Silver sheet?

Old December 12th 04, 08:06 AM
Ted Frater

Lamedeer wrote:
Hello Peter,

I see that you are still running a good old boys club.

Art

((quoted text selectively snipped by moderator to shorten...))
Peter

Well. theres certainly a lot of old boys here Im one I know, but it
certainly isnt aclub as it doesnt have a membership list nor
restrictions bar common courtesy.
As to being good , theres a phenominal amount of expertise here and good
doesnt do it justice.
Last of all, Peter our hard working and very patient moderator doesnt
run anything except trying to keep the more illmannered contributors in
line.

Hes certainly taken me down a peg or two when ive been rather snappy
with some one that asked a, to us old sweats what amounts to a dam fool
question, which on account of their lazinessthey couldnt be bothered to
look first via Google.

Old December 12th 04, 11:07 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

X-No Archive

On , in ôõ Lamedeer wrote:

The expertise is obvious but so is the prejudice.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but frankly,

WHAT prejudice?

You imply that I somehow shape this group to my liking. That's just not so, no matter
how much you'd like to imply that it is. Frankly, I don't much care how the group
shapes up. My only concerns in how I moderate the group are in keeping out the spammed
off topic posts, commercial advertisements, and personal attacks that the group charter
charges me to do. I didn't write that charter, and at no time has any reader or user of
this newsgroup seriously suggested any changes to that charter.

About the only grey areas one might consider colored by my opinions, and therefor
potentially prejudicial, are the choices as to just when to step into an argument or
otherwise reject a posting due to one of the above reasons. And in those regards,
frankly, I VERY reserved, and stop very little indeed. Most users of the group who've
commented have suggested I should step in sooner. If allowing some posters more free
reign than I should have seems like prejudice, I'm sorry. It's not. Mostly it's that
I tend to be somewhat slow to react, only doing so when after several posts it seems
clear an issue is coming to a head.

You're idea that I'm somehow prejudicial suggests that I prefer or favor some certain
class or classes of posters or types of responses, thus somehow changing the nature of
the group to suit my own purposes.. If that's so, I'm at a loss to see just what
catagories of poster or posts, and what purposes you think I'm promoting or suppressing.
I try to bend over backwards to accomodate the questions of newcomers, while also
encouranging the views of experts. There are certain individuals who've now and then
incurred more of my attention than others, but that's their doing, not mine, and they
know it.

I really don't play politics or favorites with this group if i can help it. Anyone,
ncluding you, who wishes to contribute constructively to the group is welcomed. And
anyone who works too hard to make life difficult for the group eventually gets my
attention and if needed, I put on my moderator's hat. but so far as I know, that's
about it. It doesn't seem to me that trying occasionally to ask for a little civility
is prejudicial, especially since the group charter requires me to do so.

I'd really like to know just where in H*ll you got this bee in your bonnet, sir (or
madam, I really don't know which you are, actually, nor care either.) I really don't
think I've earned it. Sure, I make mistakes doing this. For one, sometimes I suspect
I'm too quick to contribute my own thoughts on a question, since I'm sometimes unsure
whether or not that tends to reduce other people's postings. But that's hardly
prejudice. Again, I ask you, just what are you saying is so obvious? How and what
would you suggest I change to improve the situation as you see it?

Peter
Old December 12th 04, 06:33 PM
Bob Miller

Lamedeer wrote:

big snip about complaint

Peter's reply
I'd really like to know just where in H*ll you got this bee in your bonnet, sir (or
madam, I really don't know which you are, actually, nor care either.) I really don't
think I've earned it.

No you have not earned it.
In fact I have learned new things and some different and/or better ways
to do old things, not only by reading the group but by following your
advise and using your hard earned knowledge and experience. THANK YOU

How and what
would you suggest I change to improve the situation as you see it?

The situation is only in his/her mind. Like you I do not care if the
whiner is male or female. Among the things that do count are knowledge,
talent, skill and results.

Keep up the good work Peter

Bob Miller
Old December 12th 04, 06:34 PM
Mark Johnson

I do a lot of repairs on American Indian jewelry and it is very common
to find the turquoise stones glued to old phonograph records to give
them more depth. I often use sawdust or build up the cab with slick
faced thin cardboard. I like using these because it gives some cushion
for soft material like turquoise.

If using a thin shell I would definitely want some cushioning behind it.

Mark

Peter W.. Rowe, wrote:

One friend of mine uses old credit cards as build up stock behind thinner cabs, or when
even thicker is needed, old CDs. She's got a stack of those CDs that AOL sends out all
the time trying to get people to sign up with them. they cut just fine with a jewelers
saw and coarser blade, while the credit cards work fine with just snips... A few
decades ogo, I recall seeing old vinyl phonograph records apparently used the same way
in American Indian jewelry (though sawdust seemed more common and traditional)

Peter

Old December 13th 04, 04:26 PM

Lamedeer wrote:
24 gauge or thicker. I'm thinking of strength since the shell is so

thin
and you don't want it to flex. Steel is out of the question. I'm
referring to silver.

Peter is correct about the vinyl records being use for backing in

Indian
jewelry but I never thought of CD material. I've never seen saw dust
used. Seems it would be more bother than it's worth. Perhaps it was
cardboard that deteriorated. I use Mil-Spec transformer fish paper

when
necessary.

If you find it necessary to grind or file the shell to fit be aware

that
the dust is a deadly poison.

*delurking*
Huh, I had't known that. Is it really toxic in itself se or just the
fact that the dust is damaging to the lungs if inhaled?

Morrigan

Old December 19th 04, 02:00 AM
Mr G H Ireland

Peter's reply
I'd really like to know just where in H*ll you got this bee in your

bonnet,snip

Keep up the good work, Peter
Bob Miller

Snap! I am no jeweller, just an interested lurker, but I agree! Keep up the
very good work, Peter!
-G.H.Ireland

--
igor
Acorn RISC OS4

Old December 22nd 04, 04:24 PM
vj

vj found this in rec.crafts.jewelry, from "Peter W.. Rowe,"
:

]So use a decent mask.

what IS a decent mask? i know it's probably been mentioned somewhere
before, but i seldom have time to search newsgroups.

right now, every mask i try to wear means i end up with foggy glasses
and can't see [in addition to being uncomfortable enough to be
completely distracting!] i seem to need to wear SOMETHING, because i
come home from the shop every night with my nose full of silver dust.
i wear a face shield at the torch/centrifuge, but i'd really like to
find something relatively effective/comfortable to wear at the bench.

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com