Sewing Rooms

Old March 20th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Default Sewing Rooms

If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

Old March 20th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

I'd go for the basement if it was light (windows, view, lighting, etc.) and
dry. I like being off by myself to really get 'deep' into my quilting.
Basements tend to be cool and irons and lots of lights produce heat. But
available storage would be a consideration, too. A bedroom would have a
closet that could have shelves in it for fabric, etc. Carpet is not the
best flooring for a sewing area- as you know.

Big decision but it sounds like fun! Good luck!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old March 20th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trixie[_2_]

I'd go for the unfinished basement and "finish" it the way you want. It is
probably farther away from the hustle and bustle of the rest of the house so
you are more likely to have uninterrupted time where you can spread out
without having anyone mess with your mess.

Trixie

Old March 20th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

You have to ask yourself how many times a day do you want to go up and down
those stairs. If the bedroom was big enough I'd probably pick it. I would
rather be upstairs where the kitchen and bathroom are.

Ms P

Old March 20th 10, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

My goodness! TAKE the bedroom. What difference does it make if there's a
carpet in there? It will be kinder to your body. My major alarm here is
our friend Susan's sewing area/basement flooding. Twice, I think. Oh. The
agony of it all. What if you broke your leg and couldn't do the stairs?
That's happened here more than once too. You'll want one of those acrylic
things to put beneath your SM chair. Might want one of those nice pads to
put where you stand at your cutting table. No problem. Nobody has ever died
from vacuuming threads and snips from a carpet. Polly

Old March 20th 10, 05:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I've sort of been in both.

First I was in the basement. Ours is pretty huge but also finished.
All I had to do was install nice ceiling lights with the help of my Dad
and it was ready to go. Big sliding glass door plus a window gave me
lots of natural light. Yes, I had carpet over hardwood but I guess I
the rare weird quilter who likes carpet :-) Big walls for design wall.
Lots of floor space for spreading out or basting or setting up another
table and having a friend sew.

Then came the extra bookcases, then the video games then more and then a
keyboard and then the stationary bicycle and the rowing machine and
finally the elliptical was the last straw. My big basement space had
shrunk way, way down to bedroom size.

So, I moved up to a bedroom.

Now I have a walk in closet for everything to store. Yes, I like things
out of sight or I get too distracted and never finish anything :-) It's
warmer upstairs. The bathroom is next door instead of one flight up.
There's a phone jack so I don't have to remember to take a portable down
(and back up) with me. I still need to get a better light installed and
put a design wall up but it's pretty wonderful to be in a bedroom.

So, my first question to you would be exactly how "unfinished" is it?
Do you have light, comfortable floors that you can lay things out on for
basting or whatever? Is it warm enough? Do you have budget to finish
it off so it is a nice work area? Is there adequate electrical? If you
are a quilter who needs TV to listen to or computer connections are
there the proper outlets for all of that? Are you going to exhaust
yourself running up and down stairs to deal with people at the door,
children, dinner making, laundry and all the other sundry things that go
on while we are trying to quilt?

While the bigger space is really great. You want it to be comfortable
working space so that you actually love to spend time there.

marcella

Old March 20th 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Cindy Schmidt wrote:
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy,

By all means, pick the HUGE bedroom. I sew in the basement and it's not
very comfortable. We would need to have some major work done to make it
comfortable for any sort of activity really. There are not enough
electrical outlets, not enough light, the floor is always cold, and I
feel like I'm being sent down to the dungeon at times. I would love to
have a huge bedroom for sewing.

Judie
Old March 20th 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_5_]

Cindy Schmidt wrote:
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cindy, is there a way for you to try sewing in the basement for a week
or two to see how it works for you?

Judie
Old March 20th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Mar 20, 12:10*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
My goodness! * TAKE *the bedroom. *What difference does it make if there's a
carpet in there? *It will be kinder to your body. *My major alarm here is
our friend Susan's sewing area/basement flooding. *Twice, I think. *Oh. *The
agony of it all. *What if you broke your leg and couldn't do the stairs?
That's happened here more than once too. *You'll want one of those acrylic
things to put beneath your SM chair. *Might want one of those nice pads to
put where you stand at your cutting table. No problem. Nobody has ever died
from vacuuming threads and snips from a carpet. *Polly

THat was kind of my thought too, Polly. I'd also go for the room with
the best light,
most comfortable heat/air.

Sherry
Old March 20th 10, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
dealer83

On Mar 20, 10:55*am, "Cindy Schmidt" wrote:
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. *The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

I went for the bedroom also. It's closer to the bathroom, has better
light, and I don't feel so totally shut off from the rest of the
house. A plastic floor protector for your chair should make it slide
around easily. Good luck! Donna

Sewing Rooms Sandy Ellison Quilting 0 April 29th 06 10:09 PM
lots of sewing rooms Taria Quilting 2 May 7th 05 08:12 AM
Sewing rooms - pictures Lazygirl Quilting 8 March 9th 05 01:26 AM
Covering the edges of rooms? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 1 March 5th 04 05:43 PM
Craft Rooms Christina Peterson Beads 65 September 4th 03 01:32 AM