Questions about Trying Lampwork

Old February 6th 05, 02:00 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Default Questions about Trying Lampwork

After typing the message below, I decided to check on the shop's website to
see if they did still teach the class (I thought I had heard the worker tell
a customer they didn't do that anymore, but it's still up on their website.
Wow. The beginner class is $245! But I guess that's cheaper than buying
setup and not liking it.
http://www.glasscatbeads.com/w-pages...tm#anchor58139)
After reading this NG for a while now and looking at all the pretty lampwork
beads, I would LOVE to try it. BUT the shop that used to let you take
classes and try out their torch and kiln no longer does so.

I have a few questions. Money, as I'm sure it is with most of us, is tight.
How much is a startup for something like this? Should I even bother sticking
my toe in this if I can't afford to take it anywhere? I'm assuming I'd need
a torch, kiln, glass, mandrels and a bunch of other stuff I'm clueless
about. LOL

Does anyone know of a place in the MA/NH area that still lets people try out
lampworking before starting up their own?

--
LN in S. NH
Look at all the pretty beads!

Old February 6th 05, 02:34 PM
JavaGirlBT

LN, if you want we can email privately about Glass Cat Beads.

There are several other lampworking places in and around NH:

Queen city lampworks in Manchester - www.queencitylampworks.com

Timberwolf Studios in Lawrence - www.timberwolfstudios.net

I took my first class from Marj Bates - www.glassthings.com but she's a
little far away in Scituate Ma.

There's another studio in Dover I think, but I forget the name.

The thing about lampworking is the classes are expensive, but the set up is
even more expensive, so a class is definitely worth it if you think you want
to try it before you invest in the whole shebang. Good luck!
-also Ellen, also in NH

Old February 6th 05, 02:54 PM
Tinkster

I've found that for most folks, the reaction is instantaneous: They
get on the torch and within minutes they either love it or they don't.

If there's any way at all to make a lesser commitment (ie: a one-day
workshop as opposed to a series of classes) I would highly recommend
it. We offer walk-up beadmaking on occasion at the Museum. That offers
folks a chance to sit at the torch for about an hour to play. It
either grabs them or it doesn't.

Good luck in your journey...

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old February 6th 05, 03:07 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Yes, email or chat (I'm on Yahoo as lns_obsessed). I have a LOT of
questions.

--
LN 2 in NH
Look at all the pretty beads!

Old February 6th 05, 03:18 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

The classes are pretty pricey for only one day. I found a 10 week course for
the same price (thought it might be more informative since it was 10 weeks)
but it looks like their Spring session started in Jan.

--
LN in NH
Look at all the pretty beads!

Old February 6th 05, 03:30 PM
Diana Curtis

I get dibs on your first usable ones!
;-)
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too

Old February 6th 05, 10:20 PM
Stephanie

I get dibs on your first usable ones!
;-)
Diana

Your'e so funny

...Stephanie..

Old February 6th 05, 10:27 PM
Diana Curtis

She has my snaily addy. :-))
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
oups.com...

Old February 7th 05, 01:28 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:54:51 GMT, Tinkster
wrote:

I've found that for most folks, the reaction is instantaneous: They
get on the torch and within minutes they either love it or they don't.

If there's any way at all to make a lesser commitment (ie: a one-day
workshop as opposed to a series of classes) I would highly recommend
it. We offer walk-up beadmaking on occasion at the Museum. That offers
folks a chance to sit at the torch for about an hour to play. It
either grabs them or it doesn't.

Good luck in your journey...

Tink

Some of us don't even have to try...we can just watch and KNOW that
this is NOT an activity that sane people take up G
I know a lot of people think that since I have the total opportunity
to "train under a master" at Tink's house, pretty much whenever I
want, and I prefer not even to go down into the studio when we get
together, that I'm nuts, but I have grown very attached to my hands,
and I'm not burning them off for anyone!

Jeanne
Old February 7th 05, 01:36 AM
Diana Curtis

I like my hands too! I sure wouldnt mind getting to watch Tink work tho.
Masters always seem to make it look effortless.
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
news