cool. Let us know how it goes.
Taria

Old April 16th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Patti" wrote in message
Gosh, that stencil looks good; and I am beginning to be 'driven' towards a
'pounce' gadget. Does the powder brush off?
Any tips on what type of pounce 'thingy' would be best for a
'not-very-gadget-inclined' person?

Jumping in...

I've used the pouncers for years (I think I got my first one in 2000). I
rarely use "real" stencils -- I more often use them with Pam Clarke's
"Design with Lines" stencils (http://www.homestitches.com/stencils1.html).
Still, the idea is the same. The pounce pad I use is here
(http://www.homestitches.com/supplies.html). NAYY -- in fact, I didn't get
my pouncers from Pam. She just happens to sell the same brand I have, and I
don't remember where I bought mine.

(Warning -- this will be long. *grin*)

First off, supplies. I have three pouncers. One has mostly white chalk with
about 5% glow powder. (Glow powder will glow green under a black light --
handy for quilting on light fabrics). This is the powder I use 99.9% of the
time. Another pouncer is mostly white with a little blue chalk. I only use
this for white fabrics that glow under black light, making my glow powder
useless. I'm chicken that one day the blue won't come out of a customer's
quilt. (Hasn't happened yet, but there's always a first time. *grin*) The
last one has miracle chalk in it. (http://www.miraclechalk.com/how_to.htm ,
also NAYY) This one stays until you iron it off. I love it, but it adds an
extra step that I rarely need on customer quilts, and extra steps cost my
customers money. I keep this one around for desperate times. If I were
just quilting for myself, I'd either stick with just the miracle chalk or
just the white chalk, and skip the blue and glow powders until I needed
them.

The miracle chalk site has a good how-to-use bit that applies to any of the
chalks. The regular chalk will bounce off a bit as you're quilting. I don't
usually find that's a problem, but I also quilt it right away. Things might
be different if I was doing it in bits and pieces (or hand quilting). I get
the last of it off with one of those red lint brushes (the kind you use to
get pet hair off the sofa). Washing would also work, but I don't wash
customer quilts.

The pouncers are very user friendly, so long as you remember that the name
is completely wrong, because you DON'T pounce with them, you wipe. Mess it
up? Wipe it off and do it again. It only takes a couple of seconds to mark
the whole stencil, so it's not the end of the world to do it over. (Er, not
that I ever mess up. *cough, cough*)

Many quilting stencils have a smooth side and a rough side. The pouncer
works better if the rough side is up -- the chalk comes out easier. Take
care not to bend the stencil, and you have it made.

HTH!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old April 16th 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

The powder in my pounce brushes right off. The demonstrator at the stencil
booth said to use a microfiber towel to brush it off. There is also a chalk
that stays on until ironed off...yes, ironed off. But I think I've heard a
few dissenters on that from another group I'm in. This pouncer isn't very
gadgety....just like a chalkboard eraser! You don't really "pounce", just
rub the eraser across the stencil. Very cool! It will also work on other
stencils, but you do get a little hung up on the openings sometimes. That's
why these solid fabric stencils are so nice.

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
.

Old April 16th 07, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I haven't quilted with them yet, but I did demo it for a friend who just
stopped by. She was impressed!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old April 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Superb, Kathy. Thank you ever so much for all this information.
I will print it out and put it with my other RCTQ technique print-outs
(several of which are yours already g)
..
In message , Kathy
Applebaum writes

Old April 16th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Thanks Kathyl. This looks like a real possibility. And, what luck!
It's the Malvern show in a month, so I will have something to look for
at the vendor stands!!! I much prefer that to simply wandering. I have
a folder *full* of stencils - not like the one you showed, but I could
look for those too. One or two of our quilt shops are very clued in to
the American market (I think they go over to Houston), and have most of
what you guys talk about. I'll make a note of the sites you mentioned
before and see what I can find. There's no rush. (I'm not supposed to
be doing deadlines this year g)
..
In message aiRUh.59181$oV.6623@attbi_s21, KJ
writes