OT Storm update

Old February 2nd 11, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default OT Storm update

The official snow amounts at 9 a.m. ranged from 17.3" at O'Hare
Airport to 21" in a town just West of us. Everything is stopped. The
high wind has added extra problems. We have a drift at least 4' high
right to the side of our front door. So glad it wasn't up against the
door. It will continue to snow for several hours but not as heavy.
During the late evening it snowed 2 to 3 inches per hour. Plows can't
keep up with that type of snow.

We heard a plow go by about 9 pm last night but nothing has been down
our street since we got up at 6:00. I am surprised that some nut with
four wheel drive has not tried to race around town showing off.

The neighbors are starting to shovel. Standard snow blowers aren't
much help because it is thick and heavy. My husband started working
outside at 7:30 a.m. He just had to do something. He was like a caged
lion pacing around the house. He shoveled his way to the garage to get
the snow blower out. He has settled on the following system: first he
hand cleared a working area; next he used the shovel to break down the
wall of snow into the cleared area; this snow would then be blown
farther into the yard with the snow blower; now with a little more
space to work he would break down more snow which would then be blown
into the yard. At least he isn't trying to lift the stuff. The silly
thing is that our neighbor has a very powerful snow blower and said
last night he would clear our drive later in the day but Dave just had
to get started! We aren't planning to go anywhere.

Our power has stayed on. Our son lives an hour north of us and their
power went out at 6:00 last night. Their townhouse is down to 50
degrees. If the dinner is open about 3/4 of a mile from them they plan
to walk there, have a hot meal and recharge their phones and laptop.

Mom woke-up about daylight. I opened her window shade and showed her
the big drift outside her window. She wisely decided to go back to
sleep.

What a great day to quilt!
Susan

Old February 2nd 11, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

Your storm arrived here in Maine around daybreak... It's 2 pm and we
have 10-12" with more on the way. I think this storm has made the
record books in most of the states it's hit. . . something to brag
about to future generations!! BUT, we've no place to put it!!!
[We've already had 53+" of snow this winter AND didn't have a January
"thaw" to pack down what has already fallen.]
Look on the bright side - The groundhog didn't see his shadow!!!!!
BEG
ME-Judy

Old February 2nd 11, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

The ground hog definitely saw his shadow here in sunny SW Idaho. I was
hoping for an early spring - I'm tired of winter and we haven't had nearly
as bad a winter as some parts of the country have.

Donna in Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5841 (20110202) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old February 2nd 11, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
PhillyQuilter[_2_]

Our local groundhog, Punxatawney Phil, didn't see his shadow. It was
sleeting and icy rain. I suspect we are still in for 6 more weeks
anyway. I am soooo ready for little green shoots coming out of the
ground.I don't mind snow so much, but this darned ice is getting on my
nerves.

Diana

Old February 3rd 11, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

While the rest of the nation has been pounded this winter, we have had
no where near enough snow. Summer will be dry and possibly nasty. And
I'm really fretting about my garden. Look for massive water bills
later. We only had one or two decent snows. And it was all off by the
first week of January. It's frustrating. Our ski industry has hit the
skids and low tourism means fewer hours for our kids waiting tables
and working other service industries. Our city will lose so much
money. Ironic, isn't it?

Sunny
Old February 3rd 11, 07:54 AM
pashakazmi sha pashakazmi sha is offline
Junior Member

I had signed a land contract in Dec. 2006 to buy a house on contract but the financing fell through. We are trying to work on a new contract but are having no luck. She wants $84,000 for a house that was appraised at $93,000(thanks to our updates.) The original price ot the contract was $78,000.
Old February 3rd 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Not nearly as bad here as forecasted. They said 10-15" and we saw more like
8 - 10. I was hoping for a nice big snow! Fortunately we avoided the ice
storms. Hopefully the thousands and thousands without power will be
restored before the end up with lives lost, or frozen pipes resulting in
horrid property losses.

My next home (assuming it is still in the northern states) will have an
integrated generator to run the furnace and a few select household items
(like refrigerator & freezer!) Maybe even so I can run an extension cord to
my sewing machine! LOL

--
Kate in MI

Old February 4th 11, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Our neighbors have a gas generator. It is really noisy but fortunately
is on the kitchen side of our house. They installed it because they
are gone a lot in the summer and didn't want their basement to flood
during the summer if power is out and they are gone. It must be run at
least once a month so I hear it fire-up. It is something we also have
thought about for our next house. My husband's definition of how to
decide where to move during retirement: Tie your snow blower on top of
your car. Start driving south. When you reach an area where people ask
what that thing is tied to the top of the car you know you have gone
far enough.

Susan

Storm [email protected] Beads 2 April 1st 09 11:14 PM
Oh the storm we're getting Carol In WI Yarn 6 February 27th 07 09:33 PM
Oh the storm we're getting Carol In WI Yarn 1 February 26th 07 12:26 AM
ice storm (OT) lisa skeen Quilting 0 December 15th 05 07:45 PM
OT That Storm NoraBalcer Yarn 9 September 18th 04 01:41 AM