Good Sunday morning to all and a hug for Aud

Old April 24th 05, 06:05 PM
Els van Dam

Default Good Sunday morning to all and a hug for Aud

Goodmorning everyone, it is a great Sunday morning I can hear the
"Chicago, Chicago" call from the California quails outside in the garden.
Humming birds are doing their mating dance in the sky and the swallows are
plentyful, gliding and diving. I do think that a couple of them are
building a nest under our back deck. Every time I hang out my washing
they are dive bombing me. I have thrown my wash in the dryer for obvious
reasons....LOL

Aud a special hug for you today, hope you are well and feeling much better
after your operation.

I finally have started to weave my lovely silk/yalk and silk camel scarf.
In order to do so, I had to re-tie my countermarch loom. It is a great
weaving tool, but a big monster of a loom to tie-up. Otto and I made many
changes so I do not need to sit doubled up under it for so long, and the
whole process is easier to do and to adjust. My knees, shoulders and hips
are protesting. It is so great to start to weave though, and the pattern,
a pointed twill with variations, falls neatly into place.

Back to the weaving

Have a great day with lovely weather, hope you have sun in NFL Katherine

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old April 24th 05, 06:49 PM
JCT

We have a beautiful morning here today as well.
I want to get out in the yard a bit as it is just too nice to stay
inside today.
I seem to have lots of projects started and none finished. I am
getting pretty close on one sweater. It is the one that I found I
needed more yarn to finish. I have the yarn now and am near the end of
the two sleeves. Then it will just be sewing it together. I am also
done with embroidery on one of the felted slippers (the pattern from
Aud), so those should get finished today. I haven't started the ones
for DH yet.

I am making a sweater for a baby that will be coming from China soon.
Her prospective adoptive parents are in our church. They have been told
to expect to go within the next 4 to 6 weeks to pick up their new
daughter. I am making a 12 month size sweater using a ribbon yarn and
the free pattern from Yarn Forward.
http://www.yarnfwd.com/hailey.html
It is going fast, so I hope to have it ready before the little girl
arrives.

My NYCO is waiting my decision on whether to frog and fix or live with
a mistake and the sweater for DH tests my patience being black cotton
and a boring pattern. It is what he wanted but I can't stand working
on it for too long at a time.

I am trying to finish some of this off before starting on the projects
that are waiting in the craft room. (Mostly color work on sweaters in
kids sizes - fairly fast and fun)

Old April 24th 05, 07:26 PM
bungadora

It's nearly noon here, and I am taking a rest from digging out a new
bed in the garden. Clay, rocks and more rocks. Time for lunch.

I've started to think about Xmas,. and to look around for gifts for all
my various neices and nephews. Somehow the Knitter's shawl book came
out, and I was thinking of making a small shoulder shawl for the oldest
girl (16). It almost takes as much yarn as an adult sweater though, and
do teenagers wear shawls? Knitting for small children is a much safer
proposition than knitting for teenagers.

Dora

Old April 24th 05, 08:58 PM

Hi Everyone,

It started out as a gloomy day, but the sun has managed to come out
while we were at brunch. It's still cool for this time of year here in
upstate NY, but at least we didn't get the snow that some places have.

I've started a continuous granny square afghan that I am calling ugly
and my DH agrees. I'm using up all the small balls of yarn that just
digging into the knitting basket and pulling out a color and putting it
on even if it doesn't match. It will be instead of a coat of many
colors, an afghan of many colors. LOL

Hugs,

Nora

Old April 24th 05, 09:07 PM
JCT

You are right about knitting for teens. I did manage to make something
last year that my teen granddaughter wears. It was a crocheted poncho
- not too long - which I have seen her wear normally and also around
her waist (over jeans) for some reason that wasn't apparent to me. She
likes gloves better than mittens and very long scarves. I have made her
a couple of sweaters - sort of sweatshirt like sweaters and hoodies -
but not until she ok'd the pattern.

My youngest son's girlfriend, who is twenty-something rather than a
teen, seemed to like a scarf I made for her and also a poncho.

I don't know about shawls - I think I would either find a teen or look
to see what they are wearing. They tend to wear short tank tops that
barely meet their jeans (or don't). One of those might be good if you
know the size. They tend to be into form fitting on the tanks.

It is SO much easier to please my 3 and 10 year old DGDs!

Old April 24th 05, 09:26 PM
Aud

"Els van Dam" skrev i melding
Aud a special hug for you today, hope you are well and feeling much
better
after your operation.

Thank you, Els; It is great to be back!

I finally have started to weave my lovely silk/yalk and silk camel
scarf.
In order to do so, I had to re-tie my countermarch loom. It is a
great
weaving tool, but a big monster of a loom to tie-up. Otto and I made
many
changes so I do not need to sit doubled up under it for so long, and
the
whole process is easier to do and to adjust. My knees, shoulders and
hips
are protesting. It is so great to start to weave though, and the
pattern,
a pointed twill with variations, falls neatly into place.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome

I can feel it your back and your knees,.
....and in addition I feel it in my stitches on my stomack!!LOL!!!

Yes, Counter march is good!
How many "shafts" do you use to this project?
I think that you don't have a very broad warp, but if the threads are
thin,
there still may be enough of them to tie!!
GOOD LUCK!
It is a wonderful feeling when you at last are done with all the
"threads and ties"...
And you can sit in it and see if everything works!
And WHEN it works... than it is just "a feast"!
AUD ;-))

Old April 24th 05, 10:09 PM
norma woods

It's 4:51pm here. Last night my OES group had our birthday banquet and what
a blast. Some of the gals put on the entertainment. Do you remember me
mentioning making the Andrews Sisters hats? Well, they wore them last night,
and they looked great. I happened to have my dad's air force pin and I did a
rubbing of it onto the bottom of a throwaway pie plate and cut it out and
put it on each of the hats. They looked quite real from a distance. When
the girls came into the room, they all had canes and really hobbled. I guess
they are getting to be quite an age now. LOL

--
Star love,
Norma

Old April 25th 05, 12:27 AM
Katherine

norma woods wrote:
It's 4:51pm here. Last night my OES group had our birthday banquet
and what a blast. Some of the gals put on the entertainment. Do you
remember me mentioning making the Andrews Sisters hats? Well, they
wore them last night, and they looked great. I happened to have my
dad's air force pin and I did a rubbing of it onto the bottom of a
throwaway pie plate and cut it out and put it on each of the hats.
They looked quite real from a distance. When the girls came into the
room, they all had canes and really hobbled. I guess they are getting
to be quite an age now. LOL

Oh, Norma, I'll bet that was fun!

Hugs,
Katherine