Paint for doll-house building?

Old February 3rd 04, 06:53 PM
Cathy Weeks

Default Paint for doll-house building?

Hi all,
What's the difference between the paint sold in dollhouse craft
stores, and the stuff sold at your average hardware store? Quantity?
Viscosity? I don't have a convenient dollhouse store nearby and trying
to look at paint colors over the computer is giving me a headache.
I'd rather go in person to pick my colors.

Cathy Weeks
Old February 3rd 04, 11:12 PM
havana bill & holly

Cathy, There is an argument that the paint sold in dh craft stores has a
finer ground pigment that is more in scale than hardware store paint. I use
hardware store or even discount store and Big Lots paint to paint dhs and no
one has come up to me and said the paint looks out of scale. I do know it's
less expensive buying from a big-box hardware store, and the closest dh
store is Ron's in Orlando!

Old February 4th 04, 04:29 AM
Herb

Cathy Weeks wrote:

Hi all,
What's the difference between the paint sold in dollhouse craft
stores, and the stuff sold at your average hardware store? Quantity?
Viscosity? I don't have a convenient dollhouse store nearby and trying
to look at paint colors over the computer is giving me a headache.
I'd rather go in person to pick my colors.

Cathy Weeks

DH paint comes in smaller containers.
For crafts, you can have many dozens of different colors and still have
room to put them!

Buying a pint for $2.00 and using only a couple of ounces before it
dries out seems wasteful.
Buying an ounce for $2.00 and using it all up doesn't seem to waste
anything (they DO close and reseal better than paint cans)

More seriously - it depends on which "stuff sold at your average
hardware store" you're talking about. Real high quality house paints
tend to be thicker than you'd want to use on small parts, but it can
work on walls or exteriors if they don't have a lot of fine detail.

- Herb
Old February 4th 04, 08:39 PM
Chuck

On 3 Feb 2004 09:53:25 -0800, (Cathy Weeks)
wrote:

Hi all,
What's the difference between the paint sold in dollhouse craft
stores, and the stuff sold at your average hardware store? Quantity?
Viscosity? I don't have a convenient dollhouse store nearby and trying
to look at paint colors over the computer is giving me a headache.
I'd rather go in person to pick my colors.

There _is_ such a thing as "scale" paint, which indeed does have finer
grain pigment. You can look at and purchase it at
www.micromark.com

--
Chuck *#:^)
chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Old February 5th 04, 12:48 AM
Cathy Weeks

(Chuck) wrote in message ...

There _is_ such a thing as "scale" paint, which indeed does have finer
grain pigment. You can look at and purchase it at
www.micromark.com

But what does that mean to the finished product? How will it look and handle?

Cathy Weeks
Old February 5th 04, 12:57 AM
vixx'

Cathy Weeks wrote:
(Chuck) wrote in message ...

There _is_ such a thing as "scale" paint, which indeed does have finer
grain pigment. You can look at and purchase it at
www.micromark.com

But what does that mean to the finished product? How will it look and handle?

i suppose that you get sharper edges..

--
vixx'

Antique Wooden House Wooden House Indonesia Carving 0 January 6th 05 04:06 AM
a proper intro? -- long Peggy Beads 37 September 27th 04 07:47 PM
OT - little bitty anxiety attacks Jalynne Beads 47 September 4th 04 06:02 PM
Good vibes needed S. Burwash Beads 24 September 2nd 03 09:34 PM
Do I need to prime my new house? Steve B Doll Houses 2 July 17th 03 06:33 PM