Chihuly at the de Yound

Old March 30th 11, 11:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Chihuly at the de Yound

On 3/29/11 6:28 PM, wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
On 3/28/11 2:44 AM, Cathy from KY in CA wrote:
I had said I would post some pics of Chihuly at the de Young museum in
San Francisco.
The pics don't do it justice....it was beyond gorgeous!! Here's the
link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kytravelrn

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

very nice

some day, there will a show of his works I can get to!

Boston Museum of Fine Arts
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass
April 10, 2011 - August 7, 2011

ok - you want to join us when we go George?

Old March 30th 11, 11:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/30/11 6:07 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 20:51:39 -0700 (PDT), Cathy from KY in CA
wrote:

Boston Museum of Fine Arts
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass
April 10, 2011 - August 7, 2011

When we went they have a movie that is about an hour or so long for
you to go watch after
you go thru the exhibit. It was very crowded so we decided to watch
the film first. We were
glad we did because it shows him working and making all his pieces.
Each collection has a theme
and he would tell you about each theme and what inspired him to make
it.

We found it more interesting as we went thru, to know all this as we
looked at each collection.

Each room was just more amazing than the last! There are HUGE pieces
that hang from the ceiling. In the
last room, the exhibit is the length of a huge room and pieces in it
are about 15 feet tall!!

Go early and plan for the whole day......we went through all the rooms
several times...and each time, we would
see things we had missed before.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

I googled him and found his own site very interesting.

http://www.chihuly.com

Thanks for bringing him to my attention - I was probably lacking that
I didn't know about him before .

there is something about him that compels - both himself and his works.
Old March 30th 11, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

wrote:

[...]

This past year we saw a documentary about the making of some huge museum
installation by Chihuly . I believe we saw it on OVATION - the arts
network, but also there is a show that cycles around on the PBS network.
For those interested, I got a DVD set from the library - IIRC it was called
"365 Chihuly" . He's an amazing person, and has quite a group of artists
that work with him.

One year on Top Chef they had a challenge to do with dishes inspired by
artists exhibits - and one of them had the Chihuly exhibit. I think it
must've been the Vegas season, and this woman tried to say she'd been
inspired by a large Chihuly sculpture in one of the hotels. The judges
didn't think she did too well - but the Chihuly piece shown was fabulous.

Ellice

Old March 30th 11, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

On Mar 29, 7:35*am, wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 05:11:56 -0700 (PDT), Cathy from KY in CA

Very interesting, love the candles in the logs.

The candles in the logs were about 10 feet tall.

I had no idea that was the size !

Me, either! I was thinking the logs were maybe a foot long or so!
Guess it's not something I could put in my living room! lol

Joan
Old March 30th 11, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/30/11 9:13 AM, Ellice K. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

there are couple of shows on HD Theater or the ilk - one on an
installation at Kew, one in Venice and can not recall if there were more.

Old March 30th 11, 09:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

On Mar 30, 8:26*am, "Joan E." wrote:
On Mar 29, 7:35*am, wrote:

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 05:11:56 -0700 (PDT), Cathy from KY in CA

Very interesting, love the candles in the logs.

The candles in the logs were about 10 feet tall.

I had no idea that was the size !

Me, either! *I was thinking the logs were maybe a foot long or so!
Guess it's not something I could put in my living room! lol

Joan

LOL.....filled a large room.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old March 31st 11, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Depends on when you go and if we can make it. We spend a lot of time in
Maine over the summer. We will go, just not sure when. We saw his work t`he
last time we went to Pittsburgh to visit my brother at CMU. His work is
fascinating. My brother has one of his pieces.

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 3/29/11 6:28 PM, wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
On 3/28/11 2:44 AM, Cathy from KY in CA wrote:
I had said I would post some pics of Chihuly at the de Young museum
in San Francisco.
The pics don't do it justice....it was beyond gorgeous!! Here's the
link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kytravelrn

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

very nice

some day, there will a show of his works I can get to!

Boston Museum of Fine Arts
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass
April 10, 2011 - August 7, 2011

ok - you want to join us when we go George?

There is no such thing as being beneath one's dignity to put in an honest
day's work. Work *is* what gives us our dignity, as well as our sense of
self-worth. "Mishna 2(a)"
Old April 1st 11, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Default Glass Art, Chihuly at the de Yound

On 3/31/2011 5:39 PM, wrote:
Depends on when you go and if we can make it. We spend a lot of time in
Maine over the summer. We will go, just not sure when. We saw his work t`he
last time we went to Pittsburgh to visit my brother at CMU. His work is
fascinating. My brother has one of his pieces.

Cheryl wrote:
On 3/29/11 6:28 PM,
wrote:
Cheryl wrote:
On 3/28/11 2:44 AM, Cathy from KY in CA wrote:
I had said I would post some pics of Chihuly at the de Young museum
in San Francisco.
The pics don't do it justice....it was beyond gorgeous!! Here's the
link:

http://community.webshots.com/user/kytravelrn

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

very nice

some day, there will a show of his works I can get to!

Boston Museum of Fine Arts
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass
April 10, 2011 - August 7, 2011

ok - you want to join us when we go George?

I was not familiar with him, and his work.

I love glass art..and am building a small collection of Josh Simpson's
work. They aren't cheap...but what things worth looking at, and losing
yourself in, are? His is blown art, and no piece is identical.
Absolutely love them He is from Mass...and at this time his wife is up
in the sky at the S;pace Station.(Cady Coleman)

From earth to sky..........what a range of interests.

Gill
Old April 1st 11, 09:27 AM
ashu.ashu093 ashu.ashu093 is offline
Junior Member

I am a very avid fan of Chihuly's work. I have a skylight and would like to install about 6 or 7 medium to large
Old April 2nd 11, 01:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 3/31/11 5:39 PM, in article ,
" wrote:

Depends on when you go and if we can make it. We spend a lot of time in
Maine over the summer. We will go, just not sure when. We saw his work t`he
last time we went to Pittsburgh to visit my brother at CMU. His work is
fascinating. My brother has one of his pieces.

That's pretty cool, having a Chihuly piece. When I was at CMU the path from
my office thru to the student union was thru the basement of the building
which has the Chem Eng/Chem upstairs, and the Materials Science &
Glass/Ceramic studios downstairs. Walked thru those glass labs a lot, and
was constantly fascinated with the work done there by the glass artists.

DH is playing in a hockey tourney in Pgh in mid-May. I'm slightly tempted
to go along...and visit Pgh. OTOH, it's a tournament of refs from all over,
and a weekend with the boys drinking beer may be too much for me ...at least
at this particular time.

Ellice

Chihuly at Kew Su/Cutworks Beads 30 May 24th 05 12:20 AM
Chihuly at Kew Gardens Su/Cutworks Glass 1 May 20th 05 02:59 PM
Chihuly Exhibit in Atlanta Dave Mundt Glass 1 November 14th 04 04:48 PM
AD- NEW Lampwork - including Chihuly exhibit inspirations! Cheryl Beads 8 November 12th 03 01:17 AM