CAT FIGHT (was ot posts)

Old August 25th 03, 11:22 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

Default CAT FIGHT (was ot posts)

From: animaux

....... Why
do I attract this sort of crap? I'm like a head case magnet.

Two words for you -- New York :-)). CiaoMeow ^;;^
..
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old August 27th 03, 02:43 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

Gotta LOL -- my NY friend *still* says LonGisland and I tease her
unmercifully about it :-))). The other silly thing she says is "C'n we twawk"
(AKA talk, a la Joan Rivers) -- we both laugh and now both say it that way. I
*was* teasing V. in my original post -- just couldn't resist :-). CiaoMeow

One year DD went to church camp with our church from Baltimore, a church
from PA, and one from NJ. She said she could tell the first morning who
was from where. The PA people asked for "kah-fee", the NJ people asked
for "kawfee", and the MD people spoke "normally." [Though I'm willing to
bet they asked for "melk" for their coffee.]

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music

Old August 27th 03, 05:51 PM
Lucille

Ya know--In 60 years of living in Brooklyn, "Nu Yawk" I don't believe I
heard more than two or three people speak with the stereotypical Nu Yawk
accent. Perhaps it's a made up thing "fa da movies?" Ya tink???
Lucille

"animaux" wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 10:24:12 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

Funny - DH grew up in the city - and really fits the stereotype!
Can I ask where in that lovely state!
Cheryl

I grew up in Brooklyn and lived for a time of about 3 years in my teens on

13
street between 3rd and Irving in Manhattan. My father didn't allow me to

talk
like Fran Drescher. Not that she was around back then, but there were

plenty of
them running around. I do have a New York accent, but people here in

Texas
think I'm from Boston, not New York.

I suppose it depends on how our parents speak. My mother and father never

spoke
like yawkas. It was encouraged in my home by my father, since he had

custody of
me, to speak properly. Not like the gang on tha cawna.

Old August 28th 03, 02:54 AM
kirby19711

The sure fire way to tell the difference between NY and NJ is the
pronunciation of the glass container that contains wine. For most
it's bottle. For NY city it's boddle but for Passaic, Essex and now
Bergen counties it's bah'ull with a slight gutteral stop.

Anne

Old August 28th 03, 02:55 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

kirby19711 wrote:
The sure fire way to tell the difference between NY and NJ is the
pronunciation of the glass container that contains wine. For most
it's bottle. For NY city it's boddle but for Passaic, Essex and now
Bergen counties it's bah'ull with a slight gutteral stop.

Yes, that's it exactly! My mom's wine comes in a bah'ull, and she tells
the kids to seh'ull down! Bergen County (though born and raised in NYC)

Sue