Can't stand it!!

Old July 24th 11, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Can't stand it!!

I think that is one of the things DD and I disliked about it - the herd
mentality of it.

On 7/22/11 7:22 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 06:25:13 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 7/21/11 6:36 PM,
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:57:28 -0400, Susan Hartman
wrote:

And then there was semaphore .........

LOL remembering learning semaphore for my girl scout badge. I'd stand in
the street alongside my house, with a friend two blocks away, and we'd
send each other signals. I can still remember most of the alphabet...but
sure can't "read" it backwards like I used to!

sue (anybody have any use for an old GS sash with LOTS of badges??)

Lol, I don't think they do badges anymore do they ? Under that
stupid idea that it's not good for some kids to feel they didn't win -
sigh.

That was one easy badge for me as my father taught me semaphore as we
used to speak between yachts when ocean racing in semaphore.

actually they still do badges, but badges are agreed upon by the troop
to work on together. you are no longer encouraged to do them by yourself.

That's so Big Brother - breed them all as a group, no individuals
allowed. The whole point of GG when I was a kid was to fire you into
achieving - for yourself - build confidence etc.

Old July 24th 11, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/23/11 12:16 PM, Gillian Murray wrote:
On 7/22/2011 9:03 AM, Donna wrote:

I can see making sure playground pieces do not have projecting pieces
that could be dangerous but saying they must not be over five feet
high ? Not much thrill there - a five foot slide ??

Bah! What a load of cods wallop ! Perhaps kids should stay in utero
until they are adults ?

Stay in utero until adults!!!

Thanks for my laugh for the morning!

Donna in Virginia

It does create an awesome mental image Mom with two or three teenagers
in utero. Even worse than your Walmart pics. LOL

Gill

ugh - I haven't had breakfast yet!

Old July 24th 11, 11:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

wrote:

And then there was semaphore .........

LOL remembering learning semaphore for my girl scout badge. I'd stand in
the street alongside my house, with a friend two blocks away, and we'd
send each other signals. I can still remember most of the alphabet...but
sure can't "read" it backwards like I used to!

sue (anybody have any use for an old GS sash with LOTS of badges??)

Lol, I don't think they do badges anymore do they ? Under that
stupid idea that it's not good for some kids to feel they didn't win -
sigh.

That was one easy badge for me as my father taught me semaphore as we
used to speak between yachts when ocean racing in semaphore.

actually they still do badges, but badges are agreed upon by the troop
to work on together. you are no longer encouraged to do them by yourself.

That's kind of sad. Working on a badge together as a troop can be fun
but it was also fun to work alone on a badge that the other girls may
not have been really interested in.

and there in lies the problem. And majority said no to 90% of what DD
would want to do as a Brownie or Junior. Supposedly the "older girls"
would do individual stuff.

Old July 25th 11, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.[_2_]

On Jul 22, 5:25*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

actually they still do badges, but badges are agreed upon by the troop
to work on together. you are no longer encouraged to do them by yourself.

To me, that goes against all that GS stand for, as Sheena mentioned.
It wasn't that way when DD was in Scouts not toooo long ago. I wonder
if it's just that troop and the leader wants it that way so it's
easier for him/her. Have you checked around with other troops or
asked at the local GS office? I think I would, especially since it
seems E doesn't have many similar interests as the other girls.

Just my nickel's worth.

Old July 25th 11, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 7/23/2011 4:11 PM, Gillian Murray wrote:

wrote:

[...]

When I was a GS leader, and we were stationed in Scotland, I made a list
of all the badges that had one or two parts that just needed completion,
and stuck it on the frig. Whenever the DD whined "There's nothing to
do"..I pointed her to the list. My asst leader, a Norwegian woman, did
the same thing with her daughter. As a result, they earned more badges
than the other kids, but that was because of "The List!"

Actually that was a lot of fun because the two of us participated in
events with the local Girl Guide leaders.

Gill

That's basically how I got so many badges. Another girl in the
neighborhood and I looked through the whole book and identified all the
things we already had half done just in the course of living our daily
lives, and we completed the other half ourselves. Our troop leader was a
stay at home mom who lived only two short blocks away, and we often
would traipse over there on an afternoon to tell her what we'd
accomplished and had her sign off on it.

Of course, this was back in the day of long, lazy summer afternoons and
being left to our own devices...very unlike a lot of families now, for
better or worse. (I try to be mindful that though it was great for me
growing up, there were always people in other circumstances for whom
this wouldn't have worked...and that for every statement "in the good
old days," it wasn't necessarily "good" for vast numbers of people.)

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old July 26th 11, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 7/25/11 12:46 PM, Joan E. wrote:
On Jul 22, 5:25 am, Cheryl wrote:

actually they still do badges, but badges are agreed upon by the troop
to work on together. you are no longer encouraged to do them by yourself.

To me, that goes against all that GS stand for, as Sheena mentioned.
It wasn't that way when DD was in Scouts not toooo long ago. I wonder
if it's just that troop and the leader wants it that way so it's
easier for him/her. Have you checked around with other troops or
asked at the local GS office? I think I would, especially since it
seems E doesn't have many similar interests as the other girls.

Just my nickel's worth.

we're long out - I wish she had found something in scouts, but never
really did. E liked the outdoorsy stuff but the crafts were of no interest.

I never took the "junior' training but feedback was badges should be a
group effort - you needed to do stuff with others - at least one but
preferable a group.

Shrug

Old July 28th 11, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Michelle G.

I agree completely! My grown kids and I have this "discussion" frequently.
I have a theory about why they have raised their kids to be this way: my
kids were all born in the late 60's so now are in their 40's. During their
childhood there was no war, no "cold war", no Cuban crisis, no bomb shelters
in the basement, no air raid drills, no real hardships, it was safe and they
had nothing to fear. Then came instant news, we see crime while it's
happening, not in the newspaper the next day. No matter where it happens,
it's in our living rooms almost instantly. So, these young parents are
afraid, they think it's right on their doorstep and they keep their kids
close.
Well, that's my theory.
There is a good book on this subject by Lenore Skenazy, "Free-Range Kids:
Giving Our Children the Freedom We Had Without Going Nuts with Worry".
Maybe it would be a good read for these young parents.

Michelle G.

wrote:

Lol, I don't think they do badges anymore do they ? Under that
stupid idea that it's not good for some kids to feel they didn't win -
sigh.

That was one easy badge for me as my father taught me semaphore as we
used to speak between yachts when ocean racing in semaphore.

actually they still do badges, but badges are agreed upon by the troop
to work on together. you are no longer encouraged to do them by yourself.

Continuing on my theme of how they raise kids in shelters these days -
I just listened to an item on CBC radio - it seems all our playground
areas are being renovated to make them safer ! Never mind the kids do
not find them so much fun, another reason for them to stay home,
indoors.

They spoke to someone in Norway who said they decided to resist this
idea, that kids have accidents sometimes, whether or not that's good
but the vast majority do not and it's a good way for kids to
understand their levels and capabilities.

That sounds like good, common sense (which we rarely see today
particularly where government is concerned) I can recall my first
diving experiences, how I worked up to the next board up etc. I didn't
just dive off the top board right away because I didn't know how but
by the end of the summer was doing so.

Stand Tricia Needlework 0 May 13th 06 02:56 PM
OT - Stand up! Johanna Gibson Quilting 25 June 27th 05 03:30 PM
Where do I stand? John Jewelry 4 February 21st 05 08:43 PM
Stand down, I'm not going to cry Polly Esther Quilting 8 February 17th 05 01:35 AM
What does OT stand for? Pitt Needlework 2 October 7th 04 03:32 PM