Sewing Rooms

Old March 20th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*

Default Sewing Rooms

my vote goes for the bedroom upstairs where it is probably warmer, already
finished, closer to toilet, kitchen, phone, etc.
as for downstairs i'd think it might be damper or prone to flooding if that
happens around your area. also standing on concrete flooring, even if there
was a carpet isnt much fun after a while.
yup, my vote is for the bedroom.
seems a no-brainer to me.
j.

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote...
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

Old March 21st 10, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

My sewing space is the corner of my bedroom and I'm fairly happy with
that, we have a big bedroom (like stupid big, we don't have a big house,
but our master bedroom is a quarter of it), it's all about light for me,
our bedroom is my favourite room of the house, it's south facing and
basically functions like a living room that happens to have a bed in it.
I need cosy and light, it would be a rare basement that did that. I
have several of those plastic thingies you put under chairs, which
solves most of the carpet issue. It's a personal thing, you might have
to spend some time in the house to get a feel of it before you decide.

Cheers
Anne
Old March 21st 10, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Mar 20, 11:55*am, "Cindy Schmidt" wrote:
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. *The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

I converted an extra bedroom for mine. I have too much going on in the
basement, to also add quilting to the mix. Bicycles, woodworking,
exercise room, laundry washing and drying, ect. If I had the choice, I
would love to build a separate building just for Quilting. I would
Position it just so, to take advantage of scenic views and natural
lighting. That would be my ultimate choice. I built just such a room
for my wife, back when we lived in California. It was about 12' x 24'
and about 30 steps away from the house, in a patch of trees with a
gorgeous view. I originally intended it for myself, but she talked me
into giving it to her for her Genealogy research, and that was that.
The things one does for Love!
John

Old March 21st 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Assuming the basement has windows, is perfectly dry, and you have a
budget to finish it properly, I'd take the basement. Put in the floor
you like, lots of storage, bright lights, design wall. And now that we
know you have an extra bedroom, we'll all come visit and help you out
:-)
Roberta in D

Old March 21st 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jo Gibson

Cindy Schmidt wrote:
If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would choose the bedroom, because not only would the basement quite
probably feel less "personal" and "cosy", but I would be tempted to fill
it with fabric... and I already need to use what I have, not buy more.
It all comes down to what amount of space you think you need, and will
allow for your creativity without 1) stifling you or 2) inviting you to
just fill it with more stuff!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old March 21st 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

Roberta ~

Funny you should mention extra bedroom. The new house if you include this
room will have 5 bedrooms. Why - hell if I know. I fell in love with the
house from the minute I seen it online and we lost it once due to someone
putting a contract on it but then they lost it because they were stupid. So
I wasn't going to let it go a second time. I thought at our age we would be
downsizing, but nooooooooo not in our case - we went way up in size. Oh
well. Four extra bedrooms for plenty of visitors.

--
Cindy from MO
(Soon to be GA)

Old March 21st 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Wow ... I guess we'll have to plan a quilting retreat for RCTQ at your new
place!
Good luck with the moving and all. Pat in Virginia

Old March 21st 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 10:55:18 -0500, Cindy Schmidt wrote
(in article ):

If you were given the chance to have a sewing room all to yourself ~ would
you pick an extra "bedroom" that is HUGE or would you go straight for the
unfinished basement????

I have that decision to make here shortly and I'm torn as to what I want to
do. The extra "bedroom " is carpeted which I swore I would never have in a
sewing area again but it's brand new carpet and my DH would kill me if I
took it up.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the basement possibly going to be finished to your liking, with the
lighting you want, for a sewing room?

Maureen

Old March 22nd 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Valerie in FL

I would pick the bedroom for better light and closet space.

As far as the carpet goes, you could 'accidentally' overturn a can of paint
on the floor. You would want to paint your new sewing room your favorite
color, right?
On the other hand, carpet is easier to stand on for a long period of time.

--
Valerie in FL (yes, sneaky is my middle name.)

My quilty stuff: http://community.webshots.com/user/vjkahler

Old March 22nd 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

OMG - my DH would have my head. I actually like the color of the "extra"
room....The owner did a good job of rehabbing it.

I'm really leaning towards the bedroom. It's HUGE if I didn't mention that
before and I LOVE to be barefoot which is such a no-no and it's all done. I
won't have to do anything to it except maybe a couple more shelves. But it
has a total of 4 closets. The things I could "hide" in there........the
thoughts are endless.

--
Cindy from MO

(Soon to be GA)

Sewing Rooms Sandy Ellison Quilting 0 April 29th 06 10:09 PM
lots of sewing rooms Taria Quilting 2 May 7th 05 08:12 AM
Sewing rooms - pictures Lazygirl Quilting 8 March 9th 05 01:26 AM
Covering the edges of rooms? Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 1 March 5th 04 05:43 PM
Craft Rooms Christina Peterson Beads 65 September 4th 03 01:32 AM