ot OT prescriptions

Old May 23rd 10, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default ot OT prescriptions

Aha and oh ho. No wonder she's been so robbed. She does have prescription
drug coverage, she did check to see that this insurance company covered her
meds and then they dropped her non-generic meds. Dirty trick, methinks.
Her income is too high to qualify for assistance from any of the programs
we've found. I kinda think she could hire a limousine and ride to Canada in
style for $ 800. Maybe not but I could ask. Polly

Old May 23rd 10, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Wisconsin. Yes. I used to know about their encouraging their residents to
get their meds in Canada. Just one of the things that slipped from my
insufficient memory. Thank you. Polly

"dealer83" In years past I got my drugs from Canada as Wisconsin encouraged
us to
do it...so much cheaper, about 1/3rd the cost of them in the USA. I
used Canadadrug.com. CanadaRX is another good one. You have to fax
your prescription to them or have your Dr. do it. The turn around
time is fast, maybe a week. Costco is the the cheapest in the USA and
then Walmart and Target.

Old May 23rd 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

Have her start he http://www.needymeds.org and
http://www.ssa.gov/prescriptionhelp/
Old May 24th 10, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

you need a doctor who is prepared to write a script that can be filled
in Canada, I'm hazy on the details, but I'm not sure that just writing
it on headed notepaper is sufficient. I've definitely heard of doctors
in some towns near the border that will do that, or pharmacies over the
border that have relationships that enable to convert them, but most
importantly she needs to know if the price really would be better, which
probably means picking up the phone, contacting a few pharmacies and
finding someone who will confirm the prices.

Are the medicines ones where there are no alternatives that do come as
generics, or those have already been tried? She might do better by
talking to her pharmacist and doctors, even changing doses or
formulations can help - I had a dumb situation where I prefered soluble,
the doctor prescribed the regular stuff, I ended up seeing the price for
both and to my surprise the soluble was a tenth the price of the
regular, it's usually the other way around.

Cheers
Anne
Old May 24th 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Polly Esther wrote:
Aha and oh ho. No wonder she's been so robbed. She does have
prescription drug coverage, she did check to see that this insurance
company covered her meds and then they dropped her non-generic meds.
Dirty trick, methinks. Her income is too high to qualify for assistance
from any of the programs we've found. I kinda think she could hire a
limousine and ride to Canada in style for $ 800. Maybe not but I
could ask. Polly

Polly, it sounds like she really needs to someone to do some grunt work
for her, unfortunately I'm not very knowledgeable about the US system,
medicare and the like, but I'm moderately knowledgeable about drugs
(seriously considered becoming a pharmacist, so have an interest) and I
wouldn't mind doing some research for her - but I would need more
specifics, I know where to get good prices on some drugs, but not every
source is good for every type of drug. So if you want you can email me
and I can try and help, patient advocacy is something I'd like to
volunteer with in the longer term.

Cheers
Anne

Old May 24th 10, 05:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michele in NYC[_2_]

OOps, sorry about that other post.

Polly,

I buy many of my mother's drugs in Canada. I started last year and
could kick myself that I didn't do it sooner. She's now saving close
$5,000 CASH out-of-pocket this year. That ain't chump change.

It's a very easy process. You can sign up online or by phone, mail or
fax. They need basic information, a list of medications, a copy of the
RX, and sometimes a copy of picture ID. There is NO NEED to EVER give
out a SSN# or insurance (Medicare/AARP, whatever) because it has no
relevance for these transactions.

The most time consuming part is finding the right company that has the
drugs you (or your friend) needs. But that can easily be done online.
Any doctor (licensed in the US) can write the RX - you don't have to
be near the border. My mother is in FL.
I currently use 3 different Canadian pharmacies because they work for
us with the drugs she needs.

The drugs don't necessarily come from Canada, they may contract out
with other pharmacies all over the world. I've gotten packages from
the UK, Germany, India, and the last batch came from New Zealand. Most
came within 3 weeks of ordering. Note they all have about a $10
shipping fee (per order).

Want to hear about the cost savings? Un-freaking-believable. My mother
takes over 15 different medications but the most expensive are related
to her dementia. Namenda, Aricept and Aggrenox (stroke prevention).
There are no available generics in the US. Brand name only.

