Need pattern/stitch for scarf

Old December 1st 05, 01:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Need pattern/stitch for scarf

Welcome Back Susan
Recently I have seen instructions on knitting a 2 sided/colored piece. I
will try to remember where I saw the instructions - could have been in a
book from the library. I have seen a scarf pattern (Gemini - URL please?)
for an alien. The alien is not always visable so this may have a stitch you
can use.
Sorry I don't seem to be alot of help but I am supposed to be getting ready
for work this morning.
Carol in TN
"Soozergirl" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi,
This holiday season I'm unemployed and giving knitted gifts to friends and
family. I am (trying) to knit a scarf for my 10 yr old step-grandson. I'm
working with black and red worsted weight acrylic yarn (apologies to the
yarn purists), and am using what is called a brioche stitch I found in a
book on knitting weekend projects. The projects in the book are knitted in
the round and have an I-cord edging. I want to work with two needles -
probably size 8 or 9. I would like something that shows the red
predominantly on one side, black on the other.

The projects in the book do that by working first round in the light

color,
the second round in the dark color. However, I am not able to figure out

how
to work the red and black every other row using two needles.

The stitch pattern is:
Setup round: K1, sl 1, yo to end of row.
Round one: Sl 1, yo, p2tog, repeat to end.
Round two: K 2tog, sl 1, yo, repeat to end.
(I'm converting to straight rows).

If anyone can suggest a stitch that will do what I need, I would

appreciate
it. Or, a project pattern would be good, but I just really need a stitch

use. Or - how to knit using red for row one, black for row two.

Thanks!
Susan

***************************
Knitting is a haven, a safe place
where one can touch history,
dance with art,
and create a peaceful life.
---Nancy Bush, author of "Folk Socks"

---

Old December 1st 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

[...]

it. Or, a project pattern would be good, but I just really need a stitch to

Old December 1st 05, 09:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article .net,
Soozergirl wrote:
Hi,
This holiday season I'm unemployed and giving knitted gifts to friends and
family. I am (trying) to knit a scarf for my 10 yr old step-grandson. I'm
working with black and red worsted weight acrylic yarn (apologies to the
yarn purists), and am using what is called a brioche stitch I found in a
book on knitting weekend projects. The projects in the book are knitted in
the round and have an I-cord edging. I want to work with two needles -
probably size 8 or 9. I would like something that shows the red
predominantly on one side, black on the other.

The projects in the book do that by working first round in the light color,
the second round in the dark color. However, I am not able to figure out how
to work the red and black every other row using two needles.

The easiest way would be to use two long double pointed needles (or
use a short circular needle to knit back and forth).
Knit one row red, then go back to the beginning and knit one row black.
Then pick up the red and knit back, and then pick up the black and knit back.
And so on.

Jane Neighbors' book _Reversible Two-Color Knitting_ had some interesting
patterns that had one side very different from the other, but most of them
required double pointed needles, and the book is out of print and fairly rare.

Here's one she called Shadow Rib:
Using two dpns and an odd number of stitches:
Cast on in dark color. Turn and knit starting row with dark yarn:
p1, *(k1, p1)* to end.
Slide stitches to the other end and begin using light yarn:

Pattern Row 1. With light yarn: slip 1 yif, *(k1 into the loop in the
row below the next stitch and slip that next stitch off the left needle, p1)*
repeat, end with slip 1 yif. Turn to knit back, but begin with dark yarn:

Pattern Row 2. With dark yarn: k1, p1, *(k into row below next stitch, p1)*,
end with k last stitch. Now slide the stitches to the other end, and pick up
the light yarn again.

Pattern Row 3. With light yarn: slip 1 yib, *(p into row below next st, k1)*
end with slip 1 yib. Turn to knit back but begin with dark yarn:

Pattern Row 4. With dark yarn: p1, k1 (*p1 into row below next st, k1)*
end with purl stitch. Slide stitches to the other end of the dpn, and
pick up the light yarn to begin with row 1 again.

The four rows are the pattern. This is a two-color relative of the brioche
stitch. She says the stitches slither this way and that so one side is more
dark and the other is more light.

=Tamar
Old December 1st 05, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article .net,
Soozergirl wrote:
[...]

Richard,
This looks like what I need - later today I will sit down and try it out.
Thanks!!
Susan K

=Tamar

---

Old December 1st 05, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The lady thinks I'm a miracle worker.... either that or I just have a
reputation for coming up with all sorts of URLs. LOL Just kidding! I'm
actually very flattered that you would think that I would know this. I
quite honestly hadn't seen a pattern for anything like this, or if I did, I
just never noticed it.

The closest thing I can think of is crocheted, but at the moment I can't
even think what that is called... where you crochet across in one colour and
work your way back in the other colour. What's really bad about this is...
that I have actually done this (in dark grape and dusty rose), but it *was*
about four or five years ago and it was only once that I did it. ;o)

Gemini

. ..

Old December 2nd 05, 12:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

OK, I am losing it. This is called "illusion knitting" and here is a URL.
It is not for the alien scarf because it is in the "Stitch N Bitch" book but
this explains the technique.
http://geeyouknit.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/01/
Hope this works and sorry that it is not what you were looking for but
something interesting just the same.
Carol in TN

"MRH" mthecarpenterATxcelcoDOTonDOTca wrote in message
The lady thinks I'm a miracle worker.... either that or I just have a
reputation for coming up with all sorts of URLs. LOL Just kidding! I'm
actually very flattered that you would think that I would know this. I
quite honestly hadn't seen a pattern for anything like this, or if I did,

just never noticed it.

The closest thing I can think of is crocheted, but at the moment I can't
even think what that is called... where you crochet across in one colour

and
work your way back in the other colour. What's really bad about this

is...
that I have actually done this (in dark grape and dusty rose), but it

*was*
about four or five years ago and it was only once that I did it. ;o)

Gemini

. ..

Old December 2nd 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Gem,

Are you thinking of tunisan crochet?

Hugs,

Nora

Old December 2nd 05, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

No clue, Nora. All I know is that it was a VERY long crochet hook.... may
have even been the one with a hook at both ends. But it turned out looking
really neat. Not quite what I was expecting, but still neat! )

Gem

oups.com...

Old December 2nd 05, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

--
This property protected by Smith and Wesson four days a week - - you
guess which days.

[...]

Do a search for shadow knitting.
DA