Handy hints

Old July 28th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

Default Handy hints

"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote in message
. ..

"lucretia borgia" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:57:07 -0400, "Magic Mood Jeep"
wrote:
X-No-Archive Yes

Not so in our house.

Or these 'Merikan mice are bordering on retarded...

We have *12* cats and we *still* get mice! Occasionally I will find one
(or
a part of one - ick) in the middle of the living room floor. One had
been
seriously licked by the dog (and was getting the stare-of-death from 7
cats), but still alive. That one (drenched in doggie-drool) was taken
outside, and apparently recovered! I kept my eye on it for a while, and
after about an hour, it came out of it's drool-induced "coma" and toddled
off. It was summer, so the drool dried fairly quickly!

I heard the results of a study that showed that not all cats are
mousers. Mousers have a genetic marker that makes them as they are.
My old cat was a terriffic mouser and he ate well, so even making the
cat hungry will not make it hunt mice unless it has the marker. The
study showed some cats would starve while mice ran around them.

The same goes for dogs. My friend's dog, part Bichon and part Terrier, is
constantly bringing her gifts of dead lizards and flying after squirrels
and other critters. My Puff, a Maltese, has had lizards walk across his
feet and he just backs up as if to say, what??? As to squirrels and mice,
he just looks at them with disdain and/or ignores them completely.

We know people like that! LOL!

Pat

Old July 29th 07, 02:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
And we swore that cat brought the live mice/voles/moles just for the
pleasure of hunting in the warm house....

And people use the phrase "dumb animals" !
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 29th 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Bruce wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
And we swore that cat brought the live mice/voles/moles just for the
pleasure of hunting in the warm house....

And people use the phrase "dumb animals" !

Well, they -are-! After all, they can't speak.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Oriental Butterfly, Floral Sampler, Carousel (TW)
Old July 29th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
Bruce wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
And we swore that cat brought the live mice/voles/moles just for the
pleasure of hunting in the warm house....

And people use the phrase "dumb animals" !

Well, they -are-! After all, they can't speak.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Oriental Butterfly, Floral Sampler, Carousel (TW)
Most recently Finished: Insect Sampler, TicTacToe Sampler

They don't have to speak. My dog can get nearly anything he wants by just
looking at me beseechingly and pointing in the right direction. Or, if it's
important enough and I'm ignoring the look, a little lick on the cheek and
I'm toast.

Lucille

Old July 29th 07, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Jenn Ridley wrote:

Bruce wrote:

And people use the phrase "dumb animals" !

Well, they -are-! After all, they can't speak.

Dear Aunt Jenn,

You haven't been around me, have you? I speak quite well and
constantly. I love to talk on the phone. And if people don't
understand, I have other ways of getting my point across ... I hung up
on Uncle Brian three times the other day because he went to Fisherman's
Wharf and didn't bring me any fish. That'll teach him!

Love, Miss Kitty
Queen of all she surveys
Old July 30th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Bruce wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
And we swore that cat brought the live mice/voles/moles just for the
pleasure of hunting in the warm house....

And people use the phrase "dumb animals" !

Well, they -are-! After all, they can't speak.

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Oriental Butterfly, Floral Sampler, Carousel (TW)
Most recently Finished: Insect Sampler, TicTacToe Sampler

They don't have to speak. My dog can get nearly anything he wants by just
looking at me beseechingly and pointing in the right direction. Or, if it's
important enough and I'm ignoring the look, a little lick on the cheek and
I'm toast.

Lucille

Ours definitely has language skills - he may get a bit confused when we send
him for a specifically named object, and bring something similar - but if we
repeat it - he'll find the write thing. And he whines really, really well.
Plus, he actually gives "huggies" - stands up on his hind legs and puts his
front legs on the shoulders, leans in, and whuffles. Every so often when
we've left him alone all day, and come home, he'll be mooning around, and
come up, smiling, then stand up and put the paws on you - if you ask "want a
hug?" or "huggies" he goes for it. Then he's happy.

It's the ear snuffling to check scent that has us a bit intriqued.

ellice

Old July 30th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Bruce wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

Puff give hugs too. Of course, being about 10" at the shoulder, he can't
possibly reach shoulders if a person is standing, but he climbs up on a lap
and then does the hugs and kisses bit.

I've even seen him move his mouth as if he wants to say a word, especially
when he's really anxious to make me go somewhere or do something. I really
believe that if they had the right kind of vocal cords animals would
definitely be able to speak. I read somewhere that most adult dogs have the
vocabulary of a three year old.

Old July 31st 07, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Bruce wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

Too cute. I totally agree with you. Puckster definitely makes some noises
that are not "dog" typical language - more guttural. You can seem him
working on this, and making these non-bark,non-whine or whimper noises with
some variation - and looking at us "Don't you understand?" . No doubt all
the different doggie sounds have meanings - certainly we can tell the "let
me out" from "want to play" from "who's there" and "YIPPEE - you're home"
sounds. Puckster seems to have a better vocab than some of my other dogs -
it's at least close to 200 words and gestures. 3 year old is likely about
right. Who knows.

I think we as a whole often underestimate animals - or non-lovers of animals
can often tend to discount their communication & emotional capacity. I know
that the horses in the stable certainly communicated with each other, and
had different sounds and gestures for their people. Watching the dogs and
horses "talking" - that was interesting.

Ellice

Handy Hints Sally Swindells Quilting 10 June 26th 07 05:04 PM
OT Handy Information [email protected] Needlework 0 August 28th 06 12:32 PM
When quilting comes in handy. Lina Quilting 18 June 28th 04 02:12 AM
Here's a handy little item: Moonraker Glass 0 April 15th 04 01:04 AM
SRE hints/tricks?? Addie Needlework 14 March 16th 04 11:03 PM