Here's the comparison - the US costs represent Humana's approx
negotiated rate for their Medicare Part D members for a 90-day supply
of these brand drugs bought at a CVS or via Right Source mail order:

Namenda - US $505 OnlineCanada: $116
Aricept - US $610 OnlineCanada: $75(for Generic)
Aggrenox - US $450 OnlineCanada: $93

That's a savings on just these 3 drugs of almost $1,300/quarter. And
note that most times the drugs come in blister packs and it's in
amounts of 100 instead of 90. So you're getting an extra 10 days
included in that lower price.

The Aggrenox is particulary galling. In the US it comes in a separate
box for each month. The ones I've gotten from the UK/Germany are in
the exact same box, same bottle, SAME FREAKING pill, except it's all
printed with name ASASATIN instead of Aggrenox. The other medications
come in blister packs.

We can all thank big Pharma for keeping all these generics out of the
US. And for lobbying hard enough so Medicare CANNOT negotiate prices.
How freaking insane is that??

A couple of words of caution. On refills (which just require an easy
phone call) it's possible the drug can come from a different country,
and therefore might look different. Depending on the cognitive
capabilities of the patient, that could be confusing - if he/she is
used to a round pill and now it's oval, white and now it's yellow. You
get the picture.

Just recently I called to reorder the Aggrenox. The price was higher
at one company, so I called the other one. They had the higher price
but I asked them if they had a promotion or lower price. 2 seconds
later, I had it for the lower price. So it pays to call around.

And someone mentioned up above, many companies do offer aid, but I've
heard from others that in the last year or two the paperwork is so
overwhelming that I can see where some seniors might just give up if
they're not up to the task. They don't make is easy to apply, despite
all their blabbering to the contrary.

If you want to email me the drugs your friend is looking for, I can
look around and give you some suggestions for which companies might be
best for her based on the drugs she needs. I also wrote up this 2 page
"how to" for the neurologist to give out to other patients to maybe
help them save some bucks. Which, btw, I'm sure she never did because
doctors HATE to have these conversations.

With all that, your friend needs to keep in mind she's already paying
for an Rx plan here in the US. You didn't clarify if that's a Medicare
PartD plan. Whichever it is, she should try to exhaust those benefits
first (she's already paid for them) before she uses the Canadian ones.
And, a final note, drugs bought outside the country cannot be included
when calculating your medical tax deduction on your federal taxes.

I feel for your friend. But there is help out there. Email me if you
want more info.

-Michele in NYC

Old May 24th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Well. Here I am once again absolutely astounded at the wealth of
information available here from my beloved rctq friends. My goodness.
While it certainly was OT, I hope you who are expecting to get old were
paying close attention to this thread. Thank you. Thank you so very much.
Polly

"Michele in NYC"

Old May 27th 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry Starr[_3_]

On May 22, 11:09*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
The facts here have been disguised to protect the innocent (not that I know
anybody all that innocent). *An elderly friend of ours is paying $ 800 per
month for her medications. *There are no generic substitutes and her
miserable tight-wad prescription insurance company won't pay a dime to help
her.
* * She doesn't *'do' internet and can't research. *I just can't help but
wonder if she might be able to get her prescriptions through Canada.
Forking over $800 a month isn't forcing her to live in the city park in a
Boy Scout tent or have to serve Spam for Easter Dinner. *It just strikes me
that this is simply not right.
* * She's not a quilter needing FQs but I would love to help her save some
$s for bingo down at the VFW every Thursday night.
* * Please tell us about friends of yours that get their medicine from
Canada. *No personal experiences, please. *Big Brother is watching you
instead of the border. *Polly

I know 4 of my guild members have tried getting medication from
Canada. The first time was cheaper, the refills were more expensive
than they were the first time. Also, 2 of them had their drugs tested
because they weren't convinced they were getting the correct
medication, and it was not the medication they ordered. It was sugar
and aspirin!!!! All 4 of them have stopped dealing with Canada. They
had insurance, but their particular medications were not covered under
their policy. Sometimes the doctor can help her. Has she tried to
contact the maker of the drugs? I know sometime they will help with
the cost of some of the drugs.

Sherry Starr
Old May 27th 10, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

You're really bringing up the rear here, Sherry. I ( I say *I* but it turns
out there are quite a few of the rctq folks battling prescription costs) am
so grateful and astounded at the brick walls and not so bricky involved.
Just for example - I only take one wee tiny little pill. Was told there is
NO generic. Yes there is. Came upon that quite by accident. I asked a 1st
cousin what he took, and also a nephew ... and there was my answer. In
conclusion: old folks or maybe just those who are baffled by the struggle
need an advocate. I'm just so grateful that you all could help me help my
friend. Polly

"Sherry Starr" I know 4 of my guild members have tried getting medication