OT help with cholesterol

Old June 19th 05, 06:35 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

Lipitor has been linked to Dermatamyositis. I was on it for years for
hyperlipids and my internist believes it was a contributing factor in my
disease.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"maryd" wrote in message
I am not one to promote medications, but Lipitor brought my numbers into
line when diet and exercise didn't.

--
Mary
"Joanna" wrote in message
news0Hse.59241$HI.17736@edtnps84...
: I'm 34 and just got told that I have high cholesterol. I'm shocked. I'm
: not the one eating a big bag of potato chips every night. I am the one
: that eats salads, and green stuff along with fresh and canned veggies.
: My husband won't eat this stuff unless I'm home and I put it on his
: plate. Other wise it's fast food for him. And to boot he's the one that
: is about 30lbs over weight, all in the belly. I'm maybe 10 lbs over
: weight but most of the time it's slightly under 10 lbs. So now that I'm
: over being angry at him that it happened to me, help.
:
: All my dr said was to exercise at least 15 mins a day and at least 5
: days a week. She said 7 days a week would be better. I don't understand
: this cuz I work as a PCA and put probably 10 miles on my feet a night.
: On days off daughter and I often go for walks and chase each other
: around the house running. My chiropractor said almonds, a handful every
: day and flaxseed oil. Just want to hear some others experiences and
: thoughts.
: Thanx
: Joanna
: PS no hubby has not been tested. won't go for a blood test. Took me two
: years to get him to go get his back checked. That was after not seeing a
: dr in over ten years. So I'm working on that one.
: --
: Remove QUILT to reply
:

Old June 19th 05, 07:00 AM
maryd

We take chances with every medication we take. I've been on Lipitor for 2
years or is it 3. Anyway, my PCP does a work up every 6 months and stresses
the importance of me calling him if I have any muscle pain or other
unexplained symptoms. Life is a chance and I will take every chance I can
to live life and enjoy kids and grandkids.

--
Mary

Old June 19th 05, 02:15 PM
nana2b

A friend of mine cannot take any Cholesterol meds that are Statins.
Thankfully they developed some without and they work fine for her. The
wonders of modern medicine. Or as they say "Better Living Through
Chemicals".

Linda in Tx

Old June 19th 05, 03:41 PM
Debra

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 01:24:17 GMT, CNYstitcher
wrote:

Speaking from personal experience.....you could be genetically
pre-disposed to having higher cholesterol. DH has high cholesterol,
even when on the special diets (in fact, it went even higher). My
father also has high cholesterol, but he is getting better. When I was
tested, they couldn't believe how low mine was....wanted to know what I
was eating, etc. so they could pass it on to others who need cholesterol
help. They were shocked to hear that I eat fast food, red meat, drink
coffee and smoke. However, I htink they saw the light when I told them
I regularly eat Cheerios and oatmeal (regardless of the season). I also
eat lots of salads, green beans with almonds, and other healthy things.
DH is eating them now as well because, when I cook, he eats (and vice
versa) with little or no complaint. Basically, it's a "be thankful you
have somebody to cook for you" attitude.

Sounds corny, and I rambled a bit, but the docs finally said they think
that the oatmeal and cheerios are what is keeping my cholesterol low.

Larisa

It really is true about the oatmeal and cheerios (or any other oat
cereal). Eat them every day and your numbers will be lower within a
month. (Snort! I guess that means if you eat your oats you'll be
healthy as a horse.) There are also foods that bring down the level
of only the bad cholesterol--salmon is one of them. Seems the Omega-3
fatty acids are the helpful part of the salmon. If you don't like
fish you can get the pills in the vitamin section of any drugstore.
Personally I think grilled salmon is tastier than the pills. :-)

One thing I know is grilling over a fire made our numbers fall. There
were a few other advantages like I didn't have as many pots and pans
to clean after cooking. The food was yummier too.
Debra in VA
Old June 19th 05, 04:04 PM
Bonnie NJ

Hi,
I've been reading all this advice about how to lower cholestrol and it's
just depressing me. I've been eating oatmeal, flaxseed, only egg whites, no
red meat, fish, chicken, no shrimp, walnuts for a year now and my numbers
have finally gotten down to 265. My good cholestrol is at 57. My doc is
hesitant to put me on any meds because I'll have to have monthly blood tests
because of my autoimmune liver disease (which is the cause of the high
cholestrol numbers in the first place). It's a never ending circle and very
frustrating
DH is doing wonderfully after his triple bypass and his total cholestrol is
now 100. Of course, that is because of his drastic diet change and meds!
He's now on the same diet as me.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old June 19th 05, 05:49 PM
Butterfly

MY SCOTT (for the Newbies--this is to diff between the diff Scotts we had at
the same time)

Whatever pills you are swallowing must be working-you are visiting with us
more often.....YAY! we missed you

YOUR BUTTERFLY (Yes, we DID have more than one Butterfly--not sure where she
went tho--besides our Blue Morpho)

"Scott Williams" wrote in message
Joanna, I found out my cholesterol is VERY high also, of course I would
just as soon eat the fat off of a piece of meat than the meat itself.
And PAN DRIPPING!! well lets not even go there. Fact of the matter is
sometimes even the best diet and exercise can still have a problem yet
another person to the opposite extreme is fine. Not fair I know, but
there are meds that help. If you have shared your good diet and activity
with your doctor I think He / she should give you meds as well. I am
taking Vytorin for cholesterol. At least that is the one I think is for
that, I have been swallowing so many pills for the last 18 months I
sometimes get confused. Anyway ASK YOUR DOCTOR! Scott in CA

Old June 20th 05, 02:38 PM
the black rose

Taria wrote:

That can be the case but not always. Diet and exercise can make a
difference for some people. I would encourage anyone to try to make
changes before going straight to meds. You got bad genes, but not
everyone with elavated cholesterol does. MAny of us really do eat
poorly and don't exercise enough. IT can make a big difference to
eat right for some.
Taria

And -- recent studies are showing that the exercise threshold you need
to reach is 90 minutes a week to get the benefits. 80 minutes has a
significant drop in beneficial effect -- it's gotta be 90 or more.

That works out to 15 minutes a day, 6 days a week, so it's not hard to
reach if you exercise daily.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old June 20th 05, 04:30 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

They put me on Zetia when they learned the Lipitor caused my
Dermatamyositis. It works really well if not better than the Lipitor - with
almost no side effects.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old June 21st 05, 08:23 AM
Joanna

Thanx to all who have replied. As usual your wealth of knowledge was
wonderful. I will be putting some of those suggestions to use and we
will see in three months if it improves.

When I wrote the message I was still in a little tither. Well now I've
had time to think and it maybe genetic. One person an uncle passed away
in his mid 30's from a heart attack. No warning, no nothing, never sick
a day in his life. So now I don't feel so bad knowing that some of it
could be genetic.
Thanx again
Joanna
--
Remove QUILT to reply

Old June 21st 05, 01:42 PM
Pat in Virginia

Joanna:
Yes, try to relax. My doctor told me not to stress about cholesterol,
just continue to exercise, eat properly, and get the numbers checked.
She reminded me that all the numbers must be considered. She also told
me she has had vegan patients who run marathons have really high
cholesterol numbers.

FWIW, some times doctors have the patient's thyroid level checked before
starting any medication for cholesterol.

Good Luck.

PAT in VA/USA