strickmühleor corking hand crack

Old January 9th 04, 01:15 AM
Els van Dam

Default strickmühleor corking hand crack

I was so intrigued, by the talk about the hand cranked corker......(looks
like I have come up with a new word) I was going tollok for one at my
local yarn store. I had to go in and pick up my "Felted Knits" book as
well Low and behold there was one sitting on the counter. They had just
come in, so I bought one. It is a INOX strickmuhle. I have not even
taken it out of its box as jet. In my book Domino knitting there are
several shawls and ponchos that are finished with cute little pompoms or
balls at the end of the points of the knitting. They are knitted little
balls and I thought that this machine might come in handy in making them.
I must confess, I love gadgets........ I am sure that someone here will
point out to me that you can make these little balls on double pointed
knitting needles as well.....I am sure that it so, still this little
machine looks like a lot of fun.

Will keep you posted on my adventures. Maybe my 6x6 will have little
balls on the four points of each one.....LOL

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old January 9th 04, 01:29 AM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

So, does yours look like the one on the Lacis page or the one on the
Mielke's Farm page?
http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/descn_j.html
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/knit_tls.htm

Note: need to scroll pretty far down to find them on both pages, as I
recall. To me, they look very different from one another even though
they're both Inox brand.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old January 9th 04, 05:00 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

So, does yours look like the one on the Lacis page or the one on the
Mielke's Farm page?
http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/descn_j.html
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/knit_tls.htm

Note: need to scroll pretty far down to find them on both pages, as I
recall. To me, they look very different from one another even though
they're both Inox brand.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Helen I would have to go and have a look at the above websites.

What I have is four knitting machine needles situated around a little
circle with a hole in the center. It is a very simple setup, with its
limitations, as far as different size yarns go. I still have to sit and
play with it, but will do that when there are no curious DH eyes looking
over my shoulders....LOL

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old January 9th 04, 08:02 AM
Shirley Luton

Hi Els,

I'm intrigued by the idea of making "little balls on double pointed knitting
needles" - were you joking, or is this doable (and likely one of those
things that "real" knitters seem to take for granted, while I continue to be
amazed grin)

Shirley

Old January 9th 04, 04:42 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 20:00:18 -0800, (Els van Dam) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Yes, both have that in common. What I'm most interested in is whether it's
the needles that revolve or the yarn carrier.

Old January 9th 04, 11:47 PM
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

So, does yours look like the one on the Lacis page or the one on the
Mielke's Farm page?
http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/descn_j.html
http://www.mielkesfarm.com/knit_tls.htm

Note: need to scroll pretty far down to find them on both pages, as I
recall. To me, they look very different from one another even though
they're both Inox brand.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Helen I have looked at all three and I have bought the blue one. I do
think it will only knit with fine knitting yarns. Combed yarns are to
stiff. It needs a fine lofty yarn for it to work. It is a bit like a
knitting machine. I would love to look at the other two. The one on
Lacis' website is very different. However the prices of the ones with the
steel knitting needles are both the same....$24 US. I paid $24 Canadian
for the one from Germany, the blue one.

I will let you know how it all comes out. It will be Sunday before I get
some quiet time to play with it.

Tomorrow we have Distaff day here in Duncan and we will have more than 65
women coming from all over. Thus it is time to bake a bread and make some
hummus and a salade for the potluck lunch.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old January 10th 04, 12:02 AM
Els van Dam

In article 0msLb.32616$X%5.9127@pd7tw2no, "Shirley Luton"
wrote:

Hi Els,

I'm intrigued by the idea of making "little balls on double pointed knitting
needles" - were you joking, or is this doable (and likely one of those
things that "real" knitters seem to take for granted, while I continue to be
amazed grin)

Yes it is do-able.....It is discribed in the little book called Domino
Knitting by Vivian Høxbro. She call them knitted pompoms. She just knits
a little rectangle leaving a long tail at the cast on side. When you
have your rectangle the size you want do not cut off your thread. Put
stitches on a holding needle. With your long top tail pick up the cast on
stitches and pull your thread through closing the top. Sew your sides
close with invisible sitches. pick up your stitches from your needle
holder and do not pull close yet. Now wind off enough yarn to stuff your
ball or pompom cut of your yarn pull your bottompart close and finish off
your last end....voila a pompom, I would think that you can also do that
by knitting X number of stitches on a double pointed knitting needle and
slide your knitting back to the right side of your needle when your are
finished, do not turn your knitting and bring your thread back to the
right side along the front, pulling it tight. Knit as many rows as you
need this way for your pompom. Now you only have to finish top and bottom
after stuffing it with the same yarn as you used for the knitting.

so be amazed by your own handyness.....LOL

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old January 10th 04, 12:06 AM
Els van Dam

Yes, both have that in common. What I'm most interested in is whether it's
the needles that revolve or the yarn carrier.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org

Helen the needles and the little center part turn around, as well as the
needles go up and down, when you turn the little crank. The wol is
stationairy. I have also not be able to remove the protective see through
tube, so I can get at the needles better. It becomes hard to get your
fingers in there. Certainly nothing for little kids.

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....