Dear Jane?

Old March 9th 05, 07:06 AM
Karen Johnson

Default Dear Jane?

Has anyone here done a Dear Jane quilt?

I'm apparently in the process of being bitten by the bug ... Any words
of advice from anybody?

I remember Tutu talking about doing hers a few years back (Tutu? Are
you still on rctq?). Just saw pictures of the two she did, and wow,
they're spectacular ...

Did any of you survive the experience?

Karen Johnson

http://www.dabukar.com
Old March 9th 05, 07:45 AM
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Someone call me??

Advice on making a Dear Jane? Have fun!

Seriously though, don't leave all the triangles till last ... try and keep
up with them as you go along. Don't agonise about errors - I've got some
lulus in my quilts and no-one has yet picked them up (Shhhhh).

What fabrics are you using? Inquiring minds need to know.

Cheers for now

Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa

Old March 9th 05, 08:16 AM
Patti

Hullo Karen
I haven't *done*! I am *doing*
I am doing a modified one - tailored to suit the size I have available,
so I'm only doing 100 blocks and no triangles. Getting back to it is
one of the things I have promised myself in this my 'no deadlines' year.
I am not using traditional fabrics.
..
In article , Karen Johnson
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old March 9th 05, 10:21 AM
dreamboat

I have bought the book and about 200 fat quarters+
about 15 yards of civil war material and am going to
start it one of these days. I have accumulated all the
material from ebay and quilt shows. I want to make
it as close to the original one as I can. Wish me
luck.
dreamboat

Old March 9th 05, 12:15 PM
georg

Karen Johnson wrote:

Has anyone here done a Dear Jane quilt?

I'm apparently in the process of being bitten by the bug ... Any words
of advice from anybody?

I signed up for the 2004 Stitchin Heaven Block of the Month dear Jane
kit. I have the cd and the book. I am planning on handstitching
everything, but I may break down and paperpiece the triangles. I've
never paper pieced before, so that'll be an additional learning experience.

The BOM is set up to do 8 squares and 2 triangles a month. I confess, I
had to set it aside for another project I am working on (almost done!
almost done!) but I should get back to it again very soon. They send 20
fat 16ths each month- one "white" and one "color" from which to make a
block or a triangle. I am interspersing my own fabric wherever I don't
like their fabric.

My advice is to cut out and plan a couple of blocks at once, and find a
way that works for you to carry them around. I am using ziplock sadwich
bags- one block per bag, with the name of the square on the baggie.
Gallon bags for the triangles so they can be flat. I am not going to
trim until I am ready to sash them, and I'll iron them then.

-georg
30, 6, 0, ? DJ SHBOM04
(number of blocks done, triangles done, kites done, pieces)
Old March 9th 05, 01:07 PM
AliceW

I've seen Tutu's quilt up close and personal. It is stunning beyond words.
And this was her FIRST quilt if memory serves me correctly. Not her first
Dear Jane, her first quilt! Pictures of it are on my website (link in
addy) in the Fort Washington pictures section.

I have gotten the books and template software and have started collecting
fabrics to make one myself. It's on my list of things to do - page 2.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us

:

Old March 9th 05, 02:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Georg:
Are you talking about Foundation piecing with
paper? Or are you talking about English Piecing
Technique? If you want to do the DJ all by hand,
you can do that either way. Just do the EP by
hand, which is the regular way to do it. Prefer
Foundation Piecing? Use thin muslin instead of
paper for the foundation. HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Old March 9th 05, 03:41 PM
georg

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Georg:
Are you talking about Foundation piecing with paper? Or are you talking
about English Piecing Technique? If you want to do the DJ all by hand,
you can do that either way. Just do the EP by hand, which is the regular
way to do it. Prefer Foundation Piecing? Use thin muslin instead of
paper for the foundation. HTH.

Neither.

I am doing all of the blocks as handpiecing with no foundation, or
straightforward needleturn applique.

But the triangles may do better with paperpiecing on machine. I have the
CD- I can print out the triangles and do them that way. Otherwise, I
would do them the same as I am doing the blocks. No, I've never paper
pieced, and it may be as good excuse as any to get them done, and learn
how.

I could expirament with the English paper piecing if the block suggests
it. But so far, if I can do it without any aids, I am just doing it. I
can see where several techniques could be used with great effect. The
EPP may be easier for several.

I don't mind if I end up not doing the whole thing by hand. For all I
know, I'll be so happy to have the top done, I'll cram it into my sewing
machine for the quilting. (but some how, I doubt it!) The main goals are
to enjoy the process and learn something, and have a quilt for me I can
be proud of.

-georg
Old March 9th 05, 03:48 PM
Betty in Wi

I have 127 blocks done. I am using civil war prints and shirting for the
white. My blocks are hand pieced, sm pieced, paper pieced and appliqued. Buy
the software---it's very helpful. We have a very small group that meets once
a month to give each other support. One of the ladies in our group has her
top done.....and we are having a quilting bee at her house next week to
start quilting it!! Hints? Start with the easy blocks and work your way up
to the more difficult. Check the DearJane web site and read the hints there.
There are many ways to do those blocks....do what works best for you.

Betty in WI

Old March 9th 05, 03:51 PM
KJ

You all are dangerous! I have the Dear Jane program put out by Electric
Quilt, but haven't really caught the bug. Now I'm thinking that having some
of these little hand projects would be good for my Wednesday morning small
group meetings. I do mostly machine work and other than sewing bindings, I
don't have much hand work to take to our meetings. Plus I have a collection
of 30's fabrics that might be cute in the Dear Jane blocks. Now my question
is....how do I get started? Are there certain blocks that would be best to
start with? I know how to needleturn appliqué, but I'm not very adept at
it. Oh my, just what I need....another project!