Fiberfrax and soft firebrick supplier (ABQ or internet)?

Old August 21st 05, 07:53 AM
Bert

Default Fiberfrax and soft firebrick supplier (ABQ or internet)?

I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating
firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and
have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does
anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a
reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?

Thanks.
Bert
Old August 21st 05, 01:19 PM
Bugs

There is, or used to be a large jewelers supply in Albuquerque called
Rio Grande Jewelers Supply. They carried all kinds of refractory
material for casting & silver soldering. I specifically remember white
soldering blocks that were made from Alumina if I recall correctly.
Take a walk through the Yellow Pages.
Bugs

Old August 21st 05, 03:36 PM
Javahut

"Bert" wrote in message
I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating
firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and
have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does
anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a
reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?

Thanks.
Bert

Must not be a lot of hot furnaces in NM?

Go here, look around, but the nearest for you is either Texas or Utah,
bummer... http://www.hwr.com/

Old August 21st 05, 03:42 PM
Roy

I have a full unopened case of soft type refractory brick I was going
to use for a heat treat furnace and line a forge with, that I am not
going to use now....but I would think shipping would be pretty high on
the weight. IIRC there is either 25 or 50 bricks to the box and
overall weight is like 50 or so pounds.....

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 06:53:55 GMT, Bert wrote:

===I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating
===firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
===reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and
===have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does
===anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a
===reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?
===
===Thanks.
===Bert

"The original frugal ponder"
Old August 21st 05, 04:13 PM
Mike Firth

I think you will have difficulty buying these in broken boxes. IFB used to
be only in full boxes here in Dallas while hard brick could be bought each.
On the other hand, some refractory suppliers will sell left over from rolls
and individual boards. Check Refractory in Yellow Pages.
There are a number of glassblowing studios in Santa Fe. You might ask
them.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old August 21st 05, 06:21 PM
Steve Ackman

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.crafts.glass.]
In , Bert wrote:

I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating
firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and
have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does
anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a
reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?

Have you tried http://www.nmclay.com/ ?

Don't specifically recall seeing firebrick, but they
had kiln cement when I shopped there 7 years ago.
Old August 22nd 05, 10:13 PM

The soft, insulating firebricks are good, but they are rather fragile
when at temperature. The heavy-duty ones take longer to come up to
heat, but are much more sturdy. You might want to use heavy-duty bricks
in the floor of a forge, or any place the bricks might get knocked
over...

I'm using stacked bricks for the mouth of my forge. It's easy to hook
the end of a piece and pull over the bricks when taking something out
of the forge. I've done it a couple of times...

Old August 23rd 05, 02:43 AM
jerry wass

Bert wrote:

I'm looking for Fiberfrax (or similar) boards and insulating
firebricks (the soft, lightweight kind) for building a temporary,
reconfigurable forge. I've tried a couple of local brick suppliers and
have been going through some Google hits with no luck so far. Does
anyone know of a supplier for these in Albuquerque, or possibly a
reliable online supplier that will sell small quantities?

Thanks.
Bert

I have a bunch of Fiberfrax-----did you get my reply of 10 minutes ago??
it didn't show up in my "sent" file---Jerry
Old August 23rd 05, 07:38 PM
jerry wass

Steve Ackman wrote:

From: jerry wass