stretching bottle necks

Old October 31st 05, 08:37 PM
Phil

Default stretching bottle necks

Hi there,

I know that a similar question was asked not long ago, so forgive me
for trying to squeeze a little extra info from you experts. How do you
stretch the neck (alone) of a bottle - as I'm sure you've all seen, the
neck can be stretched and twisted massively while the rest of the
bottle retains its shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

for example.

I'd be very grateful for any guidance on this.

Many thanks

Phil

Old October 31st 05, 08:55 PM
Mike Firth

These are more complicated than the previous request, which just involved
sticking the bottle in a kiln and letting gravity stretch them.
To retain the shape, these would have to be heated to about 1000F in a kiln
built for access then a high Btu torch applied to just the neck area, the
manipulation done with special gloves or proper tools, held while cool to
stiffness, then properly anneal over about 3 - 4 hours.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
ups.com...

Old November 3rd 05, 04:29 PM
Phil

Many thanks for that info, Mike - greatly appreciated. Could I trouble
you with a further question about the detail? I'm sure this would be
obvious to me if I knew much about glass manipulation but...

How would the second part - the torching and stretching - be done? Is
it somehow possible to apply a torch within the kiln, or is the bottle
removed for the torching? The latter seems unlikely, but if the
torching is done inside the kiln.... how is this possible?

Please excuse my ignorance, and again - any guidance at all on this
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Phil

Old November 3rd 05, 06:36 PM
Mike Firth

Very carefully.
The reason for the complication is preserving the shape of the neck (to put
the cap back on) and the bottom.
It would almost certainly require that the person working be exposed to the
heat of the kiln and work with the torch within the kiln. The torch would
probably have to be one of the "bush burner" style that puts out 200,000+
Btuh.
If they were being made as anything more than a one off, it would probably
be worth making a specialized kiln/heating box with a side door (instead of
trying to work in a kiln with a top opening door) and then move each one to
an annealing kiln after shaping.
Just stretching the neck and letting the bottle parts flatten in the heat
is much easier, it is preserving the shape of top and bottom that makes it
tricky and hot.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
ups.com...

Old November 3rd 05, 11:01 PM
Randy H.

I saw how it was done many years ago at a local fair. They used an electric
heater that was in a sleeve just large enough to fit around the bottle neck.
Just tall enough so the bottle top was exposed out the top. It would heat
only that area of the neck. I believe the bottles were suspended in the air
by the top of the bottle neck. When the glass got hot enough the bottle
would start to drop. At that point is when you start to make your twists. I
know this sounds crazy, but they are not annealed after that. Proof in
point........the labels are still on the bottles!

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech.
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Old November 4th 05, 01:39 AM
Mike Firth

Perhaps the original poster (someone) contacted me with a somewhat similar
description. I just replied. They refered to a #10 can sized sleeve.
The labels shown on the bottles on eBay don't count because they are
screened paint and will survive the heat, in fact are applied while the
bottles are still hot before original annealing. One of the sporting things
I have done is cut Coke and other bottles apart, rearrange the pieces, and
fuse them to hanging things - the print survives. The bottles can also be
sagged flat and have the printing survive.
At this link http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/wa...tm#FUSEDBOTTLE is
an experiment with a Corona beer bottle re arranged into a fuse bowl.
I ended the description in the reply with "and pray" because of the lack
of annealing.

Old November 4th 05, 03:58 AM
Randy H.

Hi Mike,

I guess I should have looked closer at the bottle label!

I have a bad habit of scratching off the label with my thumb as I slowly
saver the evervesence of my beer of choice. That way I do not mix my bottle
up with someone else's.

I think your right about the Corona, but I'm not sure about the Bud Light
bottle. I think this gives me good cause to buy a six pack and do some
investigating!

I agree 100% on the pray without annealing!

Randy Hansen

Old November 4th 05, 02:37 PM
Mike Firth

With paper labels you have to soak them off and glue them on again if near
the heat.
I am thinking of making a can to try and do it - I have the parts on hand.
The guy goodthngsdontlast selling on eBay says
yes that is fine i make them and if you have
any questions please let me know
Respond to this question in My Messages.

Thank you for using eBay!
http://www.ebay.com/

--

"Phil" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi there,

I know that a similar question was asked not long ago, so forgive me
for trying to squeeze a little extra info from you experts. How do you
stretch the neck (alone) of a bottle - as I'm sure you've all seen, the
neck can be stretched and twisted massively while the rest of the
bottle retains its shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

for example.

I'd be very grateful for any guidance on this.

Many thanks

Phil

Attached Images

Old November 6th 05, 03:16 AM
Mike Firth

Did some work, bottles survived without annealing, to my surprise.
see here
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm#NECKMELT

Old November 6th 05, 04:56 AM
nJb

Mike Firth wrote:

Did some work, bottles survived without annealing, to my surprise.
see here
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/bottle.htm#NECKMELT

Nice work, Mike.

This was developed at Viewmont High? Just down the street from me.

--
Jack

Plonked by Thomas

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom