Jeweler's Desk Question

Old September 9th 03, 03:57 PM
Charles

Default Jeweler's Desk Question

Hello,

I am purchasing a jeweler's desk to use for creating jewelry.

Most of the desks I see online are 39 inches tall, which seems
unnaturally tall for a desk to me. I have found others that are 34
inches.

Can anyone who owns such a desk tell me what the advantages of a
39-inch tall desk is over one that is 34 inches tall?

Thank you.

Charles
Old September 10th 03, 01:42 AM
Abrasha

Charles wrote:

Hello,

I am purchasing a jeweler's desk to use for creating jewelry.

Most of the desks I see online are 39 inches tall, which seems
unnaturally tall for a desk to me. I have found others that are 34
inches.

Can anyone who owns such a desk tell me what the advantages of a
39-inch tall desk is over one that is 34 inches tall?

Thank you.

Charles

A goldsmith's bench (the proper name for the item you are referring to) should
be high. The goldsmith sits very low at the bench, in such a manner, that when
he puts both his elbows on the bench, his upper arms are almost horizontal.
Sitting like this, prevents the goldsmith from turning into a hunchback in very
short order.

On a 34" bench you would have to sit so extremely low, so that your legs would
almost certainly have to be bent under your chair, which would also prevent you
to operate bellows and/or flex shaft pedals properly.

Get some training before you buy yourself a "jeweler's desk". You're not ready
for one. Get a complete set of hand tools first.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 10th 03, 01:42 AM
Manmountain Dense

I don't have to lean into my work. It is already close to my face.

***************************************
Bruce D. Holmgrain
JA Certified Master Bench Jeweler
http://www.goldwerx.com

Old September 10th 03, 03:45 AM
NE333RO

Can anyone who owns such a desk tell me what the advantages of a
39-inch tall desk is over one that is 34 inches tall?

It allows you to rest your elbows on the the bench (or the extensions)
which helps slowdown the onset of fatigue, helps prevent a sore back, and
brings the work close to your face. Resting on the bench also allows you a
steadier hand. That is assuming you have a chair that is either the right
height or can be adjusted to the right height.
Theres nothing inherently wrong with a shorter bench unless it doesn't fit.
They are usually just too short for someone of normal height.