A new machine for my quilter?

Old May 11th 10, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ed from AZ

Default A new machine for my quilter?

My wife has made do all these years with older hand-me-down machines.
If she ever had a new one, it was long ago and a cheap one. back
then, though, she didn't do much sewing except for making and mending
clothes.

Now she's discovered the joys of quilting. But her machine isn't
really up to the task of lots of piecing, going through the sandwich,
and long runs in the ditch (much less trying anything fancier). And
she's just really getting into it, but the machine can be so
frustrating!

So I'd like to see if me and the kids (all of whom are now older than
she was when she married me!) can pool together and get her a new
decent machine for Christmas. Nothing computerized and complicated,
but capable of handling 'most anything she wants to do. She's trying
to finish her second quilt right now - and has realized that maybe she
needs to do some smaller projects to get more confident before
tackling another big one. And she loves doing pot holders (she's got
the "Pretty Little ... " book series).

What machines would y'all recommend?
Ed
Old May 11th 10, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

I've heard good things about the Janome 6600, and I think that's one I'd
look for if I needed a new machine. On the other hand, I've been really
happy with my Husqvarna for many years and would probably check them out
too. I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations from others on just
about every make of machine available.

Once you get your recommendations and decide on your top choices within
your price range, please take your wife to the various dealers to let
her try each one so she can make the final decision. She can take along
mini quilts so she can see how each feeds through the machine to ensure
it does what she wants it to do. And she also may find some features she
just can't live without!

Good luck, and thanks for being so good to your lovely wife!
-
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old May 11th 10, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I love, love, LOVE my Janome 6600! It's a real workhorse and designed
specifically for quilters with all the bells and whistles a quilter could
ask for in a sewing machine. But it is computerized and you said 'no' to
that. (It sells new for about $1500.) A gently used late model machine is
a much better buy than brand new- just like when you buy a car.

And I agree with Louise- your wife should test drive many machines before
the purchase is made. Choosing a sewing machine for someone else is not
such a good idea- your idea to upgrade her current machine is a excellent
idea and thank you for recognizing that her old machine is holding her back
in her quilting adventures.

Best of luck- there's a lot to choose from out there!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old May 11th 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I love my Janome 6600. It's computerized, but not in such a way that
you need an engineering degree to use it. The interface is digital and
you use little buttons to scroll through the various stitches and then
choose them. Nothing more complicated than that is ever necessary. The
needle can be told to always stop in the down position. There is a
little button that cuts both top and bottom threads when you are ready
-- nice and close to the machine. And it's sturdy as heck. I stitched
part of an aluminum soda can to a background without any fuss, and
I've stitched through light cardboard.

I will also say that in the same price range is a Babylock (don't
remember which model number) that is very similar, but will completely
thread itself. Very nice.

Good luck to you and bless your heart for wanting to give your darling
wife a nice machine.

Sunny
Old May 11th 10, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Janome is coming out with a new machine. 7700 Horizon. The 6600 should be
going for a really good price, new or used. There will be some great
bargains on it out there. It is computerized and I HIGHLY recommend buying
it from a stable, local,
not going to go under business that will offer support. Janome the company
were of absoltely no help when my 6600 needed it. My shop had gone under
and I had no support. This might be the same for other companies too
though. The 6600 is a machine that for the most part is pretty nice. If
you aren't interested in computerized and the cost to keep that up I would
hesitate to go for the 6600. If a straight stitch only machine for
quilting would work I would suggest a Juki TL98 or the Brother 1500. They
are nearly the same machine and are great for piecing and quilting. If she
is doing much quilting go for the machines with the larger than normal
length or harp size. If you google you will see some of the old threads
here too.
Taria

Old May 11th 10, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_6_]

I have a pretty "basic" Husqvarna (Viking) "Lily 550" I love it! It doesn't
do ALL the computerized fancy stitches that some do, but:
-- it does sew a heck-of-a-good 1/4" seam for piecing,
-- it has a "needle down" position you can click on - to make sure the
needle stops in the "down" position so you can turn a corner without the
quilt slipping away.
-- it WILL easily sew through heavy fabric (as in hemming a pair of jeans -
or quilting a quilt) if you use a size 18 or "jeans" needle.
-- it needs very little upkeep.
Mine's been running great for years and years!
ME-Judy

Old May 11th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I wonder if your wife is one who hates to shop. She could be. Our oldest
daughter is one. She will wear just whatever I buy and hand to her and
loves it. Shopping is a dreadful waste of time (to her).
OTOH, I do hope you're paying attention to what several here have
already said. Please bless your wife with choosing her sewing machine
*herself*. Please don't surprise her with one she didn't want, doesn't
like, and is going to put in the attic the first time nobody's looking. I'm
sure. Polly

Old May 11th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ross

Ed from AZ wrote:
[...]

Several years ago I got my wife a Juki TL98Q and she loves it.
Right now the machine is getting a real workout. She is working on
wedding quilts for two of our granddaughters, one getting married this
August and the second a month later in September.

Ross
Old May 11th 10, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Ed, what area of Arizona do you live in? We have lots of good dealers
all over the state and lots of great support. I would be happy to let
you know of dealers I know in your area.
As others have said, let your wife make the final decision on a
machine. while all do basically the same stuff, the positions of
controls, bobbin winder and so forth can make a big difference in how
comfortable the machine is to use.
Thank you for understanding the need for a good machine to do the best
job.

Pati, in Phx

Old May 12th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 11 May 2010 09:38:42 -0500, Ed from AZ wrote
(in article
):

[...]

I have both a Janome and Viking and love them both. I think you couldn't go
wrong with a machine from either of those. Also had the opportunity to sew
recently on an Elna and thought it made a nice stitch.

But a machine is a lot like a car. You're really going to have to let her
test drive and choose for herself. Nothing would be worse than not having a
feature she really wants or all the buttons in the wrong place!

Maureen