DB needle versus HL needle

Old March 27th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default DB needle versus HL needle

Anyone know anything about DB needles versus HL needles? A friend is
looking to buy a sewing machine for quilting: the sewing shop lady was
trying to convince her to buy a Janome instead of the Pfaff she was
originally looking for. In the Janome series, some machines have DB needles
and some HL...but nowhere can I find an explanation. Help!
--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

Old March 28th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kim, check out this site:
http://www.sewingworld.com.au/dealerships_janome.htm

Scroll down to the 1600 series. It looks like the HL needs are stronger than
a "normal" needle, but the DB needles are even stronger, industrial
strength, and may be a little shorter.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 28th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm not sure I get it...does that mean you have to order special needles for
the machine? Sound like a pain...I buy 5 or 6 packs on sale at Fabricland,
and would hate to have to get special ones at a dealer's instead!
Anybody have one of the 1600 series Janomes?

Old March 28th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

That's sure the way I read it. It's only for the 1600 series, though. It
looks as though the rest of the Janomes take standard needles.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 28th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

my Janome 419S takes about any needle so its not a make standard to need
special needles

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old March 28th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:

my Janome 419S takes about any needle so its not a make standard to need
special needles

Jessamy, it will, like most domestic machines made in the last 80 years,
take the standard system 130/705, 15X1, HAx1 needles. 12 of my 13
machines, dating from 1925 take these needles.

When they first came out, some sergers took an industrial standard
needles: there are still several fittings of these floating about.
There are also some older machines, like my 1909 Jones that take
different needles: the ones that fit that machine are used on industrial
bar tackers these days, and I have to order them in specially.

Kim, pop over to the Schmetz web site and look up the needles you need
for your machine. you can order direct from them, or through any shop
that stocks their brand of needles.

http://www.schmetz.com/

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old March 28th 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

ohh now that is useful info :-)

thanks!

mind you .. working on the basis that a universal needle would fit almost
anything I bunged one into my new to me Naumann E2 hand crank (date unknown
as yet) and it was quite happy with it fortunately - the stitch is amazing!

Old March 28th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Jessamy wrote:

ohh now that is useful info :-)

thanks!

mind you .. working on the basis that a universal needle would fit almost
anything I bunged one into my new to me Naumann E2 hand crank (date unknown
as yet) and it was quite happy with it fortunately - the stitch is amazing!

Not really THAT surprising... The Germans were making and using the 705
needle from very early on, and were well known for having
interchangeable parts (up to shuttles!) in many of their machines...

BTW, 'Universal' refers to they TYPE of needle:
knit/jersey/embroidery/metafil/universal... NOT the fitting (705 etc).

Old March 28th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Howdy!
Here's what Janome says:

HL needles are 50% stronger than household needles. The flat back allows for
easy insertion. The Janome 1600P uses HL needles.

DB needles are industrial strength and are available in more sizes than the
standard needle. The Janome 1600P-DBX and the Janome 1600P-DB uses DB
needles.

Thank you for contacting Janome.

Christine Halik
Customer Relations
Janome America, Inc.

~~~~~~~
http://www.janome.com/index.ph

Ragmop/Sandy--I asked, got a quick reply

On 3/27/06 1:18 PM, in article AUWVf.188656$H%4.137241@pd7tw2no, "KI Graham"
wrote:

Anyone know anything about DB needles versus HL needles? A friend is
looking to buy a sewing machine for quilting: the sewing shop lady was
trying to convince her to buy a Janome instead of the Pfaff she was
originally looking for. In the Janome series, some machines have DB needles
and some HL...but nowhere can I find an explanation. Help!

question about sewing with denim and faux furs. [email protected] Needlework 3 January 11th 05 08:37 PM
Punch Needle Embroidery lula Needlework 48 October 6th 04 03:33 PM
Singer Monogrammer for slant needle Tom Farrell Sewing 15 September 7th 04 12:07 AM
knitting: too tight? the spike Yarn 7 August 22nd 04 06:32 PM
faulty needle? FtForger Sewing 4 May 31st 04 10:45 AM