Sewing Rooms

Old March 22nd 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Default Sewing Rooms

Many extra bedrooms... take over 2 of them! One set up for your actual
sewing -- design wall and notions. The other for your fabric storage. You
can still keep a bed in it -- but that extra dresser... fabric. The
closet -- fabric! Nightstands... fabric!

or better yet -- knock out a wall between two of the bedrooms! Double your
space!!

--
Kate in MI

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
Roberta ~

Funny you should mention extra bedroom. The new house if you include this
room will have 5 bedrooms. Why - hell if I know. I fell in love with
the house from the minute I seen it online and we lost it once due to
someone putting a contract on it but then they lost it because they were
stupid. So I wasn't going to let it go a second time. I thought at our
age we would be downsizing, but nooooooooo not in our case - we went way
up in size. Oh well. Four extra bedrooms for plenty of visitors.

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
Assuming the basement has windows, is perfectly dry, and you have a
budget to finish it properly, I'd take the basement. Put in the floor
you like, lots of storage, bright lights, design wall. And now that we
know you have an extra bedroom, we'll all come visit and help you out
:-)
Roberta in D

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:55:18 -0500, "Cindy Schmidt"
wrote:

If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~
would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old March 22nd 10, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Ha! You missed a great space, Kate. The bed in the guest room is a really
good place to pile quilts that need to be shipped, fabric that's been
pressed and gently folded, a magazine or 12 with a great idea.... no need
to let a perfectly good bed be lonesome. Polly

"Kate in MI" Many extra bedrooms... take over 2 of them! One set up for

Old March 22nd 10, 03:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I suspect the major problem with a carpeted sewing room is the dropped
needles and pins. The Yorkshire terrier here is a maniac about wanting to
chew and crunch on straight pins. We had to solve that. We took those
flat-head pins that look like they have a 4-hole button sort of head and
tied loud neon embroider floss knots through the holes. You can spy a
dropped pin immediately. Makes the floor safe for bare feet and goofy QIs.
Tying pins is slow and boring but it made life safer for the little furry
guy . . . and bare feet ... if summer Ever comes. Polly

Old March 22nd 10, 12:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:22:05 -0500, Cindy Schmidt wrote
(in article ):

OMG - my DH would have my head. I actually like the color of the "extra"
room....The owner did a good job of rehabbing it.

I'm really leaning towards the bedroom. It's HUGE if I didn't mention that
before and I LOVE to be barefoot which is such a no-no and it's all done. I
won't have to do anything to it except maybe a couple more shelves. But it
has a total of 4 closets. The things I could "hide" in there........the
thoughts are endless.

Then definitely the bedroom. Four closets! I'd kill for 4 closets to stow
my stuff in. ;-)

Maureen

Old March 22nd 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Maureen Wozniak wrote:
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:22:05 -0500, Cindy Schmidt wrote
(in article ):

OMG - my DH would have my head. I actually like the color of the "extra"
room....The owner did a good job of rehabbing it.

I'm really leaning towards the bedroom. It's HUGE if I didn't mention that
before and I LOVE to be barefoot which is such a no-no and it's all done. I
won't have to do anything to it except maybe a couple more shelves. But it
has a total of 4 closets. The things I could "hide" in there........the
thoughts are endless.

Then definitely the bedroom. Four closets! I'd kill for 4 closets to stow
my stuff in. ;-)

Maureen

I don't need closets... I need ROOMS! Think 4 rooms the size of
the GMNT's bedroom (OK, not much larger than a closet, at 5'11" wide and
8' long) with a window, and floor to ceiling shelves on runners for the
boxes of stash... A window for auditioning in natural light, and
shutters to provide blackout storing... Space in one for fabric and
costumes to hang up, rolls to stand on end, and the dress dummies to
stand to atention, and one with space for me to store the sewing machine
collection when not in use. Right now we have 29 of them! Ah, bliss!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old March 22nd 10, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

4 closets? Wow! Definitely, use the bedroom.

