Quilt shows in the US?

Old May 9th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

Default Quilt shows in the US?

Debbie, I am going to try to go on Saturday. My friends Dawn and
Patrick own The Creation Station [booth is to the left about 4 rows
down from main entrance, on the end] and their booth theme will be
Pajama Game. Can't wait to see what they come up with! Dawn will be
doing a couple of talks this year, also!

The drive is tedious from this area down, but it beats the
unreliability of the train and Metro.

Yes, let's aim for a meet-up. Is there anyone else who will be going
to Houston West?

Ginger in CA
On May 9, 8:25*am, Debbi in So CA wrote:
In 2011, the show in Long Beach will be July 29-31. *Would love to meet
up with you if you come to this one. This year is the 3rd year it is in
Long Beach and I am looking forward to going!!!

Debbi in SO CA

Ginger in CA wrote:
quilts.com gives you the dates of their shows, which includes Houston,
and "Houston West" in Long Beach, CA

Ginger in CA

On May 8, 3:22 am, "Leigh Harris" wrote:
Hi all,

Some time in 2011 or 2012 I will have to take 10 weeks long service leave,
corresponding with one school term here. I know, dreadful isn't it? :-)
Anyway, it occurred to me that this might be an opportunity to do something
rather exciting and actually go to one of the big quilt shows in the US.
Trouble is, I don't know much about them.

Here's what I know. Paducah is in April (27-30 in 2011 and 25-28 in 2012).
Either of those would work for me. Houston is in late October/early
November. This would not be a good time for me.

I guess I'm asking a couple of things. Are there any other 'big' quilt shows
that I should look at and, if so, where and when are they? (Late April to
early July is probably the time frame I'd prefer.)

Secondly, it just seems to me that many people hold Houston in higher
'reverence' (for want of a better word) than Paducah. Am I wrong about that
anyway? Considering it will cost me a fair amount to come from Down Under
(haven't even started to look into that yet!), would Paducah, or any other
show that you can tell me of, be worth the expense? I'm thinking that it
would be so probably just looking for a little reassurance there.

Oaky, that's all very vague at the moment, but the gist of it is that I
would like to know about the wonderful quilt shows that are on and what
people in the know would recommend for a quilt show novice from Down Under.
Anyone like to offer some advice?

Thanks in advance.

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia- Hide quoted text -

Old May 10th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Please email me privately. My directory address is current. I just
emailed you at bigpond address and it bounced. Guess I am out of date.

Susan Price

Old May 10th 10, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Wouldn't Nashville be closer than Memphis? I once drove to Paducah
from there, and it took about 1.5 hours.
Roberta in D

On Sun, 9 May 2010 14:52:25 -0500, Maureen Wozniak
wrote:

On Sat, 8 May 2010 08:00:19 -0500, Roberta wrote
(in article ):

Another option might be Malvern in England in May IIRC. Not anywhere
near the scale of Houston, but plenty to see.

Isn't there a spring show in Chicago? Or am I hallucinating?
Roberta in D

e.

Yes, IQF has done a show in Chicago, usually the week before the Paducah
show. I haven't personally been, because it is so close to Paducah and I
usually go there.

However, I get the feeling it's not as big as Paducah. People I know who
have gone have usually just spent a day.

Of course, Chicago would be a lot more convenient to fly into than Paducah.
I'm not sure, but I think the closest airports of any size to Paducah are in
St. Louis and Memphis.

Maureen

Old May 11th 10, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

Susan, try the addy showing below for Leigh.
that might work as she is using it to post to the ng.
j.

"Susan Laity Price" wrote ...

Old May 11th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

Paducah doesnt have its own airport?
yup, seems they do.
didnt really check out the link but they do have one.
http://www.barkleyregional.com/
http://www.barkleyregional.com/destinations.phtml
j.

"Roberta" wrote ...
Wouldn't Nashville be closer than Memphis? I once drove to Paducah
from there, and it took about 1.5 hours.
Roberta in D

snipped

Old May 11th 10, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

AQS sponsors several quilt shows at various locations each year. More
info at http://www.americanquilter.com/shows_contests/upcoming.php.
The Minnesota Quilters show is a fairly large show and is held in June
each year. Location rotates among St. Paul, St. Cloud, Duluth, and
Rochester.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old May 12th 10, 12:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
deschuit

Leigh,
You may want to consider the AQS show (new in 2010) in Lancaster, PA.
Great area to visit, lots of fabric shops and craft related shops in the
area, as well as antique shops. I believe the show is the middle of
March next year. Marriott at Penn Square & Lancaster County Convention
Center
March 16 - 19, 2011

Kathy in NH

Old May 22nd 10, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leigh Harris[_3_]

Thank you everyone for all your responses about Paducah and other shows. I'd
say it's pretty definite now that I will indeed go to Paducah next year.
Only one thing would stop it (the good old dollars!), but I think we can get
through that. I will certainly be in touch again, with individuals and the
group, when I have or need more details.

Looking forward to actually meeting some of you in my travels! :-)

--
Leigh Harris
Perth, Western Australia

Old May 22nd 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Debbi in So CA wrote:
In 2011, the show in Long Beach will be July 29-31. Would love to meet
up with you if you come to this one. This year is the 3rd year it is in
Long Beach and I am looking forward to going!!!

There is also an outdoor quilt show in Sisters, Oregon at this time of
year, it may be the weekend before, but it might clash with this one. I
haven't been myself, apparently all the accomodation in Sisters gets
booked out a year in advance.

Cheers
Anne

quilt shows and such Val[_2_] Quilting 3 February 21st 09 01:42 PM
Virtual Quilt shows Debra Quilting 1 July 16th 08 02:16 AM
quilt shows Judy W Quilting 5 August 4th 06 04:28 PM
QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
Florida Quilt shows Sue H. Quilting 5 December 14th 03 07:51 PM