knitting vs. crocheting

Old February 12th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default knitting vs. crocheting

I saw a book yesterday called "From Crochet to Knit" or something like
that. But it looked like the purpose of the book was to help you
crochet so well that it would look like knitting. Which made me
wonder...is knitting a "higher" craft than crochet? I mean, I've never
seen a book that promises to teach you to knit so well that it looks
like crochet. It was just odd to see that book. If a person wants
their crochet to look like knitting then why not just knit? Unless it's
a physical problem and you can't knit any more which I know affects at
least one person in this group. I saw another book of crocheted squares
and they were so pretty and colorful that I bought Crochet for Dummies
and I plan on learning today. I had a hard time getting my knitted
squares to measure 6X6. I have a feeling that it'll be easier if I
crochet them. Anyway, I am really curious as to your thoughts on
knitting vs. crochet. And which one is more popular?
Thanks
Pam

Old February 12th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:19:23 GMT, Qintes spewed
forth :

I saw a book yesterday called "From Crochet to Knit" or something like
that. But it looked like the purpose of the book was to help you
crochet so well that it would look like knitting. Which made me
wonder...is knitting a "higher" craft than crochet?

They both serve a purpose. Knitting is better suited to clothing
because of its flexibility. Crochet is better suited to utilitarian
items that need to hold their shape without deforming.

The books of that sort I've looked at seem to be of the "since you
don't know how to knit you can convert that knitting pattern (which
you can't read because you don't know how to knit) into a crochet
pattern.

Which sort of defeats the purpose, if the knitting is supposed to be
flexible and drapey.

Jm2c.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old February 12th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Qintes" wrote in message
[...]

I learned to crochet many years before I learned to knit. By combining the
two, things that you make with either can be truly unique. Adding a crochet
edge to knitted garments or combining the two for afghans, shawls, etc makes
things far more interesting than just doing one or the other.
DA

Old February 12th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I also learned to crochet long before learning to knit. That was
because people seemed more reluctant to show me how to knit. Looking
back, I didn't know very many people who crocheted and even fewer who
knit. My great aunt taught me to crochet and she only crocheted ripple
afghans, but that was enough to get me going. My MIL (then future MIL)
was happy to show me how to knit after I met her.

Most of the time, I prefer the look of knit items, but I still prefer
to crochet some things.

BB

Old February 12th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Pam,

I've seen the website that you convert knitting into crocheting, but
I've never tried it. I too can't get my knit squares to come out 6x6 so
gave up and they are always crocheted, even those are sometimes a
little small, but it's better to have them small as the owner can then
add a border to make them turn out to be 6x6. I have to agree with
Wooly and the others, knitting makes lovely sweaters while crocheting
is for other things, like afghans.

Hugs,

Nora who didn't get that much snow today.

Old February 12th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I tend to work without a pattern. That seems to lend itself to crochet
rather than knit. If I want to make a hat, scarf or afghan I just find
yarn that attracts me and grab a crochet hook. I have knitted mittens,
scarves and two sweaters but found that I got frustrated having to keep
one eye on a pattern. I have a book of knitted scarf and wrap patterns
and I intend to try one soon.

My mother knew how to single crochet and I learned that from her very
young. Together we made a 9x10 rag rug. I learned the other crochet
stitches from a magazine. I learned to knit in 4-H. I taught knitting
in 4-H as well.

Shana

Old February 13th 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Qintes wrote: (snipped)

I had a hard time getting my knitted
squares to measure 6X6. I have a feeling that it'll be easier if I
crochet them. Anyway, I am really curious as to your thoughts on
knitting vs. crochet. And which one is more popular?
Thanks
Pam

About the only things knit and crochet have in common is that they both
use yarn or thread and they both make fabric!!

Normally, crochet goes faster but uses about one-third more yarn or
thread and has a crisper finish. Knitting goes more slowly, uses less
yarn and has a much softer drape. I tend to knit sweaters and blankets
(yes, you can get 6" x 6" squares, check your gauge first then block the
finished product) and crochet lace edgings for pillowcases and such.
Also, when openwork lacy vests are in fashion, they are normally better
crocheted. Shawls are a judgment call - some are better knit and some
are better crocheted. Likewise, some outdoor jackets are better
crocheted to give a firmer shape and more draft resistance, others are
better knitted to give that "cuddly" feeling. Additionally, some
knitted items are improved with a crochet edging - particularly afghan
squares.

Neither skill is superior to the other, they are different techniques
for different results.

As to popularity, it goes in cycles. I remember around twenty years
ago, crochet was THE craze - everyone was doing it, although many people
never got beyond granny squares. Right now, knitting seems to be the
craze, although, again, many people will never get beyond scarves and
dishcloths.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old February 13th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

They are different. My nephew, does elaborate art pieces in crochet that
would be very cumbersome to knit, and I do knit patterns that are not
practical to crochet. So, learn both, visulize the effect that you want,
and use the technology that is most effective.

Aaron

Old February 13th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wooly wrote:

They both serve a purpose. Knitting is better suited to clothing
because of its flexibility. Crochet is better suited to utilitarian
items that need to hold their shape without deforming.

The books of that sort I've looked at seem to be of the "since you
don't know how to knit you can convert that knitting pattern (which
you can't read because you don't know how to knit) into a crochet
pattern.

Which sort of defeats the purpose, if the knitting is supposed to be
flexible and drapey.

Jm2c.

Thanks, Wooly, I hadn't thought of it that way but it does make sense.
I didn't know that crochet made a stiffer fabric. That's shocking to
me. I figured it would be the same as knitting except the stitches
would look a little different. Neat.
Pam