A newbie Square idea

Old September 25th 03, 10:50 PM
Cher

Default A newbie Square idea

I know that some of you on here are a little bit worried that your knitting
isnt as good as you would like it to be, and some of you have emailed me
privately to say that you would like to take part in the 6x6 but feel that
you aren't up to standard yet, whilst you can knit plain, you've not yet got
the purl stitch perfected, and therefore feel that you aren't good
enough...Rubbish...you CAN do it... here is how:-
First of all on a piece of paper, draw a six inch square! Now think colour,
so your partner has said she would like yellow or blue squares...fine..
Look in your yarn shop for variegated yarns, those yarns that go from one
colour to another in one ball of wool/yarn. You may find one that actually
goes from yellow to blue...if not then get one ball going through all shades
of yellows and another one going through all the shades of blue.

Well.....these variegated yarns knitted plainly make lovely squares too...
Try casting on three stitches this done.. knit one row, then keeping to
every row knit(garter stitch)...increase one stitch at the beginning of
every row, ( knit one stitch, now insert your needle into the back of the
next stitch, put the yarn around the needle - pull the needle through, as if
to knit it off, but hold it, and re-insert the needle into the front of the
stitch and knit both stitches off together)until it is the same size as your
six inch drawn square,from corner to corner, as you will now be working
across the square from corner to corner..you'll see as you do it just turn
your drawn square around to look like a diamond shape.... now decrease(knit
one, then knit the next two stitches together) one stitch at the beginning
of every row until you have three stitches left, cast off.

This is an ideal way of making an easy square for your partner but by using
a variegated yarn, it will come out quite pretty. I for one would welcome a
square like this, and I am sure that your partner will treasure your work
just because you had a go, and turned your early knitting skills into pretty
squares that will forever remind her of you!

You will find that the square is knitted diagonally, so as well as the
colour changes of the yarn, the knitting goes across from corner to
corner...So don't dispair even the most inexperienced knitter can make
beautiful squares.

Well there's food for thought.....so even a brand new knitter can have a
go..and help to create someone elses afghan throw..

Cheers......Cher

---

Old September 26th 03, 04:21 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi all,

I have to agree with Noreen and say that I can't make one come out exactly six
inches no matter how hard I try. I've changed hook sizes and still can't so at
least it's near enough so never feel you can't make it, I know you can.

Hugs,

Nora
Old September 26th 03, 06:00 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Cher wrote:

I know that some of you on here are a little bit worried that your knitting
isnt as good as you would like it to be, and some of you have emailed me
privately to say that you would like to take part in the 6x6 but feel that
you aren't up to standard yet, whilst you can knit plain, you've not yet got
the purl stitch perfected, and therefore feel that you aren't good
enough...

Let me just add that I, for one, consider this project as a friendship
project and the skill of the knitter (or crocheter) has absolutely
nothing to do with it.

Barbara
Old September 26th 03, 09:50 PM
Cher

You are soooooo right Noreen...

cheers.....Cher
"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
"Cher" wrote in message
[...]

Great suggestion(s), Cher, and may I add.... PLEASE don't worry about
*your* squares being up to some kind of *standard*... we were ALL

beginners
once....
AND!!!!!....
Who CARES??? We are all friends here, and we are sharing a part of
ourselves!!!
Okay?
Hugs,
Noreen
http://www.giantcompany.com

---

---

Old September 26th 03, 09:53 PM
Cher

PLUS they were unique!

cheers....Cher
"Laurie" wrote in message
om...
I don't know if knitters become this way because of the craft, or if
they are attracted to the craft because they are this kind of person
to begin with. But I have never met a more patient, kind, nurturing
set of people. Not just on this list but in knitting shops, knitting
sessions, classes etc.

Imperfect squares from beginners bring smiles as they remember
learning themselves. Don't be shy. Those wee little imperfections
that seem HUGE to you on your 6 x 6 square won't even show up on the
lovely throwghan or afghan when it is done. It just looks really
special.

I know it tickles the heck out of me. My favorite display at the
Portland Knit Out was the afghan done in squares by kids learning to
knit. They were so lopsided and loopy. But it just radiated good
karma or something because so many had worked so hard on something.

Laurie
Washougal, WA

---

Old September 28th 03, 04:30 PM
Lucille

Hi Mirjam,
You could cheat and make a 4" square and crochet around the edges to make it
6" Or maybe you could just practice for another 56 years to make it
perfect.
Lucille

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
With all y swatching and expertise of 56 years knitting [ yeah i
started as a babe !!] I had trouble with the size and made once a 7,5
inch and once a 9 inch ,,,,, jeeeeeeeky
mirjam

Old September 28th 03, 05:10 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Your words reminded me the words of Gaston bachelard , which i have
already posted but would love to repost
------------------
Any Hand
That works a material
loses
Litle by little
Its Greediness
Its Agressiveness

To gain
Little by little
Fibre after Fibre
The muscles of Generosity

Gaston Bachelard

Old September 28th 03, 06:27 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you lucille !!! Cheat Me ???? no if i do it i will do it for
creative reasons !!!!! mirjam

Old September 29th 03, 02:12 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message
With all y swatching and expertise of 56 years knitting [ yeah i
started as a babe !!] I had trouble with the size and made once a 7,5
inch and once a 9 inch ,,,,, jeeeeeeeky
mirjam

Mirjam,
Thanks for the laugh, it made my day!!!
HUGS,
Noreen
--
STRIP *tease* to email me.

---

Idea for creating a rubber stamp cleaning pad Jolly Green Stamper Rubberstamps 6 January 8th 05 02:12 AM
Idea Books on EBAY MBryt1 Rubberstamps 0 January 14th 04 05:55 AM
bright idea for framing Beverly B Needlework 8 November 25th 03 02:46 PM
newbie using fabric paint-need guidance Karen General Crafting 0 October 25th 03 10:02 PM
Close to My Heart- New idea book and catalog available Kim Rubberstamps 0 September 8th 03 05:28 PM