Quilt Notions & Travel Questions

Old March 29th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Quilt Notions & Travel Questions

Howdy!

I take one of these on a plane; no problem; just a little blade to
cut thread or yarn:

http://www.showyourlogo.com/office-p...er-Openers.htm

A plastic pill bottle will hold a spool of thread, needles, safety pins,
finger cot, small marking pencil. Tape is wrapped around the bottle
(used for marking quilting lines); everything goes into a clear zip
bag, along w/ the free plastic cutter & a metal thimble. Goes thru'
security just fine, is open to eyesight for manual inspection.

R/Sandy

On 3/27/10 1:25 PM, in article
, "Hanne"
wrote:

The threadcutters are explicitly forbidded for carry-on, see the TSA
website:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

I've carried on board needles and dental floss box lots of times, in
various airports and was never questioned on any of that.

I have my aluminum chrochet hook (just the one) in my pencil case, and
wasn't asked about that either, but I think that was only one flight,
so not much to go by. I would have gotten a cheap plastic one, if I
could, but those are not available here...

Pack a magnet, if you drop a needle, you want to be able to find it
more easily than normal. Personally, I end up using my kit in the
airport during waittime and not in the air, where I always find the
space too cramped. Of course, if you are sharing space only with you
husband, this might not be an issue for you :-)

Hanne in DK

On Mar 26, 4:35*pm, "KimW" wrote:
Hi Everyone. I know a lot of you enjoy traveling and take your quilting
projects with you. So I have a couple of questions, especially for those who
fly. DH and I are going with another couple to Hawaii in December. I really
want to take along my Tumbling Block diamonds to work on while in the air. I

am hand piecing them rather than machine piecing. I have never attempted to
get any kind of sewing equipment through security at the airport so I'm not
sure what can and cannot be taken through.

I won't even attempt to take scissors but what about needles? I've thought
about getting one of those thread cutter necklaces to take but was wondering
if they really work. Has anyone used them? What should I pack in my sewing
travel kit besides the blocks?

Deb is planning to take her crocheting stuff. Does TSA allow crochet needles
through security? If so, I may take that too just to have a change if I get
too bored with Tumbling Blocks.

Any suggestions and advice are most appreciated.

Hugs,
Kim

Old March 29th 10, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

My suggestion would be, whatever you decide to put in your carry-on, select
a cheap version. I find it hard to imagine a guard might confiscate a
*plastic* crochet hook

I would also suggest putting the project in an opaque bag, or in a side
pocket of a bag, meaning on a visual inspection they don't open you bag
up and see everything sitting right on top and it makes sense to have it
all organised, so it doesn't look like you're trying to hide anything!

I like Jeanne's idea of using a dental floss box.

Cheers
Anne
Old April 8th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

On Mar 27, 11:46*am, Maureen Wozniak wrote:
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 08:48:38 -0500, Roberta wrote
(in article ):

No idea, every flight seems to be different. Somebody once posted here
the suggestion of a dental floss box to hold a bobbin full of thread
-built-in cutter. You could put a couple of needles and pins in it
too. No security check has ever confiscated my jewelry, so why not
stick a needle through your lapel? If you're like me, there's often a
needle stuck in clothing somewhere anyway.
Roberta in D

I've never had problem with the thread cutter pendant as my "necklace" but
it's been a long while since we've flown. *(At least 2 years). *Also, I stuck
my needles and pins along the zipper teeth in my purse. *No one even notices
they were there.

MSM has been flying to AZ with her knititng and no problems, so I'd guess a
crochet hook, especially a wooden or plastic one would be okay.

Maureen

I never even thought about putting them beside the purse zipper.
That's a good idea. Now I just have to find some plastic crochet
needles. All of mine are metal and I just don't want to risk having
them taken away by security. It looks like I'm in for a trip to
Joann's.

Hugs,
KimW
Old April 8th 10, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

On Mar 27, 1:17*pm, Mary in Rock Island IL
wrote:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...xperience.shtm

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm

I have flown with nail clippers (the kind without the pointy device)
and used them for trimming threads in flight.

Mary

Oh wow!!! Thank you so much Mary. These websites were great.

Hugs,
Kim
Old April 8th 10, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mika

On Mar 26, 4:35*pm, "KimW" wrote:

[...]

Kim- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Hanne, I'm glad you mentioned a magnet. I never would have
thought of that. I have an extension magnet that will fit right in
with my crochet hook. Hopefully it won't get taken by security. We are
going with another couple and luckily for the longest part of our trip
we have window and aisle seats. So it will only be the two of us
sitting together. Deb and I decided we would put the guys in two seats
together so we could sit together and sew or crochet and gab while the
guys gab or nap.

Hugs,
Kim

Notions sale Julia in MN[_5_] Quilting 0 May 24th 09 06:35 PM
Quilt or travel question Dave Daniels Quilting 44 March 1st 05 01:13 AM
more on can't travel, will quilt Queen of Squishies Quilting 7 January 19th 05 12:21 AM
can't travel, will quilt Queen of Squishies Quilting 12 January 18th 05 06:25 PM
Nancy's Notions comes through Kate T. Quilting 3 April 20th 04 03:18 AM