TIDBITS 08/16/09

Old August 14th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc
Benjamin Mark Benjamin Mark is offline
Banned

Default TIDBITS 08/16/09

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution and without change. Additionally, if you know
of anyone who you think would enjoy Tidbits, please make
them aware of us. URL (http://www.tyler-adam.com). We
encourage you to forward this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

First ... the Sturgeon dilemna. There are two views. I take
the conservative view: Swordfish and sturgeon both have
scales as young fish, but lose them later in life. The Conservative
CJLS permits them to be eaten. The criteria here folks is that
they do have scales when young and while they have these
scales they are kosher. And now ...

Who Is He

I found the perfect gift ... something for someone who has
everything. It is a 14 karat Gold Nécessaire de Toilette made
by Cartier, date not given but valued at 30,000 SF back in
1989. Now here's the thing of it ... one of the items in this
Nécessaire de Toilette harkens back to a name quite famous.
Let me tell you about the man. You tell me who he is ... if you
can ... heh heh.

He arrived in the United States from Nova Scotia in 1903. He
had a total of seventy-five dollars to his name. And he had a
bible. He also had an irresponsible nature and a daydreaming
mentality. Previous to having arrived in the USA he had been
fired from three jobs.

Ultimately ... in Boston ... he secured a position as a ticket
collector for the elevated railway. Alas ... he was summarily fired
when he decided one day ... on a whim ... to take the train for a
joyride and then crashed it.

He then took on a job as a stable hand and was kicked out for
neglecting the horses. Our friend had serious problems. Subsequent
to this he took a job as a messenger but--you guessed it--he kept on
losing the packages entrusted to his care. Ye gads man ... this guy
was
a disaster. So he did what any misfit in this world of ours with a
reasonable amount of common sense does ... he went into business
for himself. He found a product ... one of which you can see in
the Nécessaire de Toilette ... and started on his own in 1905.

He rented a room in Hartford, Connecticut and began peddling from
door to door. He labored late into the night. He sold during the day.
And to his amazement ... as well surely to the amazement of those
who knew him ... he found he ha a knack ... and he became a success.

By 1910 he had a staff of 25 men peddling his wares. As is the way
with all products ... technology began to infringe on his business and
the specter of losing all he had worked for loomed on the horizon.
He fought back. In the July of 1919 issue of House Furnishing Review
he took out an ad informing housewives of America that there was a
misconception that modern technology would ease their burdens. To
the contrary, he said. Ignore scientific advancement and return to
hard labor for this will keep you healthy and ward off the ills of the
indolent.

This versatility enabled our misfit to survive quite well till 1943
when he retired as president of his company with annual sales topping
10 million dollars. He had become part of the American scene. Who was
he ... this guy who couldn't hold a job to save his life. Let me know
what you think.

The Nécessaire de Toilette had a comb, a shoehorn, two perfume
bottles, a powder box, two brushes, a mirror, a nailpolisher, and a
boot-hook.

For those of you who are new to this thing called Tidbits...may I
direct you to my home page at http://www.tyler-adam.com where you will
scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area that says
Current Tidbits ... and you will see represented on our pages an image
of a Nécessaire de Toilette in 14 karat gold that holds within its
collection an item akin to that which was sold by our hero.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our
home page. All rights reserved.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
TIDBITS 07/17/05 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 July 17th 05 12:07 PM
TIDBITS 07/17/05 Benjamin Mark Marketplace 0 July 17th 05 12:07 PM
TIDBITS 07/17/05 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 July 17th 05 12:06 PM
TIDBITS 06/19/05 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 June 19th 05 02:03 AM
TIDBITS 05/29/05 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 May 31st 05 02:23 AM