I have a question about backing material

Old May 23rd 10, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

Default I have a question about backing material

I'm in the process of making a 'scrappy' quilt. I have enough backing
fabric to run the seam horizontally across the middle but not enough
to use it vertically with it seamed on each side. Every book I've
read says never do a horizontal seam on the back. Is this just for
visual appeal or is there another reason like shrinkage or something?
If it's just for looks, I can live with a horizontal seam...if it's
for another reason, I'll have to find a Plan B backing fabric. Thank
you, Donna
Old May 23rd 10, 07:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

dealer83 wrote:
I'm in the process of making a 'scrappy' quilt. I have enough backing
fabric to run the seam horizontally across the middle but not enough
to use it vertically with it seamed on each side. Every book I've
read says never do a horizontal seam on the back. Is this just for
visual appeal or is there another reason like shrinkage or something?
If it's just for looks, I can live with a horizontal seam...if it's
for another reason, I'll have to find a Plan B backing fabric. Thank
you, Donna

I see no reason why a horizontal seam would be structurally less sound
than a vertical one, but I would use a slightly more generous seam
allowance than 1/4". TANQP

Lizzy
Old May 23rd 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Yeah, what Lizzy said. Also, no matter how tempted you are to leave the
selvedges, don't do it. They will shrink/pull a little or a lot. I have
seen some otherwise nice patterns for heirloom baby gowns that encouraged
cutting the opening with the selvedge so the facing wouldn't have to be
finished. Bad idea. Polly

Old May 23rd 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

i've done a few with horizontal seams, but have learned to quilt them
turning the whole sandwich on it's side.
then the quilt doesn't pucker as much.
amy in CNY
Old May 23rd 10, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On May 23, 2:13*pm, amy in CNY wrote:
i've done a few with horizontal seams, but have learned to quilt them
turning the whole sandwich on it's side.
then the quilt doesn't pucker as much.
amy in CNY

Thanks gals, horizontal seam it will be with selvages removed! I
appreciate your help. Donna
Old May 24th 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

dealer83 wrote:
I'm in the process of making a 'scrappy' quilt. I have enough backing
fabric to run the seam horizontally across the middle but not enough
to use it vertically with it seamed on each side. Every book I've
read says never do a horizontal seam on the back. Is this just for
visual appeal or is there another reason like shrinkage or something?
If it's just for looks, I can live with a horizontal seam...if it's
for another reason, I'll have to find a Plan B backing fabric. Thank
you, Donna

I thought that advice was for quilts that will be hanging vertically -
basically show quilts, or wall hangings I guess, I think it's to avoid
sagging.

I've seen instructions to make quilters width fabric into a wider
backing with diagonal seams. I have friends who piece every scrap left
from the front into the back - no one has complained of it causing a
problem.

So I guess it depends on what you are planning to do with the quilt.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 24th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

If you are having it "long-armed" you might be wise to check with your
quilter. At least some long-armers do not like vertically seamed
backings, because then the seam makes a ridge in the rolled up quilt. I
may not have explained it well, so just check with your quilter...

Julia in MN

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old May 24th 10, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

dealer83 wrote:
I'm in the process of making a 'scrappy' quilt. *I have enough backing
fabric to run the seam horizontally across the middle but not enough
to use it vertically with it seamed on each side. * Every book I've
read says never do a horizontal seam on the back. *Is this just for
visual appeal or is there another reason like shrinkage or something?
If it's just for looks, I can live with a horizontal seam...if it's
for another reason, I'll have to find a Plan B backing fabric. *Thank
you, Donna

--
-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Thanks Julia....I'm going to quilt this myself, so that won't be a
problem. I appreciate your insight though and will remember that for
ones I send out. Donna
Old May 24th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

IMO it has to do with how you might usually fold the quilt. One of the
folds often goes down the middle in each direction.

If you have enough fabric, you might consider this method:
http://www.flynnquilt.com/workshop/FreeLessons/
Scroll down to "diagonal pieced quilt back". Using this depends a lot
on the design of your backing -stripes might not work well. Also, you
lose 2 triangles'-worth of fabric. But it's very clever for making
that seam less visible.
Roberta in D

Old May 24th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On May 23, 1:26*pm, dealer83 wrote:
I'm in the process of making a 'scrappy' quilt. *I have enough backing
fabric to run the seam horizontally across the middle but not enough
to use it vertically with it seamed on each side. * Every book I've
read says never do a horizontal seam on the back. *Is this just for
visual appeal or is there another reason like shrinkage or something?
If it's just for looks, I can live with a horizontal seam...if it's
for another reason, I'll have to find a Plan B backing fabric. *Thank
you, Donna

I've done horizontal seams, in fact, on a quilt I use and wash often.
Looks
great after many washings. Go for it!

Sherry

backing question offkilterquilter Quilting 4 April 4th 07 09:41 PM
A backing question ? Patti Quilting 26 March 20th 07 05:03 PM
x-stitch bib backing question aeromom Needlework 5 April 2nd 05 10:08 PM
Need material like linoleum without twine backing Doc Polymer Clay 5 August 23rd 04 02:22 PM
Need material that's like linoleum without twine backing Doc General Crafting 2 August 9th 04 05:22 PM