the least of these

Old May 22nd 10, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default the least in Other Words

J-u-s-t right, Sunny. DDIL is a shopping fiend and she found some light
weight 'cozy fleece for us today. I can't wait to get my hands on it. We
might be able to get 8 wraps per yard or at least 6 I think. Polly

"Sunny" Polly, I'm putting a layer of flannel between two layers of soft
white
cotton, birthing, closing the gap and putting a little star/knot in a
few places on the square. Does this sound like it will work? Seems
lightweight, very soft and drape-y

Sunny

Old May 22nd 10, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default JUNKing the least of these

There's lots I don't understand about the tech world. One of you dear
hearts emailed me for an address to send some wraps for the little ones AND!
it hit my junk email box with one of those beeping pink alerts. I don't
usually look at all the ads to resolve my erectile dysfunction problems but
just happened to today. Please. If you have offered to help us hug the
precious babies that were born too soon and I have not responded - please do
try again. Very grateful for your help and kindness, Polly

Old May 22nd 10, 05:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

That method even worked with the heinous little "tiny serger" my DH
bought me for Christmas one year.

Certainly a lot easier than rethreading from scratch!

NightMist

On Fri, 21 May 2010 16:15:36 -0700, Pati, in Phx wrote:

I was taught a fairly simple way to change the threads on the serger
when I first worked with industrial sergers in the tailor shop...... Cut
the threads leaving a longish tail at the top. Tie on the new threads
with a square knot. Lift the threads out of the tensions and gently pull
the threads through the serger. Or run the serger and they will feed
through. I usually separate the threads and pull the needle threads
separate from the looper threads. (If your square knot is small enough
it can even slip right through the eye of the needle. G )
Make sure the threads are seated firmly in the tension assembly before
you start to sew.

Have fun, and practice always makes it easier.

Pati, in Phx

On May 21, 2:51Â*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
One day, Pati, I want you to teach me how to change the thread on my
serger without needing a tranquillizer gun and a 45 minute prayer
meeting. Â*Polly

"Pati, in Phx" How about a simple serged edge? Could use decorative
thread in a
contrasting or matching color. Soft and fast. I've done receiving
blankets with a single layer of good flannel that way. The moms loved
them.

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old May 22nd 10, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Default the least of these

Polly Esther wrote:
Can you make a quilt about 17" square? A burial quilt for a wee one who
was born too soon? Our group needs about 100 fetal demise blankets.
This state holds the very painful record for the most premature
births/deaths in our nation.
It is a tough call. Making a quilt for a burial is surely
heart-wrenching unless you know that you are wrapping a little angel
that never breathed and deserves better than being wrapped in paper.
The quilts need to be white, cream, pink or blue - something gentle
and not cheerful. Just two squares with a thin batting - binding is not
expected, birthing is fine. Quilting is not expected either, just tying
in 6 or 7 random places or a tack stitch on your SM.
Join me if you can in hugging the littlest angels. I know you can't
do a hundred but I thought I'd ask if some of you could do just one.

I can't commit just right now, when do you need these by? Friends of
mine just lost a baby at about 23 weeks, they had some warning it might
happen and I had started knitting a blanket for him and praying for his
life at the same time, he died before I finished it, but I managed to
finish it that day and give it to his parents, they chose to keep the
blanket as a memento, another friend is going to make them a box they
can put things like that in. So this is a topic close to my heart right
now and I'd love to contribute.

Anne
Old May 22nd 10, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I understand, Anne. Just any time you can, climb right in. I know that
little one of yours probably keeps you hopping. Polly

"Anne Rogers" I can't commit just right now, when do you need these by?

Old May 23rd 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

My new Babylock practically threads itself. What a joy! Much better than
my old Elna was, though the real problem with that machine was that the
timing was so touchy & it ended up in the shop for service nearly every
time I used it -- so much that I often hesitated to even use it.

Julia in MN

Polly Esther wrote:
One day, Pati, I want you to teach me how to change the thread on my
serger without needing a tranquillizer gun and a 45 minute prayer
meeting. Polly

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html
-----------

Old May 23rd 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

I agree with Julia - I love my Baby Lock - it is SO easy to thread. Not
only is it easy to thread, but it does NOT have to be threaded in any
certain order like other sergers I've had.

Donna in SW Idaho

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5139 (20100523) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old May 26th 10, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Am I a day late and a dollar short on my answer? You could call it "stitch
and turn" ... would that work?
Pat

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Sure, Irene. Send them to me. Somebody help me here. The quilt
instructions received from Newborns in Need asks that the little quilts be
birthed instead of using binding. Some volunteers have not been familiar
with 'birthing'. Is there another expression, term, word or something
that would be better understood? I can't say 'like you make a pillow'
because we don't want anybody stuffing a pillow form in one. Can you help
me with better words? Polly