New idea for RCB need input:)

Old May 29th 04, 01:23 PM
Candace

Default New idea for RCB need input:)

I'm tossing around an idea for all of us who are financially strapped, but
still need (yes, I know--beads are not a want) beads. Please keep in
mind--I've not gotten as far as details yet, and I'm not even sure if/how this
could work. I just want to throw it out here and see what bounces back.

Here's my idea: I figure a lot of people have bought beads that they aren't
going to use, for whatever reason. Not the right shape, size, color, or too
many, or ugly (to you) or imperfect, or whatever it may be--perhaps you have
some lying around, collecting dust. (Yes, I know--one can never have enough,
and there's no such thing as too many) I'm talking about all kinds of beads,
from tiny little mismatched seed beads to great honkin' wooden atrocities.
Everyone has different tastes. Everything from WalMart specials to things that
you found in a caravan sale in the 60's. Whatever you're holding onto,
thinking that "someday....."
Why don't we form a collection of small ads for these beads, available only to
RCB? Perhaps a yahoo group could be started, or Beaders' Haven could be
brought back to life for this purpose? All ads would offer small amounts of
"leftovers" at discounted prices to RCBer's who can't afford retail, but really
need the beads. I mean, are you really worried about getting your money back
on beads you bought 15 years ago? Why not see if someone else can use those
25, 50, or even 100 beads you stuck in the back of your drawer and forgot
about?

As I said, nothing is worked out on this, I just want some feedback on the
idea, and to see how many of us would like to see something of this sort. If
it does come to fruition, I'd be happy to take charge of the running of it.
Lord knows I have the time!!!

You can drop me an e-mail about it, or post here, and when I get home tonight
from the 100 Mile yard sale, I'll see what everyone has to say so far
TIA!!

~Candace~

Old May 29th 04, 06:19 PM
Kandice Seeber

Sure - that sounds cool. I've got some sitting around that I am sure I will
never use.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old May 29th 04, 06:48 PM
Johanna Koski

I mean, are you really worried about getting your money back
on beads you bought 15 years ago?

This sounds like an idea to me Allthou I haven't probably got
beads from 15 years ago, but I can find something that I really
don't use. Maybe someone could use them.

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski
Finland, Europe
Old May 30th 04, 03:38 AM
Marisa2

Good idea. I was thinking of going through stuff and posting on eBay
but didn't feel like the hassel and the chance it wouldn't sell there
anyhow.. this sounds like a good idea!

Hopefully I could also put up stuff that isn't good enough for me
(because RCB has taught me snobbery against base metails, silver-plated
earrings, plastic beads, indian beads, etc etc... )? Maybe someone
could pick them up for their kids or something.

marisa2

Old May 30th 04, 04:46 PM
lgreene

Another thing to think about...just an idea...i'm still on mountain time so
i'm not totally coherent, but....

maybe we could do a bead box? A list of rcbers could indicate that they
want to participate and send beads to a central person. In each package of
beads would be the dollar amount they are worth...for instance, I might send
a pack of swarovskis that I would normally offer on ebay or somehwer for
2.00, so my "price" would be 2.00. When the box came to the first person,
if I "bought 4.00 worth of beads I would have to contribute at least 4.00
worth of beads or materials, or whatever to keep the value of the box the
same or higher. In that way, you don't even have to lay out money for beads
or supplies, but you have a cashlike trade. NOW, what if I don't see
anything that I like, but I sent in 50.00 worth of stuff?

Don't know, yet..still thinking.

Bueller?

Lisa

Old May 30th 04, 09:09 PM
Dr. Sooz

We did that once. It got stuck somewhere. I think it disappeared. (I'm not
sure, but I think I know where, too) I didn't participate in it, so don't look
at me!

maybe we could do a bead box?

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old May 30th 04, 09:22 PM
ally

The quilt ng I used to frequent at used to do Watchagot boxes. Someone
filled a box with all sorts of quilting related bits n pieces they no
longer wanted. Then it got sent to the first person on the list who
took out what they fancied and replaced them with similar things. It
carried on down the list till ideally it went back to the originator who
kept what was in it.
The problem was (as Suze has said) that sometimes they get lost or held
up. Another problem too is that sometimes people would put in a book or
something very heavy which increased the cost of the postage.
Sometimes, it worked really well and was great fun.
:-)
--
ally
website: www.alcom.demon.co.uk
Old May 30th 04, 09:39 PM
Dr. Sooz

The problem was (as Suze has said) that sometimes they get lost or held
up. Another problem too is that sometimes people would put in a book or
something very heavy which increased the cost of the postage.
Sometimes, it worked really well and was great fun.

Some people will put in the worst crap, too. You have to trust the people you
send it to. I participated in one years ago, rubber stamp theme. It had the
crappiest junk in it!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Somewhat OT would like opinions on this idea please Marisa Cappetta Beads 3 March 12th 04 12:08 AM
Spiral Idea scaperchick Beads 0 October 10th 03 04:44 PM
*sigh* Another great idea up in smoke... Tink Beads 29 August 20th 03 05:32 PM
Sooz's Challenge idea.... Challenge angela Beads 10 August 17th 03 07:04 AM
An Idea Jalynne Beads 30 July 31st 03 05:15 AM