Wool batting questions

Old January 9th 05, 12:56 AM
hfw

Default Wool batting questions

Just received the Hobbs wool batting I'd ordered, and it feels so yummy!
BUT...I'm totally intimidated by the care instructions. For instance, it
says that the quilt must be washed and rinsed AT THE SAME TEMPERATURE (their
emphasis)--and my washing machine only has cold rinse. And it has to be
dried flat at least until it is only barely damp and then it can be air
dried in the dryer.

I'm thinking that I need to return this because I can't expect anyone I give
a quilt to to be able to follow those instructions.

Is this kind of treatment really necessary?

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

Old January 9th 05, 02:09 AM
georg

hfw wrote:

Just received the Hobbs wool batting I'd ordered, and it feels so yummy!
BUT...I'm totally intimidated by the care instructions. For instance, it
says that the quilt must be washed and rinsed AT THE SAME TEMPERATURE (their
emphasis)--and my washing machine only has cold rinse. And it has to be
dried flat at least until it is only barely damp and then it can be air
dried in the dryer.

I'm thinking that I need to return this because I can't expect anyone I give
a quilt to to be able to follow those instructions.

Is this kind of treatment really necessary?

The important thing to be aware of is that wool shrinks - a LOT - when
in hot water or probably the excessive heat of a dryer.

And if it agitated a lot when it's warm and wet, it'll felt. That
changes its shape and feel.

Now, I'm not sure what it'll do in a quilt, honestly. I haven't made a
quilt that I've kept and wanted to wash with wool batting. But it is
indeed a dream to work with.

I'd just wash it cold and line dry. So feel free to send me the finished
wool batted quilt.

-georg
Old January 9th 05, 03:11 AM
JS

I have used the Hobbs wool batting in several quilts. I always wash with
cold water, so the temperature change isn't an issue for me. I do dry it in
the dryer, and there has been no felting that I notice. Of course, I don't
think I would notice if it turned into felt anyway, unless I took the top
apart. The quilt has shrunk a bit, but the top is homespuns and the back is
flannel. The scrunchy, antique look is what I was going for. I don't
prewash anything. The wool has a terrific drape, and the quilt feels
fantastic.

HTH.

Jennifer in Florida

Old January 9th 05, 04:21 AM
hfw

Thanks for the reply!

Do you use any heat in the dryer? I think you'd notice if it felted because
the drape would change and the quilt would feel thinner and firmer.

I don't prewash either...

--Heidi

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

news

Old January 9th 05, 07:49 PM
Pat in Virginia

Heidi:
If your washer, like most today, has only cold rinse
cycle, then you need to use a cold wash cycle too.
As far as giving it to someone else .... once you sleep
with the wool, you won't want to give it away. Keep it
for you and DH!
Next question? PAT, Procrastinating in VA

Old January 9th 05, 08:35 PM
hfw

Thanks, Pat! This is for a wedding gift, lap-size, so it really is going
out. But I do have one planned for DH.

So...what about drying? Does it have to be dried flat? Or can it be put in
the dryer on low or no heat?

Old January 10th 05, 01:06 AM
Pat in Virginia

Judging from my bad experience with a beautiful purple
sleeveless sweater, I'd keep wool away from the dryer.
PAT

Old January 10th 05, 08:51 PM
Kate Dicey

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Judging from my bad experience with a beautiful purple sleeveless
sweater, I'd keep wool away from the dryer.
PAT

I had a royal blue wool sweater once - one if the few in my life that I
could wear close to my skin without scratching myself raw! It was
machine washable, and I wore it and washed it a lot until one day it
turned into a doll sized royal blue felt biscuit. Washed it just the
same as I ever did, and it did that to me! The very cheek of the thing!
I'm always VEEEEERY careful with wool these days, except for the old
military blankets we use as under blankets on the beds: they get machine
washed and tumble dried on the grounds that after 20 years they have
done all the 'spoiling' they are gonna do, and they owe me nothing.
They come up shiny every time!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old January 11th 05, 04:28 AM
Pat in Virginia

Oh yes, that blue sweater must be twin to the purple
one! What irritates me even more is that I did not
remove the lovely silver buttons before I pitched it.
Army and Navy blankets wear forever! We have some that
DH's father had in WWII. I keep one in the car trunk
(boot.) Gray, it must be Navy.
PAT

Old January 12th 05, 07:46 AM
DrQuilter

what is an underblanket?
I thought it was OK to put wool in the drier with no heat, just to
fluff. but I dry all my wool sweaters in one of those mesh shelfs.. I
lost a couple of sweaters to this effect. of course when you want things
to felt they don't, like the balls I knit for Sofia... )

Kate Dicey wrote:

Pat in Virginia wrote:

[...]

(take the dog out before replying)

Wool Batting Question! Dannielle Quilting 11 July 10th 04 07:33 PM
Sturdiest batting CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 12 December 21st 03 11:12 PM
Batting Scraps Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Quilting 13 October 11th 03 04:50 PM
Real wool batting skennedy Quilting 6 July 31st 03 08:56 PM
Felting Wool Lynne in Toronto Quilting 4 July 11th 03 11:57 PM