charm quilt questions

Old June 18th 05, 12:10 AM
Helen in MN

Default charm quilt questions

Well, I bought the papers in 2000, so technically it could be millennium
quilt - okay, so that didn't fly.

Anyway, I have been making my 2" paper diamonds, working towards a tumbling
block quilt. I have enough made that I can start playing with them. So some
questions are popping up for you veteran charm quilters.
Did you play with them first, sorting them and then sewing some together, or
did you wait and only sew them together when you had all the pieces done
Did you try to sort them, or did you just say "what the heck" and sew them
together? I do know I'll sort light, medium and dark, but other than
that....?
Do you have pictures of finished charm quilts so I can get encouragement?

Thanks in advance
Helen in MN

Old June 18th 05, 12:19 AM
Carolyn McCarty

Hi Helen. I did lots of fabric-covered diamonds first, keeping them
separated by color families. Then I sat and played with them until I had
lots of sets of three (dark, medium and light) and I stacked the sets into a
box. I sewed the blocks together while watching TV, riding in the car,
waiting in the doctor's office, etc. In fact, when my son was injured and I
had to spend two weeks just sitting close, I got at least half the blocks
sewn together and into rows for the quilt. I remember one night toward the
end of the assembly process I sat with a bunch of friends who sorted
diamonds into block sets for me. It was a grand quilt when finished.
Unfortunately, I sent it off in a hurry when it was done and didn't get
pictures. The mother of the child I sent it to never did send me pictures
of the quilt. I'm still sorry about that.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you aren't trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green

Old June 18th 05, 12:23 AM
AliceW

Helen, I am in the process of making a tumbler charm quilt. Try as I might,
I can't do the "just pull from the brown paper bag" thing. I audition each
fabric. I don't spend a lot of time or anguish over it, but I do like to
make sure there is enough contrast between the neighbors. I have 6 or 7
rows done already, but I arrange the blocks for each row using the row just
completed. I know, I know, it sounds a bit anal, but it's just the way that
works for me. Have fun with yours however you decide to do it.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

:

Old June 18th 05, 11:35 AM
Helen in MN

How many diamonds did you do and what size? I started thinking last night
about how big this project was going to be. I can't figure out how to do the
math on this one! I'm using 2 " diamonds.
Helen in MN

Old June 18th 05, 11:53 AM
Roberta Zollner

Never made a charm quilt, but just wanted to point out that a millenium is
1000 years, so you have plenty of time!
Roberta in D

Old June 18th 05, 01:39 PM
AliceW

Helen, try this site for help on these calculations. Should give you
somewhat of an idea of what size you are dealing with.

http://www.geocities.com/quiltfrenzy...rgerchart.html

--

"Helen in MN" wrote in message
: How many diamonds did you do and what size? I started thinking last night
: about how big this project was going to be. I can't figure out how to do
the
: math on this one! I'm using 2 " diamonds.
: Helen in MN
:
: --
: "Carolyn McCarty" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: If it ain't broke, it ain't mine. --Carolyn McCarty
:
: If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools --Red Green
: If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer. --Carolyn McCarty
:
: ...

Old June 19th 05, 11:49 AM
Helen in MN

I'm counting on that!
Helen in MN

Old June 21st 05, 06:20 AM
DrQuilter

take a look at mine. started in 99, still in progress... carefull
planning in this case:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36873794NQCrQu

Helen in MN wrote:

Well, I bought the papers in 2000, so technically it could be millennium
quilt - okay, so that didn't fly.

Anyway, I have been making my 2" paper diamonds, working towards a tumbling
block quilt. I have enough made that I can start playing with them. So some
questions are popping up for you veteran charm quilters.
Did you play with them first, sorting them and then sewing some together, or
did you wait and only sew them together when you had all the pieces done
Did you try to sort them, or did you just say "what the heck" and sew them
together? I do know I'll sort light, medium and dark, but other than
that....?
Do you have pictures of finished charm quilts so I can get encouragement?

Thanks in advance
Helen in MN

--
Dr. Quilter
(take the dog out for a walk)
Old June 21st 05, 03:00 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

OHMIGAWSH!! I would never get something like this done. It would just
overwhelm me.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"