OT OT - he's got a "real" cast

Old July 29th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

Default OT OT - he's got a "real" cast

"Bruce" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/28/07 11:18 AM, in article ,
"Bruce" wrote:
You get fashionable casts now? Suddenly I feel really old...

Oh the choices were amazing. White, flesh, bright pink, neon yellow,
bright
blue, black, glow in the dark.
And google tells there are more
http://suppliescentral.net/cast_kit.html

I suspect that in the UK you will get the practical, plain, white (cheap!)
cast if you go NHS and the multi-coloured versions will only be available
to those who go private.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

No - the choices are all on the NHS. They`re not plaster any more - I`m
pretty sure it`s fibtre-glass. Nice and light, anyway.

Pat

Old July 29th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Pat P wrote:
No - the choices are all on the NHS. They`re not plaster any more - I`m
pretty sure it`s fibtre-glass. Nice and light, anyway.

I must confess that I am out of touch as the last time I had a plaster
cast was about 50 years ago when I broke my arm.
Old July 29th 07, 07:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queen City x-stitcher

Bruce wrote:
Pat P wrote:
No - the choices are all on the NHS. They`re not plaster any more -
I`m pretty sure it`s fibtre-glass. Nice and light, anyway.

I must confess that I am out of touch as the last time I had a plaster
cast was about 50 years ago when I broke my arm.

That sounds like me. Last cast I had was 23 years ago. I slipped in
oatmeal that DD spilled. I slid across the kitchen and put my foot
through a cabinet door. The navy medic put a "jones' cast on (newest in
soft splints) and told me to stay off my feet. I had 3 kids under age 6.
I put up my foot and DD wanted to play horsey. I went back to the clinic
and said "Cast it and put a walker on it!!!!"

Bobbie V.
Old July 29th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Bruce" wrote in message
Pat P wrote:
No - the choices are all on the NHS. They`re not plaster any more - I`m
pretty sure it`s fibtre-glass. Nice and light, anyway.

I must confess that I am out of touch as the last time I had a plaster
cast was about 50 years ago when I broke my arm.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont
(Remove teeth to reply)

Let`s hope you don`t update yourself the hard way, VBruce! ;-)

Pat

Old July 30th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/29/07 5:19 PM, in article ,
"Pat P" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Pat P wrote:
No - the choices are all on the NHS. They`re not plaster any more - I`m
pretty sure it`s fibtre-glass. Nice and light, anyway.

I must confess that I am out of touch as the last time I had a plaster
cast was about 50 years ago when I broke my arm.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont
(Remove teeth to reply)

Let`s hope you don`t update yourself the hard way, VBruce! ;-)

Pat

If nothing else, I wouldn't wish that on your dear wife...

Cheryl

Old July 30th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/28/07 11:18 AM, "Bruce" wrote:

thistletoes wrote:
On Jul 27, 5:36 pm, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Still no weight, but DS has a cast now (in black) and says he's much more
comfortable. He's also allowed to go back to weight training - upper body
only.

Cheryl

That is super news. And the black cast will hide dirt.
Deb

You get fashionable casts now? Suddenly I feel really old...

For years now - even in the UK! The plaster comes in a bunch of colors -
generally seen for pediatric uses. My last one - the doc made me use the
white - there was some reason - having to do with how long the cast would be
on or something.

ellice

Old July 30th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/29/07 2:00 PM, "Pat P" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/28/07 11:18 AM, in article ,
"Bruce" wrote:
You get fashionable casts now? Suddenly I feel really old...
Oh the choices were amazing. White, flesh, bright pink, neon yellow,
bright
blue, black, glow in the dark.
And google tells there are more
http://suppliescentral.net/cast_kit.html

I suspect that in the UK you will get the practical, plain, white (cheap!)
cast if you go NHS and the multi-coloured versions will only be available
to those who go private.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont
(Remove teeth to reply)

No - the choices are all on the NHS. They`re not plaster any more - I`m
pretty sure it`s fibtre-glass. Nice and light, anyway.