I wouldn't spill the paint on purpose, either. I have done it by accident,
though, (a whole gallon of dark olive on new beige Berber) and that's what
made me think of it.

I just painted my sewing room a great grayish blue and installed gray
speckled tile on the floor. I'll post pictures as soon as I finish
reinstalling the baseboards.

Valerie in FL

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
OMG - my DH would have my head. I actually like the color of the "extra"
room....The owner did a good job of rehabbing it.

I'm really leaning towards the bedroom. It's HUGE if I didn't mention
that before and I LOVE to be barefoot which is such a no-no and it's all
done. I won't have to do anything to it except maybe a couple more
shelves. But it has a total of 4 closets. The things I could "hide" in
there........the thoughts are endless.

--
Cindy from MO

(Soon to be GA)
"Valerie in FL" wrote in message
I would pick the bedroom for better light and closet space.

As far as the carpet goes, you could 'accidentally' overturn a can of
paint on the floor. You would want to paint your new sewing room your
favorite color, right?
On the other hand, carpet is easier to stand on for a long period of
time.

--
Valerie in FL (yes, sneaky is my middle name.)

My quilty stuff: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~
would you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight
for the unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want
to do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never
have in a sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would
kill me if I took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

Old March 22nd 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

I would take the bedroom, also. Right now I have the 3 season porch I
redid as a sewing
room, but no closet and it's not big. comfy enough for me, but very
cluttered and unorganized.

4 closets would be bliss.

amy in CNY
Old March 22nd 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I'd make sure there was a kitchen and bathroom in the basement and I'd pick
that.

Cindy if I break my leg, just put me in the basement

"Ms P" wrote in message
You have to ask yourself how many times a day do you want to go up and
down those stairs. If the bedroom was big enough I'd probably pick it. I
would rather be upstairs where the kitchen and bathroom are.

Ms P

Old March 22nd 10, 09:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

Cindy Schmidt wrote:
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LIKE our basement...but then it is well finished so I don't feel cold
at all in winter. It's rather cozy actually.

I have the possibility of moving upstairs to a bedroom now that the kids
are all gone but I'm not so sure....I like being close to the laundry,
it's cool in summer, the computer is all set up for when I need a break
from sewing, I don't mind the stairs (hey ya gotta have SOME exercise!).

If I were starting from scratch like you - I'd pick wherever I could
customize the best.

Have fun!!

Allison

Old March 23rd 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Funny you should mention extra bedroom. The new house if you include this
room will have 5 bedrooms. Why - hell if I know. I fell in love with the
house from the minute I seen it online and we lost it once due to someone
putting a contract on it but then they lost it because they were stupid. So
I wasn't going to let it go a second time. I thought at our age we would be
downsizing, but nooooooooo not in our case - we went way up in size. Oh
well. Four extra bedrooms for plenty of visitors.

My parents said they were downsizing and in terms of number of bedrooms
they have, they went down to 3, but one of the reasons to move was to
get away from really high ceilings, they were mostly 14 foot, guess
what, they moved into a place that has 14 foot ceilings and windows to
match, it's a new build so no fixtures and fittings and it's costing a
small fortune to put curtains and blinds up!

To totally make life wierd, all of a sudden, my mums parents bought the
flat below last week, they haven't lived in the UK for almost 30 years
and all of a sudden they are going to be in the same building as my
parents. I jokingly said we should buy the flat opposite, not knowing it
was for sale and it turns out it is, which was kind of wierd.

Anne

Sewing Rooms Sandy Ellison Quilting 0 April 29th 06 10:09 PM
lots of sewing rooms Taria Quilting 2 May 7th 05 08:12 AM
Sewing rooms - pictures Lazygirl Quilting 8 March 9th 05 01:26 AM
Covering the edges of rooms? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 1 March 5th 04 05:43 PM
Craft Rooms Christina Peterson Beads 65 September 4th 03 01:32 AM