AD: Ebay and Justbeads auctions

Old December 4th 04, 04:27 AM
Cheryl

I wish more people with About Me pages would give a link to their own
website.

technically - ebay "outlawed" links to any website if you are SELLING the same
type of goods on your webisite.
We all - over the early years -- used eBay as a way to "introduce ourselves to
the world" -- and had links in our auctions to our pages -
then eBay said "NO NO - " can't do that... (some people still slip it by today
-but it is FORBIDDEN) --
they said - put it on yoru "about me" page -- and then last year they said "NO
NO " to that use too....
It is one, of many, reasons I stopped selling on ebay some time ago - I could
see they were going to start toughening up - they want NO COMPETITION to the
goods as sold on eBay - because if you sell if from YOUR website - they don't
get a cut.... of course.

They haven't been 100 percent efficient at finding and terminating all of those
pages -- but they are working on it.

part of their policy
"eBay allows sellers to place the following types of links in your item's
description (see the Links Frequently Asked Questions for the definition of a
link):

One link to a page that further describes the item being sold in that listing
One link to your email address that opens an email client for potential buyers
to ask questions about the item in that listing
Links to photos of the item for sale
Links to your eBay (including your eBay Store) or Half.com listings
Links to your About Me page (in addition to the About Me icon already provided
by eBay)
Links that provide credits to third parties
One link to your listing terms and conditions (providing that the most relevant
information is within the listing itself and that this page does not include
any links off of eBay)
If you have a logo for any of these links, it may be no greater than 88x33
pixels and it may not flash or otherwise move. (The exception to this guideline
is links to your eBay or Half.com listings).

Linking to Web sites that offer to trade, sell, or purchase goods or services,
or including links for any purpose other than those listed above is not
allowed. Prohibited links include, but are not limited to:

Links to Web pages that offer to trade, sell or purchase goods or services
outside of eBay. This applies whether it is a static URL or an active link ..."

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old December 4th 04, 06:02 AM
Kandice Seeber

I never heard that new rule, and they've never enforced anything like that
with me at least. I have my website link on my About Me page. I think the
rules are referring to listing descriptions.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

[...]

..."

Old December 4th 04, 04:33 PM
Kalera Stratton

My About Me page is fairly new, and at the time I put it up it did say
quite clearly in the rules that I am allowed to link to my website from
my About Me page. Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother having one if I
couldn't.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old December 4th 04, 06:12 PM
Su/Cutworks

Kalera wrote:

My About Me page is fairly new, and at the time I put it up it did say
quite clearly in the rules that I am allowed to link to my website from
my About Me page. Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother having one if I
couldn't.

When I did Mike's page, that's what the links thingy suggested, a link to
the website of the person in question.

So I did. And do.

-Su

--
Tillerman eBay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/thetillermanbeads
Tillerman website: http://www.tillerman.co.uk

Old December 4th 04, 10:39 PM
Cheryl

My About Me page is fairly new, and at the time I put it up it did say
quite clearly in the rules that I am allowed to link to my website from
my About Me page. Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother having one if I
couldn't.

yes - the rules say you CAN LINK TO your own webpage -- but ONLY IF you do not
sell goods that are the same or simliar to those you sell on ebay...
ie. == you could have a webpage that was "show and tell" about how you make the
beads, and a "gallery" of past items

but read the language again - it forbids linking to a website where
" Linking to Web sites that offer to trade, sell, or purchase goods or
services, or including links for any purpose other than those listed above is
not allowed. Prohibited links include, but are not limited to:

Links to Web pages that offer to trade, sell or purchase goods or services
outside of eBay. This applies whether it is a static URL or an active link

don't believe me?? Read the ebay page yourself...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-links.html

link policies apply to both the LISTING and your ABOUT ME PAGE

Old December 4th 04, 10:55 PM
Christina Peterson

I look at About Me pages to verify that the seller is a self representing
artist, and hopefully to find a link which gives even better verification.
I know the site will have higher prices, and if I want bargain prices I
still have to do eBay.

Tina

Old December 5th 04, 01:10 AM
Kandice Seeber

That rule refers to auction listings, not the About Me page.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

My About Me page is fairly new, and at the time I put it up it did say
quite clearly in the rules that I am allowed to link to my website from
my About Me page. Q

to a PAGE - but not one with any sort of SALES -- that's WHY I QUIT
SELLING
ON EBAY!
EBAY POLICY:
"Prohibited links include, but are not limited to:

Links to Web pages that offer to trade, sell or purchase goods or services
outside of eBay. This applies whether it is a static URL or an active link

Links to Web sites or pages offering merchandise not permitted on eBay "

Old December 5th 04, 01:15 AM
Kandice Seeber

Actually, this is from the About Me Page Guidelines on ebay:

"The eBay About Me page may be used to describe the seller's business, and
may contain Web addresses or links to the seller's individual Web site. It
may not specifically promote off eBay sales or sales of items prohibited on
eBay, nor may it contain links to commercial Web sites where goods from
multiple sellers are aggregated by a common search engine."

It's ambiguous at best, but I take the "it" to mean the About Me page, not
the person's website being linked.

Here's the link:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...g-aboutme.html

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old December 5th 04, 02:29 AM
Karen_AZ

Links to Web pages that offer to trade, sell or purchase goods or services
outside of eBay. This applies whether it is a static URL or an active link

Links to Web sites or pages offering merchandise not permitted on eBay "

I asked someone at Ebay once about this. The "fine print" is that they
rarely follow a link beyond the homepage. So, my homepage has nothing for
sale on it. Just chatty stuff. (Actually, at the moment I'm not selling
anything on my website. Gods willing that'll change in January.) They see
nothing for sale immediately, no harm, no foul. Life goes on. G

KarenK

Old December 5th 04, 02:56 AM
Christina Peterson

But Cheryl, this is the first thing the say regarding Links from About Me
page, on their Links Policy page.

"Links from your About Me Page

You may link to your own Web store or Web site. However, you may not
directly offer any non-eBay merchandise on the About Me page itself."

And also

"On your About Me page, you may link to your own Web site or
individual Internet store where you are offering to trade, sell or purchase
your goods or services. However, you may not link to any page within online
trading sites that offer goods from multiple sellers either in a fixed price
or auction format."

Tina

"Cheryl" wrote in message

[...]

Attached Images