Pat

They've been using fibreglass for about 20 years now. It's water resistant
(not proof) and much lighter than the plaster, as well as tougher, less
brittle. If it gets damp, you can dry with a blow dryer (not if it's soaked
through). When I had my tendon reconstruction done the first time, the
original cast was a humongous 60# plaster thing - extremely awkward. But,
for the first 10 days that was what the doc wanted. Then they changed it to
a fibreglass one, which was much lighter, and only to the knee. IIRC, did
the same thing when that was re-done a few years ago. The plaster ones were
always chipping up. Didn't help that when I had my achilles tendon
lengthened at age 10 I also would go out and play kickball with the cast -
IIRC when DM caught me she took away about a month of riding lessons....

I still remember when I broke both my arms (serially, not concurrently) at
age 11 - my brother pushed me in the pool - towards the shallow end. I was
so busy holding the cast up over my head (not easy, as it went to my
shoulder, with bend at elbow) that I ended up breaking 3 toes. Boy, was he
in trouble. Plus the plaster cast got splashed, and we had to go meet the
doc at the ER, to replace it, and tape my poor toes.

In the ER we also have some air-activated wraps. For some simple fratures
and for sprains - we wrap with understuff, then wrap what looks like an ace
bandage but is really air-activated casting resin bandage - form it - then
cover with more ace bandages. In a few minutes it's hard. Voila. What
fun. I love doing that -the bandages are in lightprotected, sealed mylar
bags. Wonders of modern science.

Ellice

Old July 30th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

ellice wrote:

I still remember when I broke both my arms (serially, not concurrently)

You're my former neighbor?! Actually, she broke three arms serially.
With the second, the cast had been off under an hour, and back to the
doctor to get the other arm casted again.

If you'd have been placing bets, you would've guessed me for the one
who'd have casts all the time; I was the daredevil. She broke arms
losing her balance on the lawn, I got away with two broken fingers,
neither of them caused by daredevil activity.

Then as an adult I fractured three vertebrae doing nothing more daring
than walking to a library meeting. ???

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 7/10/07 -- Dance of the Roses

WIP: The Teacher, Bethany Angel, Pooh & Crew,
Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old July 30th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"ellice" wrote in message
On 7/29/07 2:00 PM, "Pat P" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/28/07 11:18 AM, in article
,
"Bruce" wrote:
[...]

That sounds like the stuff I had and thought was probably fibreglass!

Pat

Old July 30th 07, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 7/30/07 2:57 PM, "Karen C - California" wrote:

ellice wrote:

I still remember when I broke both my arms (serially, not concurrently)

You're my former neighbor?! Actually, she broke three arms serially.
With the second, the cast had been off under an hour, and back to the
doctor to get the other arm casted again.

Not so great. I actually broke the 2nd one the weekend after getting out of
the final splint post cast for the 1st one. Riding accident.

If you'd have been placing bets, you would've guessed me for the one
who'd have casts all the time; I was the daredevil. She broke arms
losing her balance on the lawn, I got away with two broken fingers,
neither of them caused by daredevil activity.

I did lots of stuff, and honestly no serious injuries - beyond the torn
ligaments, etc. but, when I was playing ball in college - D1 - can be
brutal, I did have to play quite taped up. Prior to the season starting, I
actually tore some ligaments in my bad leg while rock climbing/hiking/ on
some Outward Bound weekend of whitewater, etc. When I came home for winter
break, I was on crutches. DM & DD took me right to the orthopedist. I
think that during visit 2 she tried to convince him to tell me that I should
stop doing all these things (not happy about the Outward Bound stuff). But,
OTOH, as long as the coach wasn't too mad.... My then orthopedist was the
team doc for the Dolphins - so he wasn't going to tell a jock to quit - even
a girl. Mom not happy. The best part of the injury/crutches thing -
security would give me a ride to classes instead of the long, long walk over
hill and dale from where the girls housing was then.

Then as an adult I fractured three vertebrae doing nothing more daring
than walking to a library meeting. ???

I know people that have severely broken their ankles stepping off a curb.
Weird stuff happens.

ellice