sculpeylll help please

Old April 19th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
beady eyes

Default sculpeylll help please

Hi,
I am doing my first piece - a pendant flower- and I have a question
that I haven't seen posted. I like making dainty flowers, the size of
real johnny jump-ups. Because the base of the flower is 1/2 " thick
and the petals are paper thin, how much time should I bake this
piece? Is this the best clay for this type of project?

I cannot believe the talented people doing this. And I thought this
was "kid stuff"! Easily addicting...huh!
Thanks in advance.
PC
Old April 19th 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.polymer-clay
Sarajane Helm

hi there!
Sculpey111 is very soft, and very brittle after baking. Its at the weak end
of the clay line, and Kato is the strongest in my comparisons, then Premo
and Fimo and Cernit. All clays need to be conditioned first tnad then baked
long enough and hot enough for best strength. Use the temp suggested on the
package and standard on times is 25 minutes per 1/4 of thicknes with ten
minutes added on for the oven to come back to full temp after you've opened
the door to put things in there. So I'd say about an hour for your half inch
thick flowers. Put them on paper or polyfill, not o the bare metal of the
baking pan. Use an oven thermometer too--the one's in the ovens are
notoriously WRONG!!

and have fun, thats the biggest tip we can share here!
Sarajane

